Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:21 PM
BigDavesTV

Smile RCA Color Test Jig #10J106

Hi All,
Can someone who has an RCA COLOR Test Jig, model 10J106, please supply info on the pin out of the Yoke Extension Cable, that connects to the 12 position Molex Yoke connector?
That's the cable that plugs into the front panel Yoke connector on the Jig, the other end of it has an 8 pin male octal plug, to connect to the yoke adapters. I'm making one up for a jig that is missing the extension cable, but has the front panel Molex plugin socket. I have the connectors, but need the pin out, please. I believe RCA calls the yoke extension cable # 10J600. Thanks much!
Old 07-15-2015, 07:30 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDavesTV View Post
Hi All,
Can someone who has an RCA COLOR Test Jig, model 10J106, please supply info on the pin out of the Yoke Extension Cable, that connects to the 12 position Molex Yoke connector?
That's the cable that plugs into the front panel Yoke connector on the Jig, the other end of it has an 8 pin male octal plug, to connect to the yoke adapters. I'm making one up for a jig that is missing the extension cable, but has the front panel Molex plugin socket. I have the connectors, but need the pin out, please. I believe RCA calls the yoke extension cable # 10J600. Thanks much!
I have an extension cable for RCA jigs - let me check later today. Most cables pinouts are pin-pin, with color coded wires in ascending order (black, brown, red, orange, yellow, etc.) 4 feet long, IIRC.

For molex to octal, you'll probably need the adapter. Most extension cables are not adaptive - they are the same connector style on each end - molex plug to molex socket, or octal plug to octal plug, for example. There are some exceptions - the CTC40 adapter set, for example, a mix of molex and octal cabling.

There are a bunch of adapters and cables on eBay right now - no affiliation - just search for "RCA 10J" and you'll find them. Might save you some time.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 07-15-2015, 12:49 PM
Followin' the Rules...

I have the 10J122 Yoke extender - 12 pin molex to 12 pin molex, .093" pins/sockets. It's the one that comes with the 106:

(from an RCA ad, July '75)
Accessories included for RCA sets: two 4 -ft. cables for kines and yokes; molex to octal adapter; special yoke adapter; two convergence loads for RCA chassis; high voltage lead; ground lead; audio cable and speaker; high voltage extension cable; continually-updated Cross Reference Handbook; set-up and instruction manuals.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:25 AM
BigDavesTV

Thanks for checking, Findm-Keepm, I appreciate it. I guess if I had the 10J122 Yoke Extender, I could use the Molex to Yoke Adapter, as the AD mentions. I know all the Yoke adapters I have with this Jig, expect to see an Octal pug, which then has to go to the Molex connector on the front panel. The cable I need is the 10J600, or if I had the 10J122, then I still need the Molex to Octal adapter for that. I sincerely believe someone of us fellow VK'ers out there has a working RCA 10J106 Test Rig, that could supply me with the pin to pin connections for that cable, that's what I really need. Thankfully I have the proper Molex and Octal plugs, but I need to know the pin-out of the connectors, from a working cable set, then I can make what I have on hand work! Thanks again for the information, I'm hoping for more info., in the near future.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:33 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Did your adapters come with the 10J106? The 1960s RCA roundie jig used octal stuff exclusively, and the molex-to-octal adapter was a retrofit to allow the CTC25/38/39/40 and other sets with octal-plugged yokes with the 10J106.

Audiokarma
Old 07-16-2015, 11:47 AM
BigDavesTV

Thanks, Brian. The adapters that are with this RCA Jig, all have Octal on one end (output to the Jig), and Octal on the other end (of the one's that plug into octal type yoke sockets), other adapters that go to Zenith types, have the appropriate set connector to the chassis on one end, and octal on the other end, to go to the Jig extension cable. Maybe these adapters are from an older Roundie test Jig, I don't know for sure, but they ALL have the RCA "10J" numbers on them.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Dunno if this is still valid, but here's an ICTJ book. Ours was loose-leaf, not bound.

http://www.ysupplies.com/vintage-rca...ible-i3912056/

Old 07-20-2015, 11:18 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

BigDave, I have a Sylvania CK3000 test jig, but I know that it works with (and I have several) RCA cables/adapters as well. I will look at its cables and see if the basic yoke cable is a Molex-to-octal cable; I kind of remember that being true. My jig's basic CRT cable is Molex-to-CRT-socket, probably whatever the most popular color CRT socket was as of the early or mid 1970s. The jig also uses "yoke programmers", plug-in octal modules to match the jig to different yoke/chassis types, and it also has "convergence loads", modules that plug in to the TV chassis to substitute for the convergence board (which is simply omitted/ignored when the jig is used).

