Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

New member from Portland Oregon

This is my first delve into the world of TVs. A few years ago I became obsessed with vintage watches, then cameras, typewriters, and lastly - radios. Last week I bought a Crosley 10-135 - and what was sitting right next to it? An old "portable" tv. I have worked on radios a bit but never seriously. I haven't had one that required much. I can solder in some caps but that's about it. When I got the TV I decided to buy an isolation transformer and a tube tester - which turned out to be a bad buy. I guess I need a fancier one?

Anyways - here's some of my stuff. I WILL be asking for help on the TV.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Turf1600, welcome to the forum. Very cool TV you found there and there is lots of good help here to assist you in getting it going again. To bad about the tube tester, nice piece but for the old tubes only.

Gregb
Old 10-27-2014, 03:21 PM
M is for Memory

Welcome! I like your taste in radios. Are you aware that analog television broadcasts (the type that TV is meant to tune) are no longer being broadcast*? I ask because it appears you are trying to get a station direct via the antenna. If you want to use that TV set (and it appears it could possibly work as is with a signal) you will need to connect the antenna in of that set to the TV RF out of a VCR, DTV converter box, analog cable (if it is still offered in your area, and you are lucky enough to have it), DVD player (some need an outboard RF modulator to work with a set like yours), or one of a hand full of other devices.

*There are still a few low power analog TV stations around, but the probability of tuning one is slim, and they are going to be phased out soon.

The triplet probably needs some repair, but is likely a decent tester for pre-war radios (when working).
I keep two testers: A B&K 606 for Octal tubes thru the last gasp compactrons, and an older one for the prewar fat-pit tube types.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-27-2014, 08:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Will you be restoring that Crosley back to the original color? It looks like a reject with the black case & white knobs.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Welcome! I like your taste in radios. Are you aware that analog television broadcasts (the type that TV is meant to tune) are no longer being broadcast*? I ask because it appears you are trying to get a station direct via the antenna. If you want to use that TV set (and it appears it could possibly work as is with a signal) you will need to connect the antenna in of that set to the TV RF out of a VCR, DTV converter box, analog cable (if it is still offered in your area, and you are lucky enough to have it), DVD player (some need an outboard RF modulator to work with a set like yours), or one of a hand full of other devices.

*There are still a few low power analog TV stations around, but the probability of tuning one is slim, and they are going to be phased out soon.

The triplet probably needs some repair, but is likely a decent tester for pre-war radios (when working).
I keep two testers: A B&K 606 for Octal tubes thru the last gasp compactrons, and an older one for the prewar fat-pit tube types.
Thank you! I did hook the tv up to a VCR. It acts like it wants to tune but the channel rolls beyond recognition. I know this is a no-no - but I ordered some new tubes for it prior to testing any of the existing ones. I have read about the difficulties of re-capping this set but do not know if I'm up for the task yet. I've only ever recapped one
radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Will you be restoring that Crosley back to the original color? It looks like a reject with the black case & white knobs.

I actually rather like the black. I may polish it up and paint the knob inserts black.
Audiokarma
Old 10-27-2014, 10:16 PM
M is for Memory

Have you tried the horizontal and vertical hold knobs, as well as the fine tuning? Any of those can cause rolling if not correctly adjusted. AGC can also mess with the synch though many portables lacked it, and you have not complained of too much or little contrast (which would accompany synch issues if AGC were to blame).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-27-2014, 10:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Have you tried the horizontal and vertical hold knobs, as well as the fine tuning? Any of those can cause rolling if not correctly adjusted. AGC can also mess with the synch though many portables lacked it, and you have not complained of too much or little contrast (which would accompany synch issues if AGC were to blame).
Yes, I was able to achieve some snow and get rid of the bright line across the screen but that's about it. I think my issues are outside of the range of adjustment. I'm quite certain that some capacitors are out of spec and after reading the SAMs I'm pretty sure I have at least 1 bad tube.