Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Any truth to this Predicta legend?

"Initially introduced in 1958 for the Holiday Inn hotel chain and rolled out for general consumers shortly thereafter"

I've seen several references to this on the internet, and to me it make no sense. I know Philco sold many Predicta TVs for hotel/motel use, but the claim that they were first introduced to Holiday Inn and then made available to consumers just doesn't seem right. The claim was made again online in this article dated 1-24-2019: https://www.vintag.es/2019/01/predic...p5-Qi5Duzria5w

Does anyone have any information to prove/disprove the Holiday Inn legend? Did they in fact have these TVs before showrooms were selling them to the public?

Old 01-25-2019, 12:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've been into vintage TV's for decades and will say that's false. Philco seemed to be very proud of the Predicta right from the start in it's advertising to the public. The short necked 21" CRT proved not to be reliable and, unfortunately, the set got a bad reputation. In '59 they tried to recover with a better 17" CRT, but the damage was done even though it was quite a good set. That's when they sold large numbers of these to hotel chains, possibly Holiday Inn. The 17" sets, not the 21's. They usually where cream colored with antenna delete and an instruction panel sticker on the top right of the cabinet.

Last edited by decojoe67; 01-25-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Considering that half the photos in that "Gallery of Predicta photos" are not, in fact, Predictas, I'd say the article is not a reliable source of info.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Trying to trace back the start of the legend, I found the text referencing the Holiday Inn is also in Wikipedia, which is often unreliable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predicta

The notes there suggest they sourced that information from Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum. That traces it back to at least October 22, 2017.

https://collection.cooperhewitt.org/objects/18715437/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sourced.jpg (123.5 KB, 219 views)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanInSitges View Post
Considering that half the photos in that "Gallery of Predicta photos" are not, in fact, Predictas, I'd say the article is not a reliable source of info.

An open question to the group here , did Philco use the Predicta name on TVs other than the ones with the picture tube in it's separate enclosure (either mounted to the base containing the electronics or the "Tandem" with it's 20 foot cord separating the two) ?

I ask because I have a (possibly mistaken) memory of a regular "wooden box" TV , with the picture tube and the electronics all in the same enclosure , named Predicta . It's very possible I'm mixing up the Predicta and Miss America models ...
Audiokarma
Old 01-26-2019, 12:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Apparently, see this thread:

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=255495

jr
Old 01-26-2019, 02:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Trying to trace back the start of the legend, I found the text referencing the Holiday Inn is also in Wikipedia, which is often unreliable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predicta

The notes there suggest they sourced that information from Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum. That traces it back to at least October 22, 2017.

https://collection.cooperhewitt.org/objects/18715437/

I don't buy any of that and I've read long articles on the Predicta's. I've heard for years that Predicta's were sold up into '61, but there's not a shred of evidence that they were sold past '59. The 21" set were produced in '58 and the 17" in '59 and that was it. I dare anyone to find an ad for the Predicta past '59.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
An open question to the group here , did Philco use the Predicta name on TVs other than the ones with the picture tube in it's separate enclosure (either mounted to the base containing the electronics or the "Tandem" with it's 20 foot cord separating the two) ?

I ask because I have a (possibly mistaken) memory of a regular "wooden box" TV , with the picture tube and the electronics all in the same enclosure , named Predicta . It's very possible I'm mixing up the Predicta and Miss America models ...
Philco Full Dress TV.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pfd-4.jpg (56.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg pfd-4h.jpg (58.0 KB, 231 views)
Old 01-26-2019, 02:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thank You Jim and jr_tech for the answers , I really appreciate them . It was many years ago that the TV I was thinking about was owned by a family member and the predicta name stuck with my memory of that TV .

As to whether predictas were sold up till 1961 , could it be that Philco stopped producing them by 1958 but the dealers were still selling sets already in stock , possibly as late as 1961 ?
Old 01-26-2019, 03:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, even though I've been researching vintage TV's for about 35 years, I guess I should just stay out of these discussions and leave it to the experts. Sorry if I interrupted.

Last edited by decojoe67; 01-26-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-26-2019, 03:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Well, even though I've been researching vintage TV's for about 35 years, I guess I should just stay out of these discussions and leave it to the experts. Easier for me.

I do not understand this response , I have not disallowed your input here , I simply asked if sets were sold past 1958 , could they have been leftover stock ? I see no reason why my question would be the source of your obviously hurt feelings ....
Old 01-26-2019, 03:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
I do not understand this response , I have not disallowed your input here , I simply asked if sets were sold past 1958 , could they have been leftover stock ? I see no reason why my question would be the source of your obviously hurt feelings ....
I don't see anything here either to deserve such a response.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

There were a number of Predicta sets, including the Predicta Townhouse console (no, not that one, the other one...they were big fans of that Townhouse branding) as well as a couple of others.

Here is an old thread with some good info, and here is a picture of the ad in question showing the different models. The Predicta branding is a little ambiguous, which is surprising considering Philco were much better at branding than building TVs.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Philco Full Dress TV.

HEY IS THAT YOUR BEAUTIFUL BLONDE FULL DRESS?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2019, 08:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcobah View Post
HEY IS THAT YOUR BEAUTIFUL BLONDE FULL DRESS?!?
Nope, just a picture I found on the internet.

Audiokarma