Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Uhh, I dunno if I'd fool w/that any more...That IS a 65 yr old TeeVee, after all...Its bound to have had some "Love Pats" thru the years...In a way, they add "Character". It looks pretty darn good the way it is.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

I once had a chance to see a 721. The first thing I noticed was there was no DC restoration. Secondly, the picture is slightly softer due to the narrower IF response (three IF stages instead of four). The number of tubes in the IF does not affect sensitivity as much as picture detail and the 721 has about 1 MHz less wide Video IF bandwidth than the 630.

It is interesting to note that the later intercarrier designs allowed set users on strong signal stations to adjust the fine tuning lower on the nyquist slope to improve picture detail and on weaker signal stations move it higher for better signal to noise performance at the expense of detail. The late 40's RCA sets were all split sound design which meant that the fine tuning was set for best sound, ignoring the picture. Hence a side-by-side close comparison will reveal the less expensive design of the 721.

But I would expect that most viewers would not be so critical and at about four feet from the face of the 10BP4 it would be hard to tell the difference in resolution. The DC component loss on the 721 is to me an issue however.

Last edited by Penthode; 12-19-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
I would be courious to know the difference, like a picture of 630 and another of the 730 with the same picture on it.. So I could tell the difference.. Does anyone have both sets that they could do that with.. Like a side by side comparison..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 12-20-2012, 02:02 PM
RCA 741PCS

I was just flipping through a 1948 issue of Tele-Tech and came across this ad for converting the 630 to a projection set.
I wonder how well they worked

Last edited by bandersen; 12-20-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not i was not expecting THAT, I am used to seeing the units converted with a Norelco ProTelGram unit, this is something quite different.

NEAT! Now to fins one of those units NOS

Matt
Audiokarma
Old 12-20-2012, 02:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Now it may be me, or my lack of proper perspective.. But, the Leads on the 0--30KV meter, look a little on the thin side.. Not anything I would want to handle, while measuring even 10KV.. Even though I wouldn't mind a schematic for making one.. I could find an old meter lying around and make something that would tell me close enough the voltage of my old set.. a meter of 0 to 15 would be all that I would need..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 12-20-2012, 08:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey. I just stopped by.

Nice find, Bob. Don't go too wild on that origional finish. You'd be surprised how much it can be reconstituted, but I know you know what yer doing.

So, how many TVs does that make, "Admiral" Bob?

Last edited by M3-SRT8; 12-20-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:44 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
Hey. I just stopped by.

Nice find, Bob. Don't go too wild on that origional finish. You'd be surprised how much it can be reconstsuted, but I know you know what yer doing.
Thanks. I'm using a technique I believe you used recently of filling in the voids with fresh lacquer and carefully sanding level. So far, so good

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
... So, how many TVs does that make, "Admiral" Bob?
Good question. It's been a while since I counted so I just did a quick count and came up with around 60 I say around because some are incomplete or damaged.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Good question. It's been a while since I counted so I just did a quick count and came up with around 60 I say around because some are incomplete or damaged.
You Vintage Maniac...
Old 12-30-2012, 02:22 PM
RCA 741PCS

I cleaned up the filthy cabinet with some GoJo and was surprised to see such a difference between the top cover and the rest.
It looks to me like the center cover is walnut while the rest is mahogany. Perhaps it's not the original top and came from a walnut 630TS ?

Old 12-30-2012, 04:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I this the sticker ? Sure, I could use a new one. PM sent.

The other labels on the back are in better shape.

I took a closer look at the Weller gun and discovered two in the box. The larger has some damage to the bakelite but the smaller WD-135 on top is in very good condition.
My cousin worked at the weller plant in Palmer township where they assembled these years ago, he still has a stash of them and spare parts.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I cleaned up the filthy cabinet with some GoJo and was surprised to see such a difference between the top cover and the rest.
It looks to me like the center cover is walnut while the rest is mahogany. Perhaps it's not the original top and came from a walnut 630TS ?
Oh yeah. It's very possible.

Who knows? Maybe they were swapped by accident in the back of a TV Repair Shop eons ago.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:11 PM
RCA 741PCS

Here's a shot of another mahogany 630TS and you can see it's lid is QC rather than face cut and the color matches the cabinet.

Since the lid for this set is already splotchy looking and the color is off I'm even more inclined to refinish it while leaving the rest of the cabinet original. Or perhaps someone out there has a spare mahogany 630TS lid or wants to trade

Last edited by bandersen; 12-31-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Bob,

I hate you! Just kidding, that sure looks terrific. Thanks for sharing your TV with us.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

The projection lens gimmick from the above ad is very similar to the "100 inch tv" ads that circulated at the end of the crt television era. You received a bare unhoused lens along with instructions to attach this "kit". You basically found a cardboard box that covered the entire face of your television, mounted the open top of the box to cover the screen, while maintaining a proper depth to the box so your crummy plastic lens would focus properly once mounted to the other end of the box. You then took the whole hideous mess to the far end of the room, turned it upside down, and you had a crude projector, making a blurry dim image on the opposite wall of the room. I imagine left and right would still be reversed.

I imagine the 630 lens would be much the same, though you would have to swap some yoke wires to deal with the lens inversion. You really don't want to try playing a 630 upside down.

Hey, you can make your own with the instructions here!

http://www.bigscreentv.20m.com/photo.html

edit: never mind, I just read the WHOLE ad, and see that you are converting a 630 to run on a 5tp4, rf hv supply, etc.
Audiokarma