Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUdubon5425 View Post
Personally, I think a CRT produces a clearer picture than an LCD or plasma screen.
As for the LCD vs CRT, a major part of the equation is the light quality of the LCD backlight. Though it looks to be white, it's often just blue and yellow light mixed together. The LCD panel has red, green and blue filters painted on its pixels. Blue comes out fine, but you can't really get decent pure enough green and red light from the yellow of the backlight. This limits how well the display can reproduce color, in the industry it's called gamut. One a computer screen, it doesn't much matter if the red in an excel spreadsheet isn't as red as it should have been, but with video or pictures it does make a difference.

I use a bigger VGA CRT monitor (17 inch IIRC) for over the air HDTV driven by a DirecTV box someone gave me. I don't watch enough TV really to justify to myself to get a flat panel.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post

Although not recognized at the time, it is the Americanness of the old sets that is their most precious asset.
Bill(oc)
EXACTLY!!

Well said OC...

Just wondering, I recent had my 1st "tech induced error" when I must have moved a part under the chassis, creating color hum bars on a zenith.

Since you worked on them for a living I was just wondering if this was a typical rookie error, esp when a chassis was pulled from a console to be worked on back at the shop (so it had to be handled, and moved a lot).

The zenith seems more prone to this with its mass of point to point wiring, vs PCBs anyway.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by compucat View Post
Even in the Seventies getting a color TV was a big deal. Televisions then were not treated like appliances as they are today. It was a prized household possession that was generally treated with care if you did not want someone to get mad at you. An expensive 25" console color TV in a nice wood cabinet was a piece of furniture and you didn't dare set a drink on top of it. I think the trend toward black plastic cabinets even in large sets has caused most people to forget how much we used to value television sets.
I think Mom and myself still see it that way, we love our 1982 Zenith a lot. I know I get joked around and people say, just buy a new TV. I'm of limited means plus why give up a working TV? I can be entertained by a story or movie, I don't care if it is in hi-def, standard def or British 405 line standard, if the story is good, that's all that matters.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:46 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by compucat View Post
Televisions then were not treated like appliances as they are today. It was a prized household possession that was generally treated with care if you did not want someone to get mad at you. I think the trend toward black plastic cabinets even in large sets has caused most people to forget how much we used to value television sets.

Trust me, I value every inch of my Mitsu 65" DLP set just as much as the 255 sq inches of picture I get from my RCA sets.

But, there's a certain satisfaction to be had by bringing these old sets back to life. Especially if it's one you get for a song, like my CTC-9. It cost next to nothing, and after minimal investment (just power supply caps), it makes a surprisingly good picture. My only gripe is that it could be brighter, but I'm still looking for a 21FJP22 to put in it. To me it's just like restoring an old car (which I also do)- they were just plain built better in those days, and it's comforting knowing some child in Indonesia didn't put it together.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wink Life's Good = Lucky GoldStar

My favorite watcher is a Zenith 25NC38. It was pitiful when I "adopted" it for 10 dollars. On top of it is a Motorola VT-71. In the spare bedroom is a 42 in LG plasma. My other half and I put it there after I repaired it (it is adopted too). She hated the heat and the picture unless it was running HD. I hated the fact it consumes around 700 watts. The 25 inch Zenith uses around 350 watts!
Maybe I can get the Zenith an "Energy Star" symbol!
Audiokarma
Old 09-14-2010, 04:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wow im amazed how big this thread got so quickly, and i am even more impressed at how kind and understanding you all are..

thanks to all of you i have more appreciation for the classic televisions. i do remember watching the screen shrink to a small white dot, and i do remember the screen slowly getting brighter as it warmed up when first turned on..
i do recall watching some movies that were black and white (the three stooges, i love lucy, giligans island) and didnt mind at all, actually after i watched the movie (the three stooges) for several minutes i forgot it wasnt in color untill it was over and i saw a commercial again.
although i have never really liked small tv's,, anything smaller than a 17" i find it hard to watch unless i am close to it. i cant stand watching movies on my ipod either. but i think thats due to having to hold it or watch it in a awkward position..

i dont think i could use a classic black and white television for anything other than classic moves, or stand up comedy maybe cartoons.
i cant imagine watching the dark knight or any new movies on one..