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 07-21-2015, 06:18 AM
Followin' the Rules...

The CK3000 is a Telematic-made jig, IIRC Be careful with subbing across to an RCA. Some cables work fine, but some cables, loads and adapters are w-a-a-y different. Most I've worked with had the yellow tags hanging off them, warning you to use only with a Sylvania or Tele-matic jig.

What you need most to find is the molex to octal adapter that came with the 10J106, or a pinout to make your own. My memory is that is was a straight arrangement - pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, etc. RCA always used color coded wires, following the EIA color coding, same as the resistor color code for 1-10, but using tracers after 10. My convergence extender cable is just that - all the colors match up to the pin number. Rca's one exception was with the Chipper Checker - the wires were all the same color for some reason.

The convergence and yoke adapters - good luck finding any pinouts for those. RCA kept that info out of our hands - they needed to sell adapters to make the jig program worth their time. On my one and only visit to the local Sears electronic service center (to pick up some regulator SCRs for a Sears/Warwick set), I noticed they had a huge black wall organizer for their RCA jig - 30 or 40 boxes to store their jig adapters. Never saw a jig - just the mailbox-looking organizer with all the RCA boxes and loose adapters in them.

I'm not sure if the 10J130 is the adapter or not, but here are some photos from an eBay listing - Photo credit:eBay

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 09-29-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:23 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Here are the connections for the Sylvania CK3000 yoke cable and roundie yoke adapter. I do not know if the RCA jig's Molex connector used the same pin connections as the Sylvania. The Sylvania's manual says that the B207 cable does not cross to an RCA cable, implying that the RCA connector is indeed different.

Sylvania yoke cable (B207) connections:
Molex octal
1 4
3 5
5 6
9 2
10 1
11 7
12 8

Sylvania roundie color yoke adapter (A112) connections:
Octal wire
1 yellow
2 black
4 red
6 blue
7-8 shorted

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 10-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Followin' the Rules...

A 10J250 showed up on eBay - if you still need the convergence adapter....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-RCA-...item1c59a4cf8c

Old 10-17-2015, 01:52 PM
Old TVs are better!

I recently purchased an RCA 10J106 test jig with hopes of using it to repair and service roundie TVs, and other older tube type sets. It didn't come with any instruction books, but did come with some adapters. Most of the adapters are for the newer push on type CRT sockets found in solid state sets, not the standard sockets such as found on a 25AP22, or the round 21FBP22 type of CRTs. I am need of the adapters for hooking up a roundie CRT, and also the yokes used in those type of sets. Also the adapters for the tube type sets, such as a RCA CTC38, etc. If anyone has any of these adapters, or the manual for the test jig, let me know. I'm pretty sure it can be used with tube type sets, but need more info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1196.jpg (97.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1199.jpg (63.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1198.jpg (80.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1197.jpg (104.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-17-2015, 02:22 PM
M is for Memory

If you have a spare socket for the CRT in it, and brighteners for the types of tubes in the sets you plan to use it with, then you can make your own CRT adapters by following the wiring color code, and splicing the correct ends together.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-17-2015, 03:06 PM
Old TVs are better!

The CRT socket thing using a brightener should work out fine, however can I sub the round yoke connections to the rectangular yoke, without causing problems to the set or the yoke in the test jig itself.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:09 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterbeers View Post
The CRT socket thing using a brightener should work out fine, however can I sub the round yoke connections to the rectangular yoke, without causing problems to the set or the yoke in the test jig itself.
Shouldn't be a problem - with the 10J106, the impedance adapter is built in for tube sets - use the internal yoke, set both switches to tube sets, and hook up the roundie chassis with the proper cables.

For the older roundie test jig, RCA made the 10J107 adapter to allow newer 90 degree chassis on the older (70 degree) jig. It's just a big impedance matching matrix, similar to the one in your 10J106.

Audiokarma