Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

it's still the early 70s in that room...
Old 09-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
I see its "one-button color" feature is called "Insta-matic". It is a good thing that Kodak did not make TV sets; Motorola would have got in big trouble.
Actually, there was a lawsuit, and Motorola settled by adding the hyphen and agreeing to not register it as a trademark.

"Instamatic" at that time was used by about 8 companies, and Kodak was cubbyholed in the photographic realm.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 09-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Doug,

I just noticed the set still has it's dittle stick attached to the convergence panel, and the "flat 8" is still across the IF panel! That set never saw the service shop. Like the GE mini-manuals, some shops regularly kept the dittle stick and the flat 8 - we saw lots of them with one or both missing. Rare to see a Quasar II, much less with accessories.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:20 PM
sampson159

my dad was a maintenance supervisor in a munitions plant back in the 60s.when he saw the first quasar sets he marvelled at the way they were built.couldnt praise them enough.didnt care for the picture but the electronics!this is a beauty.same fine electronics and by the time this was built,the crts were excellent
Old 09-18-2014, 06:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

When I was a kid, my uncle had a Quasar II TV that with a large cabinet was very similar to that one. After he got a new Zenith TV with the Space Phone (that I got from him later) in 1984, he moved the Quazar downstairs and we used to play video games on it with my cousin's Magnavox Odissey!
The Quazar was probably a bit older, if I remember well, there were horizontal slider picture adjustments below the tuner knobs and the control panel brass-colored rather than woodgrain.
Audiokarma
Old 09-19-2014, 01:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quasar II

What are the ABCD brown buttons for on the front panel ?

Great set!

This set reminds me that as a senior in high school I was invited to participate in an educational program the Motorola was trying to start up. They used the Quasar solid-state chassis as a trainer and had a Heathkit like manual instructing the student on how to assemble it. My lab partner and I were unable to get past the hand wire chassis portion of the assembly process during the two days we had to complete it .

The set had the ability to artificially introduce troubles via switches and defective components.

This was part of a two-day educational conference in Seattle in 1977. It was a great experience and I still have the hand tools that were given to me as payment for my participation.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkand View Post
I think that's the UHF tuner. Motorola made car radios and it may work similar to that, to tune in your favorite UHF stations. Maybe someone will chime in on exactly how they worked, and how they were set. I don't see a manual UHF tuning knob.

Last edited by jsowers; 09-19-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I love these sets .Those Motorola Quasar sets always had a beautiful crisp picture and color on them.TO me atlease.

My parents had a 19 inch version from that same era which had superb color on it.I have that set here and I like to fix it up.

The only problem on these sets I had are the plug in boards which get intermittent connections. Before I was into repairing TV's My parent had the set in the shop for the loose boards and the other time for a bad sound chip on the signal IF board.The pix tube looked great when they retired it in the early 1990's and replaced it with a 27 inch Sony.

Last edited by centralradio; 09-19-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:36 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowers View Post
I think that's the UHF tuner. Motorola made car radios and it may work similar to that, to tune in your favorite UHF stations. Maybe someone will chime in on exactly how they worked, and how they were set. I don't see a manual UHF tuning knob.
Precisely. The one UHF tune knob (UHF Fine Tune) is in the trap door at the top. Tune in a UHF station, pull out one of the UHF presets, and push back in, just like a car radio of the era.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkand View Post

Great set!

This set reminds me that as a senior in high school I was invited to participate in an educational program the Motorola was trying to start up. They used the Quasar solid-state chassis as a trainer and had a Heathkit like manual instructing the student on how to assemble it. My lab partner and I were unable to get past the hand wire chassis portion of the assembly process during the two days we had to complete it .

The set had the ability to artificially introduce troubles via switches and defective components.

This was part of a two-day educational conference in Seattle in 1977. It was a great experience and I still have the hand tools that were given to me as payment for my participation.
Motorola was always looking for new talent for their engineering department. Their recruiters were always at MSOE and Marquette school of engineering on graduation day.
They offered tours of the Franklin Park plant and to discuss job openings.
Audiokarma