Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-06-2024, 02:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

1960s? Rock-ola Jukebox acquired and need some info

Greetings everyone, today I acquired a what I'm assuming is a 1960s vintage Rock-ola jukebox that purports to be "stereo" but I wasn't aware of any 45 RPM records that were ever released that were stereo, so maybe it was a gimmick?

Anyways the unit is mostly functional except for the turntable platter is missing, its missing the needle, and the record pickup arm is malfunctioning and I was wondering if there was any service data for this unit, and if there was any parts that could be acquired for for this unit from say Voice of Music Enthusiasts or some place similar?

This is my first Jukebox I've ever owned (I've known people and currently know someone who owns a jukebox, but never owned one personally before.)
I've always wanted a jukebox but could never afford one before, but I was finally able to get one at a good price from a co-worker at work, and I only had to give $200 and it came with a box of an additional 200 records besides the 100+ records I already had on hand, that people gave me over the years.

Any help and info would be appreciated.

P. S. This does have a tube amplifier in it and the Model Number given on the front panel is GP-160 which I don't know if that is the actual model number or if its just a capacity designation, or if that number is even of any use to anyone on here in identifying anything service data for this unit.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jukebox Front View.jpg (137.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Jukebox Mechanism.JPG (106.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Jukebox Tonearm assembly.JPG (92.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Jukebox Turntable mechanism.JPG (112.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Jukebox Powersupply and panel light transformer.JPG (110.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Jukebox Information tag.JPG (128.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-06-2024, 03:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

From a wiki search;

"The plastic 45 RPM single is manufactured in PVC (vinyl), or more rarely, in cheaper and more brittle polystyrene. The first 7" records were monaural, but by 1971, almost all 45 RPM records were produced in stereo."

Oh, and,

I know nothing about jukeboxes other than they are for restoration masochists

In all sincerity, I wish you the best with it
Old 04-06-2024, 04:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
From a wiki search;

"The plastic 45 RPM single is manufactured in PVC (vinyl), or more rarely, in cheaper and more brittle polystyrene. The first 7" records were monaural, but by 1971, almost all 45 RPM records were produced in stereo."

Oh, and,

I know nothing about jukeboxes other than they are for restoration masochists

In all sincerity, I wish you the best with it
Thanks, I hope to maybe get it going and see if I can maybe turn around and sell it for double or triple what I bought it for.
I've always been fascinated by old coin-op electromechanical devices like pinball machines and jukeboxes and I've actually got an uncle who owns an AMI-ROWE Jukebox from about the same time period as this jukebox and I figure this will give me some experience working on them so that if my uncle needs work done on his I could work on his jukebox for him.
Old 04-11-2024, 04:27 PM
Damn does run fast…

Rock-Olas from that vintage are pretty collectible. Beware the dreaded 6973 tube!

You will need to disassemble, clean and re-lube the gripper arm. Manuals are easily available, and parts are pretty easy to come by. These things were like TV sets, mostly different cabinets and slight mechanical variations.

Most issues are things being greasy, out of adjustment, or dirty.

If you want torture, you want a late 50s Seeburg!
Old 04-11-2024, 11:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasadowsk View Post
Rock-Olas from that vintage are pretty collectible. Beware the dreaded 6973 tube!

You will need to disassemble, clean and re-lube the gripper arm. Manuals are easily available, and parts are pretty easy to come by. These things were like TV sets, mostly different cabinets and slight mechanical variations.

Most issues are things being greasy, out of adjustment, or dirty.

If you want torture, you want a late 50s Seeburg!
Where might I find the service data/manuals for this Jukebox?

Also do you have any suggestions of where I might locate some of the parts I need for this jukebox? The parts I need for this currently are the turntable platter, the cartridge, and needle, and a door and key for the coinbox, and a lock and key for the top cover.

Also what's wrong with the 7868 output tubes in this jukebox that I should be aware of them?

Last edited by vortalexfan; 04-11-2024 at 11:55 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-13-2024, 09:36 AM
Damn does run fast…

There’s a good group on facebook that deals with all makes/vintages, and can help you out with everything you need.

There’s nothing wrong with jukes with 6973s, just they’re expensive tubes.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
Also what's wrong with the 7868 output tubes in this jukebox that I should be aware of them?
Price...

The Westinghouse 7868 is a fine tube - long lasting and great sounding. The "problem" was that it became hard to find because the production run was short. These were some of the very last tubes designed and produced before the fairly rapid changeover to transistors started. RCA's "version" is the 7591 and has an octal base instead although is otherwise virtually identical.

Many guitar amps and music amps had these tubes, so when production stopped, there wasn't decades of old stock kicking around the prices skyrocketed. Then the Russians, before they decided to try to rebuild the evil empire, put many vintage tubes back into production, including the 7591 series. These are also now made in Slovakia - at least the 7591 - not sure about the 7868.

The 7868 and its 7591 octal cousin are made in Russia and they actually did a fine job with them, and for a while, they were a lot cheaper than the dwindling supply of NOS or good used 7868/7591.

Now, the prices of even Evil Empire tubes have gone up big time, and current production is pricey once again.

