Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:50 PM
Resident Lunatic

Philco 48-482 question

I was given a Philco 48-482 table radio recently. I typically don't restore tube radios, but given that this set has 3 IF stages for both AM and FM and a 7F8 dual-triode oscillator/mixer, it should be an extremely hot performer on the AM band. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, is the FM-1000 demod circuit a pain in the ass to align? When fully aligned, is the Philco a hot FM performer?

I ask because when I'm in the states, I'm in a pretty difficult location for adequate reception of the FM stations I'm interested in. No sense in restoring yet another tube radio/tuner that doesn't pull anything in that I care about...
Old 07-26-2017, 08:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ben,

I had a 48-482 that I restored and used on my desk at work where reception is poor (especially AM). I had no problems pulling in FM stations and could pull in a lot of AM stations as well. The audio quality of FM isn't as good as some later FM sets (I used to have a Grundig on my desk that had great audio) but it's OK.

The FM-1000 detector can be a little finicky. Follow the alignment instructions carefully and you will be fine. I do remember after using the set for quite a while the FM quit. It turned out 47k resistor in the plate supply for the FM-1000 failed. I think this was a 1/2 watt unit originally and is dissipating at least that much. I replaced it with a 1 watt unit and didn't have a problem afterward.

There are about 30 paper and electrolytic capacitors in that radio so there will be a bit of work to get them all replaced. Some are also a bit difficult to get at. I eventually took mine off of my desk just to get a little more room. It is a big set.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:45 AM
M is for Memory

I've got one. I need to recap it eventually. It still works decently on original caps (I've only given it a few minutes of run time to test it though), performance seemed good for a early post war set (most post war FM sets seem to have weak FM)...It was getting comparable reception to a modern set.

I almost recapped mine, but it's a bit tight under chassis, one of the paper caps serves as a coil form (which would have made me re-stuff that then all the other caps to be consistent), and it works which makes it's recap priority lower than other projects that don't work.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-26-2017, 10:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I've got one. I need to recap it eventually. It still works decently on original caps (I've only given it a few minutes of run time to test it though), performance seemed good for a early post war set (most post war FM sets seem to have weak FM)...It was getting comparable reception to a modern set.

I almost recapped mine, but it's a bit tight under chassis, one of the paper caps serves as a coil form (which would have made me re-stuff that then all the other caps to be consistent), and it works which makes it's recap priority lower than other projects that don't work.
I have one, as well! Mine needs a re-cap, FM is non-existant. FM1000 checks good. Philco referred to that circuit as a locked oscillator FM detector. It couldn't have been that good, they only used it for a year or two.
That thing was $150 in 1948! They seemed to sell a lot of them.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I have one, as well! Mine needs a re-cap, FM is non-existant. FM1000 checks good. Philco referred to that circuit as a locked oscillator FM detector. It couldn't have been that good, they only used it for a year or two.
That thing was $150 in 1948! They seemed to sell a lot of them.
It's possible that the circuit was a poor performer, but a paper from the BBC showes it had average performance in some regards, but unparalleled AM rejection. Perhaps the FM-1000 tube was too expensive to manufacture? Or too difficult to get adequate alignment on an assembly line? Makes ya wonder in any case... the Philco 48-482 was a major seller.
Audiokarma
Old 07-26-2017, 11:36 AM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post

I've found most early postwar FM tuners to be piss poor performers. A bulk use the Hazeltine fremodyne which has the sensitivity of a potato...

Exceptions to the rule of terrible post-war FM performance are the GE XFM-1 (mediocre), the Edwards Fidelotuner (mediocre), and the Meissner 8C (phenomenal).

I'll move my Philco up the restoration queue.