Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Well Anyways I'm surprised no one on here had mentioned anything about this one being a good save, because I know that the Montgomery Wards TV I saved and posted about on here everyone was talking about and saying how much of a good save that one was but when I save this old Sony regardless of whether or not it was from the '60s or the '70s should of been considered just as good of a save because its a lot earlier than the Montgomery Wards set I saved earlier.
Fourteen responses about this set, shows there is a certain degree of interest, as in many entrees on this forum.
Yes, it was a good save!
Ask the person that has control of the disposition of electronic salvage, to let you see the items, before they cut the cords off or do other damage. The worst, they could say is "NO".
BTW, My main interest is small screen color sets, like your Wards set. As stated before, I do have several small screen B/W sets, including "jelly bean sets" but they were mostly "Freebees".
Old 02-15-2016, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Fourteen responses about this set, shows there is a certain degree of interest, as in many entrees on this forum.
Yes, it was a good save!
Ask the person that has control of the disposition of electronic salvage, to let you see the items, before they cut the cords off or do other damage. The worst, they could say is "NO".
BTW, My main interest is small screen color sets, like your Wards set. As stated before, I do have several small screen B/W sets, including "jelly bean sets" but they were mostly "Freebees".
OK, that's cool. So how long does it take exactly to "wake up" a picture tube that's been asleep for a long time? Just wondering because I've been trying to use that Montgomery Wards TV fairly often recently and it seems that its still a little dim yet and hasn't completely woken up yet.
What's interesting is that they did put a couple of small portable TVs on the floor, one of them a Realistic 5" portable color TV with Video inputs and outputs on it and an external antenna connection from 1989, and the other one a Hitachi 5" B & W portable from the early 1980s with external antenna connections as well (both had their original rod antennas intact yet). Anyways It seems if the TV is a small enough portable TV they will put it out on the floor. They also had a late 1980s Sony Watchman in their donation bin one day that was still in really good shape yet that was I think scrapped out.

Last edited by Captainclock; 02-15-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Sony in that era had the really small portable TV market in the palm of it's hand. It is not a very rare set compared to the wards.
OK, I didn't know, although that was the first time I had ever seen one of those before.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
OK, that's cool. So how long does it take exactly to "wake up" a picture tube that's been asleep for a long time? Just wondering because I've been trying to use that Montgomery Wards TV fairly often recently and it seems that its still a little dim yet and hasn't completely woken up yet.
What's interesting is that they did put a couple of small portable TVs on the floor, one of them a Realistic 5" portable color TV with Video inputs and outputs on it and an external antenna connection from 1989, and the other one a Hitachi 5" B & W portable from the early 1980s with external antenna connections as well (both had their original rod antennas intact yet). Anyways It seems if the TV is a small enough portable TV they will put it out on the floor. They also had a late 1980s Sony Watchman in their donation bin one day that was still in really good shape yet that was I think scrapped out.
I'm pretty sure is has a "Screen control", that needs adjustment. I should be on the flyback along with the focus control.
BTW, you should buy the Realistic 5" set if it's reasonable enough. One thing nice about them is they're not that large and you can use it for a monitor for VCR repair.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm pretty sure is has a "Screen control", that needs adjustment. I should be on the flyback along with the focus control.
BTW, you should buy the Realistic 5" set if it's reasonable enough. One thing nice about them is they're not that large and you can use it for a monitor for VCR repair.
OK, I'll see about getting that Realistic monitor. I think its still there.
I'll check the Screen control Adjustment. The Sony Has the same issue I noticed, so I guess I'll check the screen control on it as well.
Audiokarma
Old 02-15-2016, 12:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
OK, I'll see about getting that Realistic monitor. I think its still there.
I'll check the Screen control Adjustment. The Sony Has the same issue I noticed, so I guess I'll check the screen control on it as well.
B/W sets don't have a screen control AFAIK. Maybe a brightness range. The CRT is probably just weak from heavy usage.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
B/W sets don't have a screen control AFAIK. Maybe a brightness range. The CRT is probably just weak from heavy usage.
Hmm, well when I adjust the brightness and contrast controls the screen does some funky stuff like making light tones like light colored skin and what not look almost greyish-black instead of white colored (and dark colored skin and other darker tones look whiteish colored almost like its inverting the greytones), is that a sign that the picture tube is about shot?
Old 02-15-2016, 03:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Hmm, well when I adjust the brightness and contrast controls the screen does some funky stuff like making light tones like light colored skin and what not look almost greyish-black instead of white colored (and dark colored skin and other darker tones look whiteish colored almost like its inverting the greytones), is that a sign that the picture tube is about shot?
Yes... CRT engineers refer to that phenomenon as "double peaking"... the beam current does not increase in a linear fashion as grid drive is increased, but may actually decrease and then increase again as grid drive is advanced farther, creating a second brightness peak. Very common on a worn out CRT.

