Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Site News

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Exclamation Please don't switch videokarma to that new software audiokarma is no on

I kinda hate that new forum software they switched Audiokarma on a month ago. It's a PITA. It's probably a case of having to figure out a different software package, which is an aggravating annoyance for no real payoff. I already went thru the learning curve to get comfortable with the current forum software Videokarma is running, and see no real reason to have to go thru that again.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:55 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

There's still a problem with shared images as well. I get a bunch of messed-up text links where buttons should be in the PM system and when using advanced thread reply.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Wardsweb is not yet finished with the conversion, and is working on images, now.

Please be patient.

Let us not look back, in anger, nor forward, in fear, but around, in awareness.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:19 PM
Not sure how I got here.

I don't like it either....

Old 10-30-2015, 08:22 PM
Followin' the Rules...

+1

To quote Yoda, sucketh it does.

via Imgflip Meme Maker

Work in progress, but a retrograde from my user experience. VBulletin is the best forum environment, but must be a pain to maintain, =or= we have some folks who just like to tinker and inflict pain upon others.

I'll hang out here for a while.......
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 10-31-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 10-30-2015, 08:47 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
+1

To quote Yoda, sucketh it does.

Work in progress, but a retrograde from my user experience. VBulletin is the best forum environment, but must be a pain to maintain, =or= we have some folks who just like to tinker and inflict pain upon others.

I'll hang out here for a while.......
I say that's mostly what's behind modern technology, which is never modern for long these days.

First Windows 8, now this.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Whoa. Wow. Why didn't you guys just go with SMF?

I've never used that forum software before, but I can say that the vbulletin used here... well the PM system was designed by somebody with a violent, sadistic hatred towards user interfaces.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I find it a bit hard to Navigate, so far...but then I was used to the old one.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:23 PM
Administrator

From what I understand, there's no plan to change VK over in the immediate future.......

Old 10-31-2015, 07:22 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
From what I understand, there's no plan to change VK over in the immediate future.......

Audiokarma
Old 11-01-2015, 02:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't care for the new look at AK, but I am finding as I get older I don't care for any change that happens just for the sake of change. I wonder if anyone else among us feels the same.......nah. It's just me. On the other hand, I may learn to like the new look in time.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:37 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Bourquin View Post
I don't care for the new look at AK, but I am finding as I get older I don't care for any change that happens just for the sake of change. I wonder if anyone else among us feels the same.......nah. It's just me. On the other hand, I may learn to like the new look in time.
Even change that appears to be for the sake of change isn't always....In computer related dealings things get old fast....Un-patchable security holes are found, much more efficient ways of doing things are found, other platforms become so much more advanced that new products don't bother to support an old one, etc. Some of it can be seen customer/user side, but some of it can't.

It is sort of like an older fleet of taxis. If the interiors or bodywork are going to hell the customer will celebrate replacement, but if that was fine and instead the frames were rusting out and or the drive-trains were needing more work than the vehicles were worth then the customers may miss the old ones and complain of their replacement.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-01-2015, 04:44 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Even change that appears to be for the sake of change isn't always....In computer related dealings things get old fast....Un-patchable security holes are found, much more efficient ways of doing things are found, other platforms become so much more advanced that new products don't bother to support an old one, etc. Some of it can be seen customer/user side, but some of it can't.

It is sort of like an older fleet of taxis. If the interiors or bodywork are going to hell the customer will celebrate replacement, but if that was fine and instead the frames were rusting out and or the drive-trains were needing more work than the vehicles were worth then the customers may miss the old ones and complain of their replacement.
I just wonder if the VBulletin database had become too large - AK was the largest forum I've seen run with VBulletin. Most forums that large do use other software. I'm no expert, but when a SQL database gets huge, it can be slow, hard to backup, and even harder to add features/fields.

I'm mostly an Access fellow myself, having hacked an Access 2.0 database to add fields and queries - way back in 1993. Too bad it's losing favor...

Old 11-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Bourquin View Post
No, I think everyone here can relate...including myself. I mean after all, look at the old crappy TVs we still watch
Old 11-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
No, I think everyone here can relate...including myself. I mean after all, look at the old crappy TVs we still watch
It's better to use old crappy TVs than shell out dough for new and even more crappy TVs.
Audiokarma