Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Gizmo Nut

I am very impressed. Once I get my Predicta restored,, I am going after a roundie... love um.
Dan
Old 10-20-2007, 12:16 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakaftr8 View Post
Did you guys replace all the caps in the sets or just the critical ones? I might need to replace the paper caps on the IF to clean up the smearing in the color on my set...
I have not yet done a full restore like this, but when I do, I will replace every non-ceramic, non-mica cap in the set (and I will check all the mica ones as well). You "may" get a set to work without doing all the replacements, but it will just be much more reliable and you will have fewer "unknowns" if you do.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

My 1963 Philco. It still has a bit of a problem with horiz linearity, the picture is a bit more squished together horizontally on the left edge of the screen, otherwise completely operational, I usually use it at least once a week. I replaced all the paper and electrolytic caps, a few weak tubes, and had to realign the chroma oscillator, I plan to look into the horiz linearity after I get a few more of my b/w sets working.

Last edited by Adam; 09-13-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:29 AM
<----Zenith C845

I've only had one roundie color TV in my life, a Sears Silvertone (RCA CTC12 clone) from about 1964. Got it in 1970 from someone on the next street up from where I used to live. I don't have it any longer, unfortunately, because the video output tube socket broke out of the video PCB with a sickening crunch some time in 1973. The set didn't have a bad picture, even on rabbit ears, but it could have been a lot better had I had a good color bar-dot generator to touch up the convergence. The set also developed a color-sync problem and hum bars in the picture near the end; the hum bars were the reason I was trying to replace the 6AW8 video-amp tube. The replacement had a bent pin (unbeknownst to me until it was too late), so when I tried to push the tube into the socket, I pressed down a tad too hard on the tube and--crunch! The socket, with a piece of the PCB, clunked to the bottom of the set immediately. I tried to repair it, to no avail, so, when I finally moved out of the house I was living in at the time, I left the set there.

I wish I would have taken a picture or two of my roundie so I could show it off. It wasn't the best looking set in the world (black metal cabinet with threaded holes in the bottom, presumably for optional consolette legs), but while it lasted it served me well, both in my hometown and where I moved in 1972. I often think of my '64 Silvertone roundie when I watch my modern (ca. 1999) 19" RCA table model, and am amazed at how far TV set design has come in the last 43 years. But the memory of that tube socket crunching through the set's video PCB will be with me the rest of my life. The TVs I had after that Silvertone were good (I had a Zenith SC300 19" portable in 1977, among others), but I kicked myself (figuratively speaking) for years after losing the Silvertone set. I mean it; I missed that TV from the second the tube socket broke out of its circuit panel (and for some time afterward), but a later find, a 16" (more or less) Silvertone table model found on a curb in my hometown in the late seventies (not to mention its successors, of which there were several--all b&w sets; no more color sets until I moved here in 1999), made up for it.

Living in a small apartment these days, I can't collect old TVs anymore, but the memories of my Silvertone/CTC12 will live on in my mind for years to come. That set would have had a great picture, as I said (at least for a while), had I had the proper equipment to reset the convergence; but it was one of those early sets with the PCBs that broke at the drop of a hat (made from phenolic, I think), so I likely would have had other failures eventually even if I could have repaired the video output socket.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma
Old 05-31-2008, 02:27 AM
AK Member

Am I okay to show a British round-tube set? We never actually had round-tube colour sets over here except for the ones which were used for experimental or training purposes - Some British-built, and some shipped over from the US. This one is a 625-line PAL set made by Bush in 1963-ish. I haven't had to do an awful lot to get it going, but I have bodged the burst-gate to get the PAL switch and subcarrier regenerator to operate correctly and that will need fixing properly sometime soon. The attached picture of the set (model CVB100) is quite small, there is a bigger picture at: http://www.oldtechnology.net/misc/CVB100.jpg

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CVB100-Small.JPG (105.2 KB, 91 views)
Old 05-31-2008, 08:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here are some screen shots of a RCA ctc 15 color set. This set was hooked up to the dtv box and the picture is really clear. I don't like the way the government went about the change over but it does work vary well.
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ctc 15-1.jpg (45.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg collection 2 078.jpg (74.0 KB, 80 views)
Old 05-31-2008, 10:36 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey405 View Post
Am I okay to show a British round-tube set? We never actually had round-tube colour sets over here except for the ones which were used for experimental or training purposes - Some British-built, and some shipped over from the US. This one is a 625-line PAL set made by Bush in 1963-ish. I haven't had to do an awful lot to get it going, but I have bodged the burst-gate to get the PAL switch and subcarrier regenerator to operate correctly and that will need fixing properly sometime soon. The attached picture of the set (model CVB100) is quite small, there is a bigger picture at: http://www.oldtechnology.net/misc/CVB100.jpg

Kind regards.

From Mike.
BEAUTIFUL SET MIKE! I love the cabinet styling and the picture is phenomenal. Great job on the restoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundscreen View Post
Here are some screen shots of a RCA ctc 15 color set. This set was hooked up to the dtv box and the picture is really clear. I don't like the way the government went about the change over but it does work vary well.
Ed
I think the DTV boxes are a great thing. They seem to have a better appearance over all because of the ability to cram more color information in the signal. Colors are brighter, clearer, better contrast and finer detail.

You might check the linearity on your 15. Looks as though the picture is squashed a bit on the bottom. Other than that the color looks great!
Old 05-31-2008, 10:43 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Am I okay to show a British round-tube set?

... I have bodged the burst-gate to get the PAL switch and subcarrier regenerator
From Mike.
OK to show? It's marvelous!

Couldn't find "bodge" in my English-to-American dictionary, but as long as it worked, I guess it's OK
Old 05-31-2008, 11:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Mike,

Your 625 line Pal roundie is fantastic. Thanks for sharing. Seems there was quite a bit of experimentation with color tv across the pond in this period.

-Steve D.
Audiokarma
Old 05-31-2008, 11:43 AM
AK Member

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old tv nut
Couldn't find "bodge" in my English-to-American dictionary, but as long as it worked, I guess it's OK
Bodge = Temporary low quality fix.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:09 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Nice set Mike...

Quote:
Bodge = Temporary low quality fix.
Ah! sort of like a soft fudge.

And roundscreen, beautiful screenshots; I get/see the same kind of improvement with the CT-100 on a box.

Pete
Old 05-31-2008, 05:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

My '65 Zenith:

These aren't new shots, I posted them on another thread some time ago. Just thought I'd link them here too, in case whomever wanted them collected here wants mine here too. These were OTA UHF with set-top reflector antenna from about 15 miles from the transmitters. CBS and PBS (15 and 39).

I would like to try a DTV box on this set sometime, but since these photos were taken it's developed hum bars in the picture, a sure sign of a failing PS filter cap. The set is unrestored, lucky to still be working at all -- just not smart to turn it on anymore until repairs are made. Will need to address that issue first, then I'll DTV-box it and evaluate.

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Reminds me of a statement by someone in the book "The Making of Star trek" that came out around 1968 or so. One of the people involved in the making of this show said that it was going to cost him $400, as he was just gonna have to buy a color TV to watch Star Trek on.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Duplicate post. Ignore.

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
Audiokarma