jr
Old 02-15-2016, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Yes... CRT engineers refer to that phenomenon as "double peaking"... the beam current does not increase in a linear fashion as grid drive is increased, but may actually decrease and then increase again as grid drive is advanced farther, creating a second brightness peak. Very common on a worn out CRT.

jr
Ah, well that's too bad, well I guess it would make a nice displaye piece if nothing else.

As for my Montgomery Wards TV the Brightness has to be turned all the way up in order to see the picture otherwise you can't see anything, I was told that it might be an adjustment on the Flyback that needs to be adjusted (screen control?) but other than that I'm hoping that the picture tube isn't about dead on it because that would be rather odd for a TV that saw little use to have a failing picture tube already, especially when the color is fine yet just the brightness is a little off for some reason on it.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Great save.

I think I have a set similar like this set.

I agree.Those PITA Sony power cords.Panasonic follows,are a nightmare If you dont get the right pinout and voltage info .

Pop goes the weasel.
Audiokarma
Old 02-20-2016, 04:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

CRT's almost always fail due to low emission. On a
B&W symptoms are dark pix, negative pix, streaking of
bright areas, slow warm up & overly bright whites with no detail or any
combination of.....

Best test is darken the room, turn down the bright & contrast.
If it looks a lot better its the CRT 99%.

All fixes are risky ( except a new CRT )
Rejuvenation, only use a MODERN CRT checker for this made
after the early 70's.
Brighteners only work on some sets.
Most sets have a low ohm resistor in series with the filament.
It can be jumped out to give a little more E but again risky.

As far as waking it up goes regular use will usually improve things
but its a process that goes on just like people getting old &
slowing down......

73 Zeno
Old 02-20-2016, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
CRT's almost always fail due to low emission. On a
B&W symptoms are dark pix, negative pix, streaking of
bright areas, slow warm up & overly bright whites with no detail or any
combination of.....

Best test is darken the room, turn down the bright & contrast.
If it looks a lot better its the CRT 99%.

All fixes are risky ( except a new CRT )
Rejuvenation, only use a MODERN CRT checker for this made
after the early 70's.
Brighteners only work on some sets.
Most sets have a low ohm resistor in series with the filament.
It can be jumped out to give a little more E but again risky.

As far as waking it up goes regular use will usually improve things
but its a process that goes on just like people getting old &
slowing down......

73 Zeno
OK, I'll give the TV a try and see if it actually exibits any of the symptoms you mentioned or if perhaps its just needs time to wake up the CRT from not being used for a long time, seeing as this TV is from between 1967-1972 I would guess that this TV probably was supplanted by a modern Color TV and was just left in a guest bedroom for years unused, before the previous owners donated the TV to Goodwill.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice find.

This reminded me of another Sony 9" portable from the 60's:
Sony TV9-306UB
A restoration
Old 02-24-2016, 07:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm1200 View Post
Nice find.

This reminded me of another Sony 9" portable from the 60's:
Sony TV9-306UB
A restoration
That's interesting, although apparently that was strictly a British model only from what I see, whereas the model I have is an American model. Mine has a provision for a rechargable battery pack and also a 12 Volt car plugin on the same socket. on mine the case and antenna and carrying handle were in near mint condition including the original power cord with original Sony plug end before it got cut off at Goodwill, the only issue with it is that the picture tube is about shot on it sadly enough...