Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Telefunken Opus 7 aux connector cable source?

Got this cable on ebay, and it works great with a Telefunken Gavotte, a perfect fit for the tape reel inputs.
I had actually ordered it for a Telefunken Opus 7's tape input, but the 3 prong din plug is too big.
Anyone have a source for such a cable?
Is it called Din3 or 4 or something else? Any leads appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-25-2018, 06:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Read somewhere that with a DIN3 connector Pin one is the output pin two ground pin three input.

I had been just inserting the cut off end of an rca cable by tying the two hot wires together and put that in whatever slot makes a hum, and tie the grounds together and find which of the other two slots pass signal.

This does allow inputting a signal, but is less than ideal in that even though I separated the wires to prevent shorts*, the sound has a really rolled off top end.
Hoping that the correct "tool for the job" would restore full bandwidth like the radio signal gives.

* For the photo.removed the little toothpick separator I had inserted between the wires there as a stopgap anti-short measure.

Telefunken Opus 7's input:

a reply elsewhere said the following:
"A y-cable like you've made is fine for splitting an output, but it's a bad idea to use one for summing outputs.
A basic summing matrix uses three resistors of the same value joined in a Y shape. The two top points are the inputs, the center of the Y is the output, and the bottom point is ground. 10Kohm is probably a good value to try."

Telefunken Gavotte's inputs:

Now I'm confused because the same cable on the Gavotte sounds fantastic. Why won't the same configuration work with the Opus 7? In any case, a cable for the purpose would be fantastic to locate.

Last edited by shedshrine; 08-29-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:33 PM
M is for Memory

Some thoughts: If one radio is stereo the other mono the connector may have different pinouts on the different sets.

It certainly looks like the last pictured connector is mono. That reply about resistor summing of stereo to mono is valid...If you short two channels of signal source together performance of both channels may suffer (possibly resulting in damage to the source hardware in the worst case).

Other possibilities in the variance in input audio quality (presumably relative to comparable radio sound performance) may be in the individual radios input circuits/expected input devices. A phono input might be RIAA equalized, a tape input could be a flat line input, or it might have an equalization for direct tape head line in.

Some European connectors have odd pinouts and or redundant grounds. If feasible I recommend getting the schematic and tracing the connector out to confirm you are wiring it correctly...If you are wiring signal ground of one thing to hot of another and vice versa and both signal grounds are coupling through the power systems things can get weird.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-26-2018, 01:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks electronic M for the information and your time. Much appreciated.

I must admit I am not particularly electronically savvy. I have spent years recording, creating and listening to music, but fixing the tools of the trade..I'm afraid I never picked up skills beyond basic loose wire re-soldering and a seat of my pants mic preamp build by looking at photos of completed boards.

The Opus 7 looks great on a shelf and picks up broadcasts well enough, it's just capable of so much more. I've heard what the Gavotte can do with a good sound source run through it.

I'm sure others have succeeded in locating or making connector cables that allow outside sound sources to be played through them. I'm sure there are many who would like to know how to make that happen.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ah geez, I messed around with cleaning up the wiring, and also cranking the volume for a bit. Seemed to clear out or fix the clarity a bit. I think I'm good for now. I had tinned the wiring twisted pairs from the git go, but I think maybe a strand of the outer jacket shielding was involved, I don't know..Thanks for your patience folks.

This has been going on for awhile..
At one point I was patching in an old Rane GE14 graphic eq.

Now I'm patching in a *Schiit Audio Loki, a little $150 equalizer to experiment with. *Yes that is the name of the company. They make good stuff!

Not finding it necessary now that the cobwebs have been shaken out or whatever happened. There is a loud hum, I'll mess around with grounding ideas. In the meantime, the music covers up the hum for the most part when its playing.
Still interested in a made for the job cable if anyone out there makes them or would be willing to make one up. I would of course pay you for your efforts.

Last edited by shedshrine; 08-26-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 08-26-2018, 06:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Shed,

I have an identical Gavotte, except your finish is in better shape. I tried looking on ebay but couldn't seem to come up with the same cable. Any keywords or links to look for?
Old 08-26-2018, 09:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

3 Pin DIN to 2 Phono (RCA) Plug Cable. OFC Cable 1M Length
Old 08-28-2018, 09:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks shed!
Old 08-29-2018, 01:37 AM
I love old stuff

Here is a list of D.I.N. connectors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector

I'm curios, how does your radios behave on F.M.?
Old 08-29-2018, 10:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Both of mine sound GREAT on FM. Many folks have commented on the sound quality. Both of mine have worked as found which makes re-capping and so on much easier.
Audiokarma
Old 08-29-2018, 01:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ditto. When not being fed my music library, running FM NPR and classical for the most part. Too many commercials anywhere else.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Man...
Time to admit my eyes are shot and that it's time for glasses. I was not positioning the new cable correctly to fit into the Opus 7's input.

I'm sure a few others were probably scratching there heads thinking what is this guy's issue, it's the same size, same DIN3, just plug the damn thing in. Doh!

I was stubbornly trying to put in in like I had for the Gavotte. But turn it a half turn and it went right in. So, fyi, It will go in two ways, only one is correct.

Now that all three pins receptacles are happy, the hum is gone, the sound is full. No need for patching in the external eq.

Messing with the Opus 7's tone options this evening... Sparking joy with the Volume about 10 o'clock with the bass and treble wheels at basically mid point, and the Jazz (a presence boost) and Bass tone circuit buttons depressed I was getting plenty of clarity and detail and enough bass without distortion or murkiness. A subwoofer it is not, but it is not lacking bass. The low mids fill in nicely.

Last edited by shedshrine; 09-09-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

The plugs that those old German radios use are what's called a 5-pin Din and you can get those off of any old run of the mill computer keyboard from the 1980s and 1990s just cut the cable off of the keyboard and strip the sheathing off of the wiring and strip the wires off and you'll have a nice 5-pin Din audio cable for your radio, the stripped wire ends you can wire standard RCA cables to.

My 1970s Vintage Sony Reel-to-Reel Tape Recorder has those plugs as well, and so does my 1969 Pioneer SX-1000 TD Stereo Receiver.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

awesome, thanks.