Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-19-2003, 11:51 PM
Banned

RCA vintage 21" score!

We finally got a break from the extreme cold and snow today so I took a trip to Hamilton and purchased the RCA 21" color set off Gary Borton that had recently closed on ebay with no buyer. He told me that it had been fully serviced at considerable expense to him and was working perfectly last time he plugged it in. I got it home and let it warm and dry out for several hours before putting the juice to it. When I did it made the normal 'thump-diminishing buzz' that you get from the degaussing coil circuit, then the set came up normally and gave sound first, then the reassuriung crackle and then by golly a picture out of H-sync. I tweaked the H hold and voila a color picture! I had to tweak some of the controls as it warmed up but eventually had a pretty good picture happening. Convergence is pretty good. I need to adjust the crt screen's bias but I like to wait until sleeping components get some exercise before doing this adjustment unless they are really out to start with, which these arent. I haven't had the back off yet but although it is hard to see through the holes with a flashlight I see quite a few orange drops in there, so this set was probably largely recapped. No power supply wiggle on the picture either. The top of the cabinet is rough and the whole finish needs restoration, but otherwise this is a great addition to my color collection. Many thanx Gary!

I believe this is a CTC-16 chassis set from the rear apron layout.

From the discussions here about later 21FJP22 CRT's without the protective laminated faceplate, this appears to be one of those. The emission is very good.

Rob

Last edited by Rob; 02-20-2003 at 02:21 AM.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:52 PM
Banned

Here's a screen shot taken during the first-light session this evening.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:21 AM
On Land

Rob,

Great score and great picture! I bet that guy on the news started out when that RCA was new!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Orphan in the Storm

Hey Rob,
Good catch, I'm glad somebody rescued that set. Nice bright picture.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:53 PM
On Land

Rob,

Being that you think the safety glass has been removed from the CRT, does it seem to make any difference in the picture you get compared to a CRT with the safety glass? Those safety glasses are somewhat dark, aren't they?

Charlie

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Audiokarma
Old 02-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Banned

Contrast filtering

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie
Rob,

Being that you think the safety glass has been removed from the CRT, does it seem to make any difference in the picture you get compared to a CRT with the safety glass? Those safety glasses are somewhat dark, aren't they?

Charlie
Charlie,

I haven't had much time to actually watch this set in the just abou 24 hours since I first touched it in the warehouse. The original Star Trek series runs at 2:30 am and I was trying to wait up to watch it on this TV but the trip to fetch it had left me too tired.

I think I would need to watch two sets together, one with the filterglass faceplate and this one, to really tell. In theory the contrast with room light on should be noticeably better with the dark filtered tube. The theory is that room light reflection has to go through the faceplate filter twice thus reducing it's intensity greatly. CRT light only once, not reducing it by too much. That reduction is still probably in the 30% range though as a rough guess.

I think the set with the darker screen filter is more cosmetically attractive, and the one without more technically interesting.

As for getting it. It is always an exciting thing to bring home a 21" round screen vintage color TV. When you plug it in and it works well, ....hey what can I say.

Rob

Last edited by Rob; 02-20-2003 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:46 PM
Banned

Re: Orphan in the Storm

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve D.
Hey Rob,
Good catch, I'm glad somebody rescued that set. Nice bright picture.
Steve,

Not an orphan any more. This one is back with its own kind. I am showing it currently with six other saved 21" round screen sets in my rec-room, all which make a picture when plugged in. Space to display these is getting tight however since the room serves double duty as an audio testing area and home theater.

Rob
Old 02-20-2003, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Re: Contrast filtering

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob

It is always an exciting thing to bring home a 21" round screen vintage color TV. When you plug it in and it works well, ....hey what can I say.

Rob
I know what you mean Rob, it's always such a disappointment when they fire right up and work, you don't get to have any fun fixing it at all!