Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:03 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

I hear ya. Same thing with my '70 Sony B&W portable. Bought cheap and too good to toss. Right now I have my feet shifted to the left because of what little space it takes up under my desk.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:05 PM
David Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
I assume the PR57. I got a nice one for about $65 with shipping on Ebay maybe 7 years ago or so....and a CR-70 a GOOD One-- works VERY well--for maybe 75....And a VA-62 (NOT 48) for maybe $35, 10 or so years ago....

25 years ago--all of that would have cost OVER 5 THOUSAND dollars !!
Yes, it was a PR57. I bought it right when they introduced that model, and it sure seen a lot of use.

I remember Sencore tried to sell it by suggesting we charge the customer an extra fee ($2 or something along those lines) for a "Safety Leakage Check" on every TV we repaired. They even gave me a supply of stickers to put on the back of the set that said it had been "safety checked".

The only problem was by that time, there were very few points on the average TV set that the customer could come in contact with to get a shock even if there were a problem. The input jacks were about it.

Does anyone remember going to a Sencore sponsored troubleshooting class? They used to sponsor them occasionally, and they were pretty good (if you were careful to realize what they were really teaching was how to troubleshoot using their equipment). I went to one on servicing VCR servo systems, and another on switched mode power supplies. I think I've even got my completion certificates around somewhere.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
I assume the PR57. I got a nice one for about $65 with shipping on Ebay maybe 7 years ago or so....and a CR-70 a GOOD One-- works VERY well--for maybe 75....And a VA-62 (NOT 48) for maybe $35, 10 or so years ago....

25 years ago--all of that would have cost OVER 5 THOUSAND dollars !!
That was 10 years ago! Now, some of that equipment prices went clear to the sky.
The guy I bought the VA48 from, also frequents E-Bay for selling prices.
It's a shame that there's absolutely no support of Sencore equipment available.
Their lifetime guarantee isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

I got 9 pieces of like new SENCORE test equipment that I drooled over when it was new, about a week ago.

Now, I can do total NTSC work again!!

The cute little 5" Magnavox color set was known for the audio output IC failure. Some of these failures took out a fusable resistor in the power supply, too. I saw a bunch of them, as we were doing warranty work on them.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Motorola Minion

For only $4.97 -the local GW had a 7" Quasar monochrome portable model XP1772SJ with a slide rule tuner.

Dated Aug 1980, it takes 9 D cells under a side-mount cover. I plugged it in and it made nice crisp and contrasty snow.

Now, if I could only find a DTV converter circuit board that would fit in and power off those batts.
Audiokarma
Old 06-23-2014, 11:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
For only $4.97 -the local GW had a 7" Quasar monochrome portable model XP1772SJ with a slide rule tuner.

Dated Aug 1980, it takes 9 D cells under a side-mount cover. I plugged it in and it made nice crisp and contrasty snow.

Now, if I could only find a DTV converter circuit board that would fit in and power off those batts.
Some of the newer issue RCA DTV convertors are rather small and operate from 9 VDC. The circuit board is about the same size as the outer case, which is rather small.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post

Nine batteries will cost about as much as the TV. Those little units were cool. I can remember getting one a long time ago and watching TV in my car during my lunch break.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:18 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet753 View Post
I have never been able to luck-up on finding a piece of Sencore equipment @ a thrift store. You sure were lucky on that one!

Back when I was in the biz, I only had one piece of Sencore equipment. It was a $500 isolation transformer/variac/leakage tester. Sencore's high prices were way out-of-line compared to their competition. They made some great test equipment, but you sure paid for them.

I had mostly B&K brand stuff on my bench.
Seems that B&K stuff has gone the same way. Just try to get a reasonably-priced HV-44 probe.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:11 PM
I love old stuff

Uh, that "Sears" SR200 make me sad In a container at a Centru de Colectare Deşeuri Electronice şi Electrocasnice (Center for Collecting Electronical and [Electric] House Apliances Debries) * ** from my neiberghood where 2 old poratble tvs (I think one had radio too). They can't be resold... they must be send to be destroyed.

* I've seen good thing there...
** I don't remeber if I've stoves.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
The Sencore vc93 i really do not have a use for, yet, but I thought no one there even knew what it was. Either I will eventually get a va62, or someone else may need it. Who knows.
It doesn't look like a VC93 to me - it looks like a VC63.....
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma
Old 06-04-2015, 08:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
It doesn't look like a VC93 to me - it looks like a VC63.....
You are quite correct it is a VC-63. 6,9 whats 3 among friends? I still do not have a VA62 to use it with.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:43 AM
Followin' the Rules...

The VC63 is the only VA62 add-on I don't have. My VA62 was inherited from my Dad. Dad was given his VA62, along with an SC61! A retired/disabled TV technician had it in his closet, unused and like-new. Dad fixed his TV, and the guy paid for his repair, and then gave Dad the VA62/SC61 combo. Dad handed back the payment, offered the guy some money, and they settled on free TV repairs for life for the guy. He died a few years later, and dad was never called back for any repairs.

I use it mostly for ringing flybacks, and use the bias supply often. I learned at an early age not to mess with IF alignments, unless you replace something in the IFs that require alignment. If it ain't broke....

A VC93 would be worth quite a bit more than the VC63...
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!