Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Magnavox Console from 1962... Info Needed

Please forgive me if this is not the right forum for this post.

Last week, I got a mint condition Magnavox model 1ST638 solid state Astro-Sonic radio-stereo console from the original owner. This unit has not ever been moved away from the wall since it was installed by the dealer. It came with the bill of sale, and the original warranty cards, and manual!

I believe that the stylus is original, and has played maybe 4-5 records, judging by the 5 mint condition albums that I found in the storage compartment.

I replaced all of the pilot lights, (GE 47's) and cleaned the controls and source selector switch. The original owner told me that the turntable, a Micromatic, died about 30 years ago, and they just played the radio until a channel went out a few years ago. After the switch cleaning, both channels are running great again.

As for the turntable, I cleaned the idlers, and lubed everything I could see that had been greased 40+ years ago. The motor had seized, but a drop of turbine oil on the motor shaft got it going again. The speed selector was frozen on the 45 rpm selection, and took some time to break free. Glad to report that it is now running at all speeds, and plays all sizes of records with almost no problems.

Here's the problem: About once in 5 tries, the turntable will not reject at the end of the record, and will just sit there running in the out-groove. I suspected the records, but it has happened on several different discs. I have a bunch of older albums that have been run on changers, so there is no problem stacking them to play. I can manually reject the disc, or pick up the arm, move it back a couple of inches toward the beginning of the disc, and move it back to the out groove, and it will reject. When I had the turntable off, I noticed that if I moved the arm very slowly toward the end of the record, sometimes the little pawl that initiates the reject on the turntable shaft itself does not move out. It is not binding as I can tell.

Stupid me didnt get the model # off the Micromatic when I had it apart. It is installed in my living room and will be a pain to pull away from the wall so I can get the model off the changer. Thats why I mention the stereo model.

Has anybody here got a SAMS for this unit? OR, can anybody supply the Photofact number? Electrically, it sounds and runs fine. None of the electrolytics are out of range, and it runs quietly.

I'm glad that I asked the original owner if they ever used the stereo anymore while I was there working on their console TV, a 1980's Maggie that has a stunning picture. Had one bad solder connection at the flyback.

Thanks in advance.]

Bruce
Asheville, NC
Old 06-07-2006, 06:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

We work on many of these at our shop...all of the parts responsible for initiating the reject cycle should be cleaned with a solvent such as isopropyl alcohol, all old grease and oil removed, and parts relubricated. The turbine oil you used should work fine to relubricate...it's often not enough just to add new oil, as the old grease can still leave a gummy residue.
There is not much torque available from the tonearm to trigger the reject cycle so any excess friction can cause a problem.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

I did clean all the old grease off the lube points, and used Phonolube sparingly. The tone-arm rides the outgroove all the way to the inner groove at the label. I guess I get to pull the turntable again.

Last edited by holmesuser01; 06-08-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:20 PM
AK Member

Hi Holmesuser01, I'm on my way home from vacation and plan to be back this weekend, I'll copy the original Magnavox manual and get it out to you next week if you'll send me a PM with your address.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Randy, you have a PM!!!

Thanks ever so much.

Bruce
Audiokarma