Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > International Vintage Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cross border TV & radio..

I have some friends in Ireland & every single one of them watches British TV almost every day either via an antenna on the roof pointing at Britain, via British Freesat or cable. When I was on vacation in Malta & Canary Islands just every hotel & bar had British or German satellite TV on... When I was a kid in the 60's we had 3 radio stations: BBC's light, home & third, so us younger ones would wait till night time & listen to pop music on Radio Luxembourg or American Forces Network (AFN) from Germany via skywave on AM... Do any Americans watch or listen to foreign stations?
Old 10-18-2017, 12:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
I have some friends in Ireland & every single one of them watches British TV almost every day either via an antenna on the roof pointing at Britain, via British Freesat or cable. When I was on vacation in Malta & Canary Islands just every hotel & bar had British or German satellite TV on... When I was a kid in the 60's we had 3 radio stations: BBC's light, home & third, so us younger ones would wait till night time & listen to pop music on Radio Luxembourg or American Forces Network (AFN) from Germany via skywave on AM... Do any Americans watch or listen to foreign stations?
Here in Canada we often watch TV from the USA, via cable TV networks, and it's easy to tune in AM radio stations too.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:37 PM
Peanut Head

I live in Arkansas which teabags Texas...so we get several stations out of Mexico here.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:08 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Most other Americans consider Tennessee a "Furrin" land anyway...But, yeah, we can pull in Canadian stations here at night..As well as a few Mexican stations. I listen to "Ground Zero" w/Clyde Lewis, & then "Coast to Coast AM w/George Noory" I wish both of them would get a more local affiliate station(s), you're ALWAYS fighting w/the Bible-beater brigade, & The "Game"-Sports stations for those who simply CAN'T live w/o listening to some sort of sports station that is more important than anything else. Believe it or Nutz, we have a local station WCRK that is an actual radio station that plays MUSIC-What a Concept ! They are located in Morristown, Tennessee about 25 miles away, but somehow or another they put out enuf juice at night to have a signal that is good enuf to listen to. And its Rock 'n' Roll- Or at least its not some jakeleg preacher, some kuntry-lovin' twaddle, a couple of drunks droning on incessantly about what a GREAT Ballplayer Mortimer J. Snerd is...
Old 10-20-2017, 01:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

In eastern Canada, there is a long history of cross border broadcasting. US television which had color well before Canada did (67 versus 54 in the USA) was the target of the majority of Canadians who live within 30 miles of the border. Likewise there were cases where radio stations like CKLW (the big 8) were essentially border blasters. In the west there was KVOS TV in Bellingham, WA: this was a US station which was the first station in the Vancouver BC market signing on in 1953 (in time for Queen Elizabeth's coronation). They eventually licensed and had offices in both countries.
Audiokarma
Old 10-20-2017, 01:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

I listen to two Canadian stations; one in French from Alberta. I used to listen to Mexican stations but I get considerable QRM from the computer equipment. Besides their are two local Hispanic stations of which one is "supposedly" local. I prefer CFZM to any other station PERIOD!
Old 10-20-2017, 10:05 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Back in 1977, there was a mini Kerfuffle over the song, "Ariel".. The song was about a guy who manages to Woo & Seduce a Jewish gal. But you could ONLY know tat if you could pick up a Canuckistan radio station.. They censored all traces of Ariel being anything more controversial than white bread. Apparently, us homicidal redneck kids would riot if they/we found out The REAL Story..The whole ball of wax was pretty Asinine no matter if Ariel had been unmasked to be a Joo terrorist.I kinda "Dug" the fact she apparently didn't like wearin' a Bra.. People who get all tore up about stuff like THAT Really needed to "Chill", & get some sort of Hobby..
Old 10-25-2017, 12:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

I remember listening to AFN in Italy from Germany, would catch all of the north American sports live on there, albeit at ungodly hours at night!! Or Radio Caroline off the coast somewhere while living in London. Good memories!!!
Old 10-25-2017, 07:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

There was a time when I could get BCTV from the coast over the mountains but that time has since past and we don't really have any DTV offerings.
Now AM radio on the other hand, on some nights I can still get stations in Olympia and Tacoma which are about 600km away.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:00 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Here in the Pittsburgh/Ohio Valley area, I've picked up AM stations from Canada, Cuba, Mexico and the Netherlands Antilles.I also picked up Berkeley, California one night in the extended AM band. TV stations, I'm in a valley so no luck there but when I was in Pittsburgh, I've picked up WRC-TV from Washington, DC one night on Channel 4 when WTAE-TV signed off, this was about 1988 andI was using the 1982 Zenith.

