Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

"hatbox" 78 rpm record player

Here is an unusual looking 78 rpm record player from probably the late '40's that looks like a hatbox when closed up. I've looked this thing over and can't find any hint as to who made it. At some point, someone replaced the filter capacitors in the amp; but, I plan to give the whole thing a going over. Unfortunately, this is one of those models without a preamp tube; so, I may have to add an extra preamp stage for use with a modern lower output cartridge. The original cartridge is missing; so, I'll probably replace it with either an 89T powerpoint or a Pfanstiehl P51-3.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

That is cool!

I like it.

Thank you for the information and pictures.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:36 AM
Peanut Head

Yup....it used one of those huge Astatic crystal carts with metal needles...or if you were fancy sapphire.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Here is an unusual looking 78 rpm record player from probably the late '40's that looks like a hatbox when closed up. I've looked this thing over and can't find any hint as to who made it. At some point, someone replaced the filter capacitors in the amp; but, I plan to give the whole thing a going over. Unfortunately, this is one of those models without a preamp tube; so, I may have to add an extra preamp stage for use with a modern lower output cartridge. The original cartridge is missing; so, I'll probably replace it with either an 89T powerpoint or a Pfanstiehl P51-3.

According to the date on the 35Y4, mid-1947.
A real novel approach, using the case top, as the turntable. It looks like it was made by a very small concern, as they used machine screws and nuts, to mount the tube sockets and other components.
Hang on to it! Probably VERY RARE!
Old 01-27-2015, 12:37 PM
M is for Memory

Wow, radiotvnut sure has a knack for finding the coolest phonos.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 01-27-2015, 09:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

What are the tubes in that thing? What does the circuit look like?

Would it be easily possible to replace the rectifier with a
silicon diode and use the tube socket for a preamp tube?
Old 01-27-2015, 09:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
What are the tubes in that thing? What does the circuit look like?

Would it be easily possible to replace the rectifier with a
silicon diode and use the tube socket for a preamp tube?
The tubes look like a 35Y4 and a 50A5.

Best to strip the original circuit and move the 50A5 tube to the 35Y4 socket and wire the 50A5 socket for a 14B6 triode preamp tube. Then use a silicon rectifier and replace the voltage dropping resistor with a 420 ohm, 10 watt resistor.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:25 PM
M is for Memory

I wonder if there are any loctal rectifier/output combo tube types? There is an octal type 117L7 IIRC that is a power rectifier/output pentode. Something like that would allow a preamp without the dead giveaway of a circuit change that a modern diode would be.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-27-2015, 11:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

An idea I had is to use a combination triode output tube like a 6bm8, or higher voltage variant of that, with a socket adapter in place of the current output tube.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I wonder if there are any loctal rectifier/output combo tube types? There is an octal type 117L7 IIRC that is a power rectifier/output pentode. Something like that would allow a preamp without the dead giveaway of a circuit change that a modern diode would be.
I was originally thinking of the 70L7 rectifier/output tube and a medium or hi-mu triode. I referred to the 14B6, as it's a loctal based tube.
IIRC, the 70L7 requires a different output transformer, as it's a higher impedence plate load.
Audiokarma
Old 01-28-2015, 10:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I was originally thinking of the 70L7 rectifier/output tube and a medium or hi-mu triode. I referred to the 14B6, as it's a loctal based tube.
IIRC, the 70L7 requires a different output transformer, as it's a higher impedence plate load.
I was wrong about the 70L7 plate load. the tube manual shows 2K ohm.
Looks like a good tube for the purpose.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

How about a single FET preamp stage powered by the cathode bias voltage of the output tube? (FET to maintain high input impedance) if you bypass the cathode with a big enough capacitor should be able to get about 8V of pretty clean DC, which would nicely power a single transistor preamp and draw so little current it wouldn't affect the output stage.

Attached image is similar to what I have in mind, not mine, found online, etc, but should be pennies to assemble and do the job nicely without cutting up existing. Note: may want to put a bit more filtering on that power supply voltage, maybe a C-R-C filter with say 1000uF - 500 ohms - 1000uf just to keep things super quiet

Last edited by maxhifi; 01-28-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for posting that. I'd like to give it a try and see how it works.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

On many of these simple circuit players, the motor for the turntable is in series with the tube filaments, and acts as a dropping resistor so the whole filament circuit could be run from 117v.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

The majority of the single tube models of the '50's and '60's are that way. The motor is usually 90V and the tube filament is usually 25V; which, adds up to 115V. On models such as this that I've added a preamp tube to, I use a 6AV6 (it's filament has the same current rating as the 25L6 and bumps the total of the series string up to 121V). With today's higher line voltages, it will still work fine this way and even if the line voltage is a little low, it will still work; but, may take a little while longer to warm up.

When solid state models came along, there was often a secondary winding on the motor in order to provide low voltage for powering the amp.
Audiokarma