Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

YES: This set has the CTC-9 chassis, Like my 59 Boswell that I am having snaking problems with. Someone could have gotten it for 150.00, before it was removed. chipper
Old 03-08-2008, 11:46 PM
<-- sucker for old sets.

It's back.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/RCA-TV-Vintage_W...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-09-2008, 09:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wow!!! According to "a collector of many years.......there are only seven others known to exist"!!
Bob.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Maybe he just means that that collector only knows of seven others.
To make matters worse he plugged it in and tried it.

Bill R
Old 03-09-2008, 03:44 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

I sent him a note earlier saying 1) don't turn it on, and 2) can you get a CRT tester on it?

Now we see the idiotic response.
Audiokarma
Old 03-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

"I'm so stupit, I'm Oh-So Stoo-pit...." Grrrrr....
Old 03-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Respect the tube!

Well, I dunno if I am stupid or not for doing this but I won the bidding on the CTC-9 in GA.

It is a freaking lot to pay and I will have to sell a couple of things on the bay to make up for it...but I have been wanting one of these sets for a long, long time.

A nice long 12 hour road trip one way to boot, but she is going to be mine.

Roy
Old 03-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Bob Galanter

Congrrats! I was considering bidding but then when I looked at the condition of the top of the cabinet and decided to take a pass.
Does anyone know for sure if this set has a real veneer cabinet, or is it one of those photographic fake woodgrain finishes??????

Those photo finishes are so hard to repair. However, I have an artist friend and I am going to have him see if he can replicate the damaged areas on my CTC5, using tiny artist paint brushes and paint the missing areas to match. Then I will overlay with clear coat until the surface is level and then spray a coat of acrylic lacquer over the entire cabinet so it all matches. If it works out I will report on it here on AK. If the technique is a flop, then I wont waste anyones time telling about it.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 03-15-2008, 09:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohyodafarted View Post
Congrrats! I was considering bidding but then when I looked at the condition of the top of the cabinet and decided to take a pass.
Does anyone know for sure if this set has a real veneer cabinet, or is it one of those photographic fake woodgrain finishes??????

Those photo finishes are so hard to repair. However, I have an artist friend and I am going to have him see if he can replicate the damaged areas on my CTC5, using tiny artist paint brushes and paint the missing areas to match. Then I will overlay with clear coat until the surface is level and then spray a coat of acrylic lacquer over the entire cabinet so it all matches. If it works out I will report on it here on AK. If the technique is a flop, then I wont waste anyones time telling about it.

Hi;
I can tell you for sure that it is a photofinish on the "Anniversary" model set. Lucky for me that my set (also the "Anniversary" model) was in fairly good condition. When I first got the set I was considering trying to redo the finish but after some heavy duty compounding, polishing, and filling in the light spots with a dark wood color marker, the end result was quite acceptable.

Bob
Old 03-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Respect the tube!

Well, there is no question that it will be a challenge. I have been looking into wood veneers that I may have to use to bring that back. I know it would be preferable to keep the photo finish but this to too grand of a lady to let her look so rough.

I will just have to see once I can actually lay my own eyes on it. Snapshots rarely show things accurately, but that being said...the top is a mess.

And it is not the end of the world if there is a veneer of nice wood that somewhat replicates that of the original finish. While it would not be original, it would be preferable to the current look of a trashed up top.

Roy
Audiokarma
Old 03-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I hope it didn't get "blowed away" in the round of tornados bangin' thru Jawja last couple of days...they "Tore up Jack" in Atlanta...
Old 03-15-2008, 03:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Roy,

Not to rain on your parade, bad pun, I know.
I hope, because of the unstable weather, you have a closed van. Curious if you figured in the current outrageous price of gas and other expenses in making the trip from Okla.City to Atlanta when you made your final bid? Have a safe trip and take some rest breaks.

-Steve D.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Respect the tube!

Fortunately the set is about 70 miles North of Atlanta near the Tennessee border.

Roy
Old 03-15-2008, 09:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAkid View Post
Well, I dunno if I am stupid or not for doing this but I won the bidding on the CTC-9 in GA.

It is a freaking lot to pay and I will have to sell a couple of things on the bay to make up for it...but I have been wanting one of these sets for a long, long time.

A nice long 12 hour road trip one way to boot, but she is going to be mine.

Roy
How do you get from OK city to 70 miles north of Atlanta in only 12 hours? I need to know that route. I live in Jackson TN and I have family in Oklahoma. It is a good 8 hours from Memphis to Oklahoma city. That trip will be more like 14 to 15 hours one way. Assuming you go through Chattanooga TN, and you don't stop for food. You can take 78 out of Memphis, but it will make the trip about 18 hours long, I don't care what mapquest says. Unless you know a good short cut.

Bill R
Old 03-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Respect the tube!

Well, we will see on the trip time. Nothing is for sure until you are actually on the road.

I made it to Denver in 9 hours with a 1 hour stop. But I do drive 80-85 on average and the radar det is my best buddy on the road.

But even then, I will be traveling through some pretty country and one of my favorite sayings is "the journey IS the destination."

Roy
Audiokarma