Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:28 PM
RCA 741PCS

GE 810 restoration

I took a break from antique radios for a while and popped open my GE 810. It's the set I picked up recently in Cincinnati, OH.

The cabinet is in decent shape. Just a few worn spot and a couple chips. Otherwise just needs some stripping and refinishing.

As usual, a couple knobs are missing too
Interesting channel lineup 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8-9, 10-11, 12-13.
I suppose you can tune in either station using the fine-tune at those higher frequencies.

So nice to have the original back with all the labels.

I popped the back off and tested the 10FP4 CRT - it's good!
I then cleaned up the chassis, popped out the 6BG6, and set the channel selector to 6. We have a low power analog station on channel 6 that plays light jazz and shows still images of the city.

I slowly powered it up with a variac.

All the tubes lit except for the 5U4. I replaced that and tried again and was treated to some nice smooth jazz

Finally, I popped the 6BG6 back in and got a picture of sorts The hor sync, vert sync, and vert height are all off. Not bad at all considering I haven't replaced a single component yet!

I record a 3 part youtube series on this set.
Skip to part 3 if you'd like to hear and see it play.

GE810 Vintage TV (Part 1 - First look inside)
GE810 Vintage TV (Part 2 - CRT testing)
GE810 Vintage TV (Part 3 - Does it work ?)

Last edited by bandersen; 12-24-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Bob Galanter

That is a sweet little set. With all that brass trim, it could look like a million bucks if you were to restore it to "like new" condition. If it was mine, I would take all the brass trim off and restore it bright and shiny like new, and do color fill in the embossed letters. Then refinsh the cabinet to "better than showroom" and that set would be just beautiful.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 12-25-2009, 01:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's a nice looking set. I'll be anxious to see how the cabinet turns out. I'm amazed that it works without re-capping.

John
Old 12-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Man, I wish you fellers lived closer ! I have a guy & his wife who restore furniture for a living, they could make that cabinet look like a million bux, guaranteed. And they DON'T charge the moon, either, nor do they take 3 months from next St. Swithin's day to get stuff done...They LOVE re-doing simple boxes like TVs & radios...
Old 12-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Damn does run fast…

Hey sandy - they any good at Jukebox cabinets? My dad's got a Wurlitzer 61 that's in need of serious help

Complication: We're in NY
Audiokarma
Old 12-25-2009, 05:32 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohyodafarted View Post
That is a sweet little set. With all that brass trim, it could look like a million bucks if you were to restore it to "like new" condition. If it was mine, I would take all the brass trim off and restore it bright and shiny like new, and do color fill in the embossed letters. Then refinsh the cabinet to "better than showroom" and that set would be just beautiful.
Good ideas. The brass seems to be two-tone with some areas brown. Like the inner side of the screen bezel and the top portion of the control area. Probably paint.

I think I'll strip all the metal down, polish it up, mask off and paint those areas. Then color fill as suggested.

Last edited by bandersen; 12-25-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:35 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyurkon View Post
That's a nice looking set. I'll be anxious to see how the cabinet turns out. I'm amazed that it works without re-capping.

John
So am I! This set is really well made with some interesting twists. Like supplying one leg of a 12AT7 filament with DC from a little selenium rectifier. Maybe for better oscillator stability

I wish I had a dozen 10FP4s for all my other 10" sets
Old 12-25-2009, 09:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice project. It's good that it's "working" and a recap should be 95% of the resto, as far as the chassis is concerned.

I saw, and liked, your Video Series on powering up the Set. Looking forward to more...

Last edited by M3-SRT8; 12-25-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

GE knobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
Nice project. It's good that it's "working" and a recap should be 95% of the resto, as far as the chassis is concerned.

I saw, and liked, your Video Series on powering up the Set. Looking forward to more...
I may have those two knobs, I will look saturday for you. If I have them there yours.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I picked up one of these but in much worse condition than this one. Very ratty, but could be brought back. I can tell that it would look great restored. My crt is pretty weak, too. So, I may just part it out...not sure yet. Now, this one, it looks to be an easy restoration!
Old 12-26-2009, 06:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Smile

That is a nice set. I have one, but it developed a problem with the early sychroguide oscillator, and I put it on a shelf, and there it sits awaiting my attention. The 10FP4 has a nice black and white color, not as blueish as 10BP4.
I restored it in the early 70's, and the chassis and cabinet need work. Just don't have time right now....
Good luck with your 810! They do perform well when they are working properly.
Kevin
Old 12-26-2009, 08:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Bryan
I've got one that is in good shape but is missing the round GE logo. If you part your set out I'd like to get that part.
Tnx
Terry
Old 12-26-2009, 08:33 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post

Thanks! I think I'm slowly getting better at recording videos. I'm going to pickup a tripod so I can record more easily while working on sets.
It's tough to do it one handed
Old 12-26-2009, 11:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Lucky dog! You've got most of the knobs and the back panel as well. I had to "fly blind" with mine, and make a guess as to what missing tubes to be replaced with what and where. I got my 810 working to an extent after subbing in electrolytics and R&R-ing obvious leaky bypass and blocking caps. But with no tube chart (musta been on the inside of the missing back panel), and no schematic, it made the work kinda interesting at best.

Good luck with your project.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:45 PM
RCA 741PCS

Thanks. Luckily I have this model in both a 1949 Beitman TV Servicing guide and a GE 1947-1951 Wallace Telaide