although i would love to repair them. maybe if i knew how, and had done so. i would then have the motivation and interest to sit and watch tv on one, and be proud of my labor.
we have this old black and white television out in the garage, and i just dont know what to do with it.. its still working
its tiny, i know its smaller than 17" but i still lack the motivation to do anything with it.. i also have portable, tv/flashlight/radio that is portable and it is black and white too,, although i think thats junk because i cant use a digital converter box with it..

i dont know if i should junk these or not now..
Old 09-14-2010, 04:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
My favorite watcher is a Zenith 25NC38. It was pitiful when I "adopted" it for 10 dollars. On top of it is a Motorola VT-71. In the spare bedroom is a 42 in LG plasma. My other half and I put it there after I repaired it (it is adopted too). She hated the heat and the picture unless it was running HD. I hated the fact it consumes around 700 watts. The 25 inch Zenith uses around 350 watts!
Maybe I can get the Zenith an "Energy Star" symbol!
is that another gimmic to make people move to HD??
i mean why should a HD television look funny when displaying the regular rez tv..
i know when i hooked up a television through s-video to my computer to use as a monitor everything was fuzzy, but it looked the same on resoutions between 640-480 up to 1024-768
it actually made badly converted computer movies look better on the television set.

and also HD is just a tv thats like a monitor right? 1280x720 pixels and anything higher is HD..
yet a little 17" computer monitor does 1024x768 which is close to the same, and yet it can still look just fine displaying anything smaller.
same goes for 19 and 21" monitors displaying 1600x1200 and bigger..
what gives?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another factor that I have observed is that many people tend to set up the display options to fill the 16:9 display area, resulting in a "stretched" picture when viewing a 4:3 source. Lots of short, wide people on TV
This may be done in fear of aging an un-even pattern into the display screen, which can be a problem with plasma displays, but I have seen many LC sets adjusted this way as well.
jr
Old 09-14-2010, 01:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 09-16-2010, 11:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

People sometimes think that I'm crazy I think because I have always said that I don't see the big deal with color television or big screen sets. I tell them that as long as I can see a clear image, then I am satisfied. I admit that I probably wouldn't choose to use a 10" black and white as my livingroom set, but a 19" would do, and a 21" is plenty big I think. Some people seem so utterly attracted to having the latest and greatest group of bells and whistles that marketers can come up with. I just don't understand this mindset. No wonder the country is in trouble! Some people would see me, or things about me, and call me poor, but to me I am just fine, not rich (except in God's blessings) though. I just prefer using old things and laughing as people go further in debt so they can look good and looking good IS feeling good in America. LOL! Beyond that, I have long had a strange attraction to tube audio and video equipment. I couldn't explain it to myself! Sometimes I turn on an old radio or TV and have the back cover off to watch the tubes glow and smell a certain smell. Wow! Maybe TV people are nuts!!! LOL!

I am also a musician and an "audiophile," but I can enjoy listening to a 78rpm single on a Victrola as much as a Pink Floyd album through a Marantz amplifier and vintage Sansui speakers, or MP3s on a PC system. Then there is automotive entertainment, and NO that doesn't mean talking on a cell phone or texting, the latter being for IDIOTS only. Anyway, as long as I can hear FM radio clearly I am happy. I don't even want to worry with carrying around tapes or cds in a car anymore. When I was a little younger I did have to carry around "my" music and thought that listening to the radio was just another form of being controlled. LOL! Hindsight?!?!? So, I don't know if I am purely eccentric, overly practical, or just plain boring. Either way, they can keep their flat, big, HD, plastic picture frames, at least until the prices come down after the rich folks market has been saturated. Actually, we are almost there! Mark my words! It doesn't seem like that long ago that mostly the elite had a VCR because they cost several hundred dollars. After several years of tapping the big money, the companies came down to working class price and suddenly everyone had to own one! Just like DVDs and flat screens today, even those on welfare have the latest attraction. Marketing to kids is the ticket these days because they will practically force their softy parents to buy every gadget that Wal-mart can hold....

Last edited by Tubejunke; 09-16-2010 at 11:50 PM.