Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2017, 03:35 AM
Administrator

Starting work on a GE 800 Locomotive.

I wanted a project that didn't need a massive amount of cabinet work for a change so I dug out this Locomotive that I've had for quite a while.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the 800 and the 805, Brass vs Aluminum grille perhaps?
Mine is Aluminum but there are no tags on this set to identify it for sure.

It has a 10BP4 that test's like new, probably a replacement because I believe these came with a 10FP4 as original equipment.

Anyhow, I brought it up semi slowly on the Variac while watching the current draw, at about 75 volts I heard the Oscillator kick in, at 90 I could draw an arc from the cap of the 1B3 but no light on the screen, at 100v I could see a faint line on the screen and tweaking the Ion Trap brought it up to a short, bright raster.

It's always a good sign when a set shows this much life right out of the gate, bumping the line voltage to 110 fills out the width completely, a recap ought to bring it back to full life.
Many of these sets are missing the top to the high voltage cage, this one is missing the side, luckily i have a spare chassis with that part on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEloco-1.jpg (27.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg geloco-2.jpg (29.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg geloco-3.jpg (34.5 KB, 62 views)