Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just looked at the crt pic on the 2nd page. Sez Zenith, and looks like an FJP tube. I can see the lamination between the tube and the safety. Maybe being in the barn all these years saved it, in some strange and weird way.

Bruce
Old 06-09-2012, 06:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

oh its on now ,sounds like challenge to me gellis, ill have it looking and smelling like new before you know it.maybe you cant work well with wood and painting things but dont assume everone else can't either.if we all had your outlook there would be no restored car's either.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think you have a great project there. My RCA's that I got last April aren't near the challenge you have there but I say go for it. When it comes to life and you know your labors is what got it there you have something to be proud of. Best of luck to you and I hope to see some pics of it playing.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcollector View Post
I think he's more about enjoying what he is doing and there is NOT anything wrong with that, If he chooses to restore something that may not be worth anything to you, so be it.. Nothings worse then me picking up sets with my bad luck with bad crts, and on top of that, buying replacement from another collector which happened to arrive damaged, and this happened twice in a row, I spent over $400 so far on a Zenith roundie, which I'm still hoping I will get my money from the claim I submitted with Grey Hound.. I'm about ready to toss it, and now I know better to make sure the CRT is good in anything else I find or don't touch it with a 10ft pole..
Hear Hear!!!

I am well known for buying a set without checking the CRT. Actually, even if I knew the CRT was bad, I would buy it if the cosmetics were good and then buy stuff to fix it. I am very happy that this project is ongoing and am waiting to see how it goes...
Old 06-09-2012, 06:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvflyer View Post
Hear Hear!!!

I am well known for buying a set without checking the CRT. Actually, even if I knew the CRT was bad, I would buy it if the cosmetics were good and then buy stuff to fix it. I am very happy that this project is ongoing and am waiting to see how it goes...

My first (recent--in the last 10 years) restoration is a 1961 Magnavox 23" B/W home entertainment center. CRT was dead as a doornail. Got a newer good CRT from a member here, and wound up spending $150 on the other parts, and a couple of oddwad speakers for it. Now, it plays, the turntable runs, AM and FM (mono) works fine. Now, it sits here looking sad. I'm only using it to reinforce the stereo sound on my TV system. I could have done that without buying a $$$ 23MP4 CRT!!

This all said, I'm actively looking for a roundie home entertainment system to restore. Bad CRT? Dont care. I have 2 very good ones on hand.
Audiokarma
Old 06-09-2012, 07:11 PM
"Book em Dano!"

I drove all the way to Seattle from Boise to go to a Estate sale just to pick up a bunch of roundie sets. Between Damen and I, we picked up 6 or 7 sets and only 1 had a bad CRT but we also picked up 4 extra CRT's which only 1 was bad. We did not test any CRT's until we got to Portland. Just took a chance with them. Sometimes you get lucky. Sure it cost about $500 for the trip but it was well worth the effort. It's great practice for Snelson to restore such a set and if it gives him joy, so be it. I know it will turn out nice in the end.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

ok here's what i got done tonight ,i cut out the new bottom ,and had to keep reminding myself to cut the groove for the back to fit in. the groove was alittle tricky but turned out pretty good the fits in it nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inst bot 1.jpg (71.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg inst bot 2.jpg (74.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg inst bot 3.jpg (79.7 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by snelson903; 09-27-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

ok and here it is installed ,boy did it straightend out & mad it stronger too,when i was at lowes tonight i saw some real nice finishing wood [ not press chip board ] panels that can be sanded to a nice finish that i can stain , i looked at it last night and desided to replace all the veiner panels and just remake and stain it to look like it did 40 yrs ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inst bot 7.jpg (72.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg inst bot 8.jpg (68.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg inst bot 9.jpg (62.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg inst bot 10.jpg (68.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg inst bot 11.jpg (67.8 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by snelson903; 06-09-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gellis View Post
Come on guys, this set is a total POS...
Thank you Captain Sunshine for your usual encouragement.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Workin' Late Again

I'm very much enjoying the restoration pictures. I'm thoroughly impressed with your shop skills- you sure are making the most of the tools you have at hand.
Audiokarma
Old 06-09-2012, 11:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

thank you guys ,and for all the support. there's always someone ready to bad mouth what you are doing , but they never show there work if any.

Last edited by snelson903; 06-09-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:29 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

This set is nothing as far as restoration goes, did you see how trashed Bob's Hallcrafters CTC-4 was? Just because a set isn't necessarily 'worth' restoring doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, if for no other reason for the practice.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Are you sure that you don't work for a museum in the fabrication shop ?

Excellent work...
Old 06-10-2012, 06:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

thank's for the complement nope this happen's to be my first one , i have more metal reconstruction background fabricating rusted out steel parts, and mechine parts and heavy stick welding. its kinda always been a hobby,something like a modern black smith .iv always liked metal work ,i like saying if you cant buy build it. i have my own metal lathe and drill press and other equitment .i was suppost to inherit a bridgeport milling mechine but the will is still being fought over by his family ,they are trying to sell off everthing just for the money, so i just hope and wait that they onner his wishes. you see i was one of these weird kids growing up, that didnt play sports or do much of what kids my age were doing i would follow around guys that were always building or working on something thats what interested me.

Last edited by snelson903; 06-10-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:57 AM
60s Throwback

I can't wait to see the finished cabinet. I'm sure it's going to be beautiful!
Audiokarma