Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:29 PM
AK Member

What Model Zenith?

Hi Folks,
I'm usually a reader (sounds better than lurker) on the antique radio or transistor boards, but I started coming here awhile ago, and am impressed by the activity here. I never really thought about the interest in preserving early color tv technology. It's nice to see our engineering and manufacturing heritage acknowledged, and recognized for what once was. Anyway, I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer, and possibly even find a photo. Around 1964, we got our first color set. It was a Zenith roundie in a wood cabinet, and as I recall, it had a backlit channel selector, and directly below the channel selector were two thumbwheels- color and tint? I remember we kids were forbidden to ever touch those controls! Some of my favorite evenings were spent when our repairman came to attend the set- He always had a great store of WWII stories (my dad never told any of his) and best of all, I got to see inside the set! Thanks for your help!

Chief
Old 07-07-2009, 10:47 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

The two thumbwheels for color and tint sound like an RCA CTC-16. Are you sure it was a Zenith? All Zeniths that