Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-02-2003, 03:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA Model#GF 703 L Picture

Can anyone come up with a picture for my RCA GF 703 L? It is the one I took out of storage the other day, I think someone did a "switcheroo" years ago. The front bezel for the crt and tuner is (I think) one for a two speaker model (no holes for speaker) And chassis serial# does not match the one on the back. the chassis is a ctc 16. When I got it running I noticed the sound was muffled and noticed there were speaker mounts but no holes to let the sound out! If I can see what the model looked like that went with the cabinet that may clear things up.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Dwight, Here is my CTC15 that has the exact bezel and it has a single speaker down below. What appears to be a speaker location on the bezel is completely "metalized" with no holes. Your TV is called the "monroe" and is a 1964 TV. Mine is a 64, so it probably had the same bezel but holes for the speaker.

Last edited by drh4683; 04-04-2003 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

The crt lens was replaced and now looks normal, this is an old picture.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Banned

Captain,

Your set has the same cabinet as this CTC16E I have.

Rob

Last edited by Rob; 04-04-2003 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:34 PM
Banned

Captain,

Yet appears to have the guts of the latest one I picked up which is similar to the faceplate on my CTC-20. This one was restored and works so I haven't pulled the back to see what it is yet.

Rob
Audiokarma
Old 04-04-2003, 10:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

My first thought was that someone "upgraded" it to the nicer front long ago, I talked to the customer that gave it to me in 1981, Yes they are still around! both are in their early 90's and in good health, And couldn't believe I held on to their "old" set that long! Turns out they bought it used from a tv shop that used to be near them. It was to be used in the basement as a second set but never got used much as they didnt like the ring that was forming around the tube and felt they might have been "taken" on it, However never said anything about it because they were friends with the shop owner. When I asked about the shop, They said it closed in the late eighties when the owner died.
My assumption is that it was put together with whatever the shop owner had on hand and sold to Mr Cutter in the mid 70's Heck, He said he only spent 75.00 for it back then, Not really a lot of money for a color set under 10 years old at the time.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Rob,
Does your set that matches my cabinet still have the model# on the back? If the number is the same as mine I'll know what happened!
Old 04-05-2003, 09:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Took the time today and removed the pva on the crt, What a difference now! It only took about 1 1/2 hours to do using the heat gun or "Harland" method. Also found that the slots for the speaker are there, Just needed to knock out the thin metal in between, Was real easy with a flat blade screw driver and moderate pressure. Looked almost as thin as casting flash and just as easy to remove. What it looks like to me is this set was originally like robs twin, The tv guy probably "upgraded" it to the nicer front, I know I would have, As the original two knob front is ugly! Well, The tv is working now with a decent color picture and sound that finally comes out the front. I will touch up the convergence tomorrow.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's a pic of the repaired crt. Heck, I'm starting to like these roundies again!
Old 04-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Banned

Captain,

Congratulations on restoring the CRT, and the set. I'm gonna have to try this delamination method. Working on large CRT's like this makes me really nervous though.

Rob
Audiokarma
Old 04-06-2003, 10:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, Rob it made me nervous also! I kept heat from a 150w floodlamp aimed at the middle of the tube as I went around with the heat gun trying not to localize heat. Even with gloves and protective goggles on I was still worried about what might happen.
I dug out a little area on both sides with my plexiglass, It took only a minute or so with the pva heated up, I then noticed air pockets spreading across the glass rapidly then that was it! I just lifted off the outer glass! The pva pretty much came off in a sheet.
The other method mentioned using the nichrome"hot" wire sounds faster, But with my luck would end in disaster.
I was told originally that when these tubes were rebuilt they heated them in an oven with their vacuum relieved to remove the implosion shield.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Dwight,

Too cool!! Looks great. Glad the my heat gun method worked!

Just as a note to those who try the heat gun method. works wonderful on the rca tubes, or any tube with the white dryed out look on the edges. The PVA is slightly different from the zenith tubes. Basically, if you have green halo, do not attempt to use the heat gun technique as you will destroy the lens, it will crack, as you heat it up. The pva is extremely thin twards the center on the zenith crts (almost as thin as a sheet of construction paper!), so when an air pocket is created...CRACK!, you have sucessfully destroyed the lens. the lens will also crack if you try from the edge. Even a heat lamp will ruin it. Unfortunatly I am speaking from exerience. I guess you dont find out untill you try. The PVA on the green halo does not dry out like the rcas, it maintains is resilence and is sticky and slimy compared to the rca pva which is dry and does not have that much adhesive characteristics to it, thats why it works so well with heat, it will produce an air pocket and pop off with a bit of wedged pressure from the edge. Zenith pva is a total pain to remove, it takes forever and comes off; in bits and peices and tears off every fingertip of the way and leaves a bad residue that nothing will remove. Ive used WD-40 grease removers, basically scrubbing the lens with an abrasive sponge works the best using simple green. Even that is a pain and takes too long. Here is my advise, DONT TOUCH GREEN HALO (unless you use the hot wire technique which works excellent as I found out after some experimentation) But remember, you will still have to remove the pva from the face of the crt!
Have fun!!!

Last edited by drh4683; 04-07-2003 at 10:28 PM.