I did manage to talk to Canada on 2 meters using my HTX-202 with a rubber duck, one watt of power and 6 AA batteries. I was standing at the edge of Lake Erie and my signal went 50 miles across the water and 20 to 30 more into Ontario. I joined up with the local net up there when they had their nightly roundtable. I was the only US ham there.
Audiokarma
Old 11-16-2017, 03:29 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1a View Post
I listen to two Canadian stations; one in French from Alberta. I used to listen to Mexican stations but I get considerable QRM from the computer equipment. Besides their are two local Hispanic stations of which one is "supposedly" local. I prefer CFZM to any other station PERIOD!
+1 on CFZM aka AM 740, signal improves with cold weather coming up . CKLW was always clear no matter the season. There is one on 860 or 870 from Quebec that has very interesting music also.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:24 PM
<----Zenith C845

CKLW (AM) 800, "the big 8" in Windsor, was one of my favorite stations when I was growing up in the 1970s. John Belmont was a newscaster on the station at the time; either before or after CKLW switched to its all-talk format, he joined ABC News as a radio newscaster. As I do not listen much to AM radio anymore since most stations are now all talk, however, I don't know whether he is still with CKLW or what became of him.

The former CKLW (FM) is now CIDR "The River" and plays modern rock. That station, like CKLW-AM, came in to my area like gangbusters in the summer, although, unlike the AM station, CIDR/formerly CKLW-FM does not reach my area around this time of the year. There is an FM station about 10 miles from me, at 93.7 MHz on the FM dial, that just signed on (as in just over a year ago), however, that often (more often than not) spills over and ruins reception of any station at 93.9. I guess that doesn't bother the management of CIDR-FM, since their intended audience is Windsor-Detroit--not Cleveland or Lake County, Ohio, the latter being where I live.

BTW, one of Cleveland's major UHF television stations, the CBS affiliate on channel 19, transmits exclusively on DTV channel 10, which is giving station CFPL-TV in London, Ontario fits since the latter is getting co-channel interference from Cleveland's channel 19 (RF 10) in the summer, and vice-versa. The issue hasn't been resolved, nor do I think it will ever be since Cleveland's station flatly refuses (for financial reasons, no doubt) to install a translator for the one area its channel 10 (9.5 kW ERP) DTV signal does not reach--the area along the south shore of Lake Erie.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

In the Boston area 1970's we would listen to CKLW often.
Since most car radios were AM only we often listened around to
find the music we wanted. Now I would say the most popular
Canajin AM is "AM 740, Toronto" Sry cant remember the call.
A real class act with big band & swing. Since that generation is
almost gone things are changing. Its sad as IMHO big band is second
only to Doo-Wop.
TV was out of range to us so you had to wait for some sporatic-E
to catch a glimpse. Not much different than ours but Canada
had Red Green, a show as good as any from anywheres.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 11-26-2017, 10:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

For listeners in the west, CKMX 1060 in Calgary provides a nightly dose of comedy radio. All comedy radio is seldom heard these days, so I find it a refreshing change from the usual nightime fare, in small doses.

http://www.nf8m.com/pattern_maps/US-...p_1060KHz.html

jr
Old 12-03-2017, 10:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
There was a time when I could get BCTV from the coast over the mountains but that time has since past and we don't really have any DTV offerings.
Now AM radio on the other hand, on some nights I can still get stations in Olympia and Tacoma which are about 600km away.
BCTV or CHAN had the largest network of translators and LP TXs all over the province. Many were fed off of the CanCom Anik satellite feed.
Audiokarma