Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Olympic model 950 tube issues

I'm done for now with the porthole and moved on to an Olympic model 650 set , well theres a couple tube issues i thought maybe someone would have some opinions , first is the audio output is supposed to be 6K6 according to the tube chart and sams , whats in there is a 6V6 , now was this someone trying to improve the audio quality or will a 6V6 not work in place of a 6K6 ?
the second s again according to the tube chart and sams the 2nd sound IF is supposed to be a 6BA6 but in the set is a 6AU6 , again will that work or should i put a 6BA6 there ?
one side note is sams says its supposed to have a 16AP4 but the tube chart and the crt in the set is a 16DP4 , perhaps this was just not mentioned in the sams or its a later production with that crt added because the model number instead of being 950 it is 950G , nothing important but was interesting.

mike
Old 08-05-2013, 01:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramden66 View Post
I'm done for now with the porthole and moved on to an Olympic model 650 set , well theres a couple tube issues i thought maybe someone would have some opinions , first is the audio output is supposed to be 6K6 according to the tube chart and sams , whats in there is a 6V6 , now was this someone trying to improve the audio quality or will a 6V6 not work in place of a 6K6 ?
the second s again according to the tube chart and sams the 2nd sound IF is supposed to be a 6BA6 but in the set is a 6AU6 , again will that work or should i put a 6BA6 there ?
one side note is sams says its supposed to have a 16AP4 but the tube chart and the crt in the set is a 16DP4 , perhaps this was just not mentioned in the sams or its a later production with that crt added because the model number instead of being 950 it is 950G , nothing important but was interesting.

mike
You never knew with an Olympic product. They were a bottom-feeder concern and basically, just an assembler. They were midway between Muntz and Admiral, as far as quality.
Sams just bought one representative model and used it to produce their Photofact folder.
I wouldn't worry about either sub.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

It does look like a gutless wonder under the chassis , i can put up a picture.

well another note the 1B3 is pretty dead , this would be the second set in a row with a pretty dead 1B3 , the other was the porthole , kind of gives you an idea of what failed and why it was put aside and given up on.

mike
Old 08-05-2013, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramden66 View Post

mike
A 6V6 works fine in place of a 6K6.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

6BA6 is a sub for a 6AU6, and vice versa. There is a Website that gives substitutions out there and it is great to use and can save you a lot of money. I don't happen to have the url in mind, but I am certain that you could just do an electron tube substitution and/or specs search and come up with it.

In the days before the Internet, it was almost imperative to have a substitution guide (book) on hand for this reason. Makes me sound as old as some of my TVs, but actually all but one are a fair bit older than me. I think it's sort of neat having equipment that was around well before I was that seems to be heading toward being around well after I am gone. LOL
Old 08-17-2013, 10:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

there was a great site that you just put the number in and you get the matching or possible matches , it doesn't work anymore but thanks i keep forgetting to use my sunstitution book.

mike
Old 08-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Collector of heavy things

There's always the Tube Data Sheet Locator, at the DuncanAmps site:

http://tdsl.duncanamps.com

Not the most complete listing out there as far as pinouts go (especially for non-audio tubes), but fairly comprehensive when it comes to subs.
-Adam

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors
Old 08-17-2013, 12:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Nostalgia Air tube reference lists substitutions:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Tubes/

When I want more details about a tube, I go to Frank's Tube Data, which has full data sheets:

http://tubedata.milbert.com/index.html

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 08-17-2013, 09:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here is a site that simply gives the possible crosses for a given tube: http://www.worldtubecompany.com/mm5/...c?Screen=TSL-5