Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Question Marconi Mk8 Count

Has Anybody Done a Camera Chain Count on this Great Camera please ?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have 3 heads here, but only two lenses and CCU's, and 3 PSU's
they came from HSV7's OB van.

One exists at powerhouse museum in storage, someone else near melbourne claimed to have a working chain or two but wanted over $10,000 or something a piece, but never saw any proof, so possibly not true.

Cant think of any others off hand i know of still around, there were once many of them in use across many networks.

I'm still getting mine working, the main issue is with the slot in camera power module, I am not that knowledable with electronic repair and have had a friend fixing it, had a few other people interested in helping but no reply from them.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the info This starts the Camera Count (Complete Camera Chains)
(Number Made ?)

Austraila = 2B,s Chains + 1A Head (two lenses and CCU's, and 3 PSU's)1 Chain Powerhouse Museum (Models ?)

New Zealand = 2 Chains Model A/B 3 Heads (Models ?)
All Chains with Marconi Shot boxes & Angl Lens

England = 4 (golden-agetv.co.uk) Full Chains ? . tvcameramuseum has 1 Chain ?

CZ = 2 Chains (http://historicka.ic.cz/Kamery/mark8/) (Models A)

Last edited by XDCAM; 03-07-2013 at 02:42 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

1 of my cameras must be an older model, it just says "marconi" on the badge, and has a grey stripe around the top flip up section.

the other two are the "B" models, which have a much larger marconi badge but also say the model name. They have a blue strip around the bottom of the flip up top part.

The tally lamp dome thingys are different between the models also - of course the plastic is breaking from age - i am looking at if there is a method of cloning some brand new ones.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:55 PM
TV Camera Museum Curator

The Marconi MkVIII B model came in about serial number 400, i would be interested to know what serial numbers yours are? There were various improvements to the B like the additional scan correction board and the option for HOP tubes. all introduced in a piecemeal fashion.

About the cue domes. A lot of collectors are missing them and if you do discover a way of replicating them there is sure to be some interest!

Brian

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV camera Museum
Audiokarma
Old 03-05-2013, 06:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

re The tally lamp dome if we are talking about the red triaguler Queue lamp and if the same item fits mk111 to mk V 111 then I agree with Brian and please put me down as interested

I suspect that there are over 85 Marconi cameras still in existence

re the camera chain count please note I am new to this group but my count is

MK V11 = 14 heads + 16 Channels
Incidentally the statement Looking like their Less than Mk 1Vs
MK 1V = 12 heads + 11 Channels

Regards Paul B south Coast UK
Old 03-05-2013, 06:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

MK V11 = 14 heads + 16 Channels
should be MK V111 = 4 heads + 16 Channels

Last edited by Paul B; 03-19-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Exclamation 85 Marconi cameras still in existence

Where are the other 85 Marconi cameras still in existence please ? How many do you have for the list please ?

What Company made the cue domes (Used on most English Cameras) their might be molds in the back room .

Last edited by XDCAM; 03-07-2013 at 02:45 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm currently looking into how to make "new" cue domes. My TK60 cameras are also missing theirs. It can be done but it looks like the materials are expensive.

There are two types of cue domes on mine, one is a a triangular with sharp edges, the other is slightly different, the sharp edges version also looks to be older and fit the orthicon cameras.

also see the photos of the badges difference.

I must check what the serials are on mine, the look to have been heavily modded over the years as new developments came out

Old 03-08-2013, 03:19 PM
TV Camera Museum Curator

The upper cue dome is a pattern I have not seen before, it is simpler and could be of local manufacture.

The lower one is what I would call a standard one, at least as standard as these things are. Picture of one of mine showing the, "easy to snap off legs"! Yours lower one has engraved numbers mine have plastic stick on numbers.

Also attached is a picture of a Pye Mk7 camera with a very similar cue dome, this one has a metal skirt that attaches with a push & twist movement. There were endless variants. Some cameras used a car rear light glass as the official cue dome.

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1716.jpg (50.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg mk7pye135deg1576.jpg (46.5 KB, 11 views)

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV camera Museum
Audiokarma
Old 03-08-2013, 04:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

very interesting! - my "standard" one is firmly attached and i wont attempt to remove it, the other two are always falling off! but i think they would be easier to replicate, the "standard" design one looks like a nightmare to do!

Perhaps we should all look around where we live if there is a company or supplys store who could replicate these to spec, if we all chipped in somehow it could work out affordable. The problem is not so much it cant be done but rather finding some place who can be bothered, most places i contacted simply cant be, so rather than being honest and saying so, just quote costs of between $1,500 to $2,000 a piece. But i see car restorers for example, seemingly being able to get much more intricate car tail lamps and alike done affordably...
Old 03-09-2013, 04:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All
sorry XDCAM my Marconi count (mk2 to mk8 )has just gon up to 87 with 22 being MK8 . Is there an area in this forum that files can be stored for all to view as we cannot do attachments or is their a separate site for such information Paul B
ps stil looking for MK4

Last edited by Paul B; 03-21-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

the "eyesofageneration" website has a camera count, but the counts for my equipment are incorrect, I have explained numerous times with correct info and claims it will be updated but it has not...nothing worse than having incorrect info up there, I'd rather have no info than wrong info!

Troy did a rundown somewhere of the camera count of "what was used where" in australia which i helped him with a lot of the info also.

Then there is probably a call for another list "equipment we know was trashed" - so those can be struck off the list of potential ones to find or turn up later
Old 03-12-2013, 04:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

marconi camera count

hi the atachment is from my marconi xl spred sheet aparantly we can not post XL spred sheets Paul B
Attached Files
File Type: doc Channel includes Head.doc (104.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Paul B; 03-19-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Spread sheet

Great work Paul .Thanks for making my Research into a Spread sheet .I can add a Mrk 111 Head in NZ (No Lens or Focus /Changer handels). Chuck Pharis has just Recieved Two Mrk 111 & Two Mrk 2 I understand .

Last edited by XDCAM; 03-13-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Audiokarma