Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-24-2002, 08:03 PM
wvsaz

1955 CBS Rectangular Color CRT on ebay

This is the likely prototype for the 22EP22, used in the 1957 Westinghouse rectangular color set.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=727427675

Last edited by wvsaz; 10-29-2002 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:15 AM
Banned

WOW!
Old 10-26-2002, 07:36 PM
wvsaz

A friend of mine contacted the seller and was told that this tube came from the CBS labs on Long Island and was part of an engineer's estate sale there. The CRT resembles the 19 and 21 inch round CRT's of the period in all ways except the screen dimensions. There's been a lot of interest in it.
Old 10-26-2002, 09:50 PM
Banned

As a collectible this single gun color tube is going to go nuts at the close. Big bucks is my prediction. It makes the hard to find 15GP22 look as rare as Kraft Dinner. Shame there isn't a surviving Westinghouse TV to go with it.

Rob

Late Correction. I just looked again after cleaning my glasses and there are indeed 3 guns in this tube.

Last edited by Rob; 10-26-2002 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2002, 10:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Rob:

I believe that this tube is actually a three gun tube. At least the 22EP22 that Westinghouse used had three guns. There were a few single gun tubes at the time, one being the "Apple" tube by Philco and another being the Lawrence tube.

Steve K
Audiokarma
Old 10-26-2002, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve K
Rob:

I believe that this tube is actually a three gun tube. At least the 22EP22 that Westinghouse used had three guns. There were a few single gun tubes at the time, one being the "Apple" tube by Philco and another being the Lawrence tube.

Steve K
Steve K,

I agree about the "Apple" and the Lawrence.

I thought I was seeing just a single gun on the auction photos but just had a closer look. 3 guns. You are correct sir!

Rob

Last edited by Rob; 10-26-2002 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-26-2002, 10:45 PM
wvsaz

Yes, this is a three gun tube. The rights to the Lawrence tube were obtained by DuMont, who was developing it for market with the name "Chromatron" when Paramount forced them to sell it to Sony. When Sony completed the development, they renamed it "Trinitron".

Imagine how different things would have been if DuMont had been allowed to complete the development and introduce the tube in DuMont color sets! David Sarnoff (RCA) must have had nightmares about the public watching Paramount color movies over the DuMont network on DuMont color sets.
Old 10-27-2002, 02:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wonder if David Sarnoff's nightmares were in living color

Last edited by Steve D.; 10-27-2002 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here's an interesting thought ... If Dumont had actually been allowed to finish developing the tube instead of selling it to Sony, we might all be working as engineers for CBS, Dumont, or RCA. American television manufacturers might still exist if we had kept control of our technology here where it belongs. I don't have any problem with Japanese companies, but I do believe that "Globalism" ends up screwing America more often than it helps us. Enough said.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Is that a flange anode connection like the 15G/15H tubes had? Interesting! It's obviously an all-glass tube and the gun structure and base do look a lot like those of the familiar 21" tubes. My guess would be that it probably used the same sulfide phosphors as the 21AXP22 and 21CYP22. The rare earth phosphors, as I remember from my research, were first used in the 21FBP22 and other early-60's tubes. I wonder if one of those developmental sets might still be hiding in some retired engineer's basement. If not, does anyone else think that a set could be built to bring that tube to life? Maybe someone with the right skills could build a suitable cabinet and mask, and a few of our technical-minded members could develop a chassis based on the technology of the era. Perhaps the set could be a group project and be displayed at a museum as modern-day collectors' interpretation of what might have been. Perhaps we could even make a special crate for transporting it safely, allowing it to be displayed at more than one museum at different times. A properly-designed chassis would operate the tube at the low end of its design's expected range of beam current, conserving its emission. Perhaps the set could be operated only on certain days for scheduled displays ... weekly shows from 4-6pm perhaps. Just tossing thoughts around.
Audiokarma
Old 10-29-2002, 10:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

That tube is electrically identical to the 19VP22, so it should work in the 1954-55 Motorola 19 inch sets. I would guess that it could easily be made to work in early 21 inch sets too.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

22" color tubes

John,
I was also thinking that if the Hytron 22" rectangular tube is electronicly similar to the CBS 19" color tube or even the 21AXp22, why not try and connect it up to a CTC-4 or CTC-5 or CBS or Motorola 19" chassis if available. I may be over simplifying, so please correct me in this if needed. The best Idea would be one I proposed several weeks ago on this Forum. Try and locate a 1957 Westinghouse 22" color set that employs this very tube. What a find this would be. Seems these receivers are, in my opinion, the Holy Grail of vintage color sets.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 10-29-2002, 11:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Similar minds

Seems, I wrote my reply to John before Steve McVoy's reply came up on my server. Steve did first and rightly point up an obvious solution to checking out that 22" tube.