But, while the 7591/7868 series is a great sounding and long lasting tube in high quality music and guitar amps, juke boxes (let's be honest) generally have at best ordinary amplifiers in them anyway, and even if they don't, usually have crappy phono cartridges. If I ran into one of these machines that need 7868 output tubes (which are much more expensive than the almost identical 7591), I would replace the sockets with octals and rewire for 7591s or even the 6L6GC.

John

Last edited by JohnCT; 04-18-2024 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-21-2024, 01:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

OK Thanks for the heads up about these tubes, I tested them on my tube tester and they all tested fine yet, so it looks like I should be good for right now, and I'm planning on reselling this jukebox so I can let whoever buys this unit from me worry about replacing the tubes.

What do you guys think would be a fair asking price for this jukebox once I get it going?

I was thinking about $1,500 without the extra 200 45 rpm records and about $2,000 with the extra records. Does that sound about right or am I way off?
Old 04-21-2024, 10:59 AM
Damn does run fast…

You’re a lot high. Collectible, but not that much. I’d say $700-800. And don’t bother with the records adding more. 99% chance the first thing the new owner does is unload and toss them. A clean, working machine without records brings more than brings more than a crappy busted one with them. Appearance and functionality are what folks want.

If you give the amp a once-over, you might be able to add a hundred or so. There’s few paper caps in these by that year. I think Rock-Ola still used that funky doubler power supply at the time.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
You’re a lot high. Collectible, but not that much. I’d say $700-800. And don’t bother with the records adding more. 99% chance the first thing the new owner does is unload and toss them. A clean, working machine without records brings more than brings more than a crappy busted one with them. Appearance and functionality are what folks want.

If you give the amp a once-over, you might be able to add a hundred or so. There’s few paper caps in these by that year. I think Rock-Ola still used that funky doubler power supply at the time.
I did check the capacitors in the amplifier on this unit and they all checked good yet (the electrolytics that is) the coupling caps were mostly mylar and film caps.

So the fact that its already loaded with 160 45s with matching jukebox labels for the jukebox display panel doesn't help the value of the jukebox?
Audiokarma
Old 04-22-2024, 09:58 AM
Damn does run fast…

You can find 45s basically anywhere. My big issue with stocking my jukeboxes, is that most places here with 45s don’t sort them in any useful order, besides having a few rooms of milk crates of records. Sucks having to sort through a few thousand records to find you want, in unabused condition.

I recently picked up a Seeburg R. I don’t like Stevie Wonder, the guy I picked up from did. Once I got it into scan, we both emptied it out. He pulled the title strips for me.

The records do squat for the value. Esp if you’re like me and load with period correct stuff. And on a 1954 machine, that’s not what you’d think. This one’s gonna be cool - we know the history of the machine, which neat because I know roughly what actually would have gone into it…
Old 04-24-2024, 06:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
You can find 45s basically anywhere. My big issue with stocking my jukeboxes, is that most places here with 45s don’t sort them in any useful order, besides having a few rooms of milk crates of records. Sucks having to sort through a few thousand records to find you want, in unabused condition.

I recently picked up a Seeburg R. I don’t like Stevie Wonder, the guy I picked up from did. Once I got it into scan, we both emptied it out. He pulled the title strips for me.

The records do squat for the value. Esp if you’re like me and load with period correct stuff. And on a 1954 machine, that’s not what you’d think. This one’s gonna be cool - we know the history of the machine, which neat because I know roughly what actually would have gone into it…
Well most of the records that came with this Jukebox I got were mostly old Country-Western and Rock and Roll records and they all have sleeves with them yet including some that have picture sleeves with them yet. Some of the Artists that came with this jukebox included Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Heart, a few Christmas records, Billy Ray Cyrus, Conway Twitty, Chicago, Eddie Murphy, Bob Seger, The Judds, Oakridge Boys, and much more.

Also what if I were to tell you I've already got several people interested in my jukebox and one person was actually interested in it with the records for $1500?

The person interested in it for $1500 is actually a local record store, and then there's several old diners in my area that have been around since the early 1900s that might be interested in it as well if they don't already have a jukebox.

Also I got the turntable platter for the jukebox today and tomorrow I'll be getting the cartridge for the tonearm, I also was able to get ahold of a PDF of the service manual for the Jukebox, but I had to pay $25 to get it (much like how Sam's does it with their Service Manuals, but at least these were better quality scans and the scematics were all on one page for each section of the jukebox.)
Now all that's missing (and I'm not sure if I'll find one) is the spring for adjusting the tonearm weight for the cartridge tracking weight.

Also I'm going to need the motor grommets replaced on the turntable drive motor because they're in bad shape (and one of them was missing when I got the unit, and I was able to find it inside the cabinet but then I lost it again.)

Last edited by vortalexfan; 04-24-2024 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:06 PM
M is for Memory

Most restaurants if they don't want the juke for a static display either will expect you to maintain it for them, or will expect it to never break and be mad once it does...Some boxes can go for years without service, others need serviced regularly. I don't know what category yours fits in, but it could turn into a pain if the restaurant wants to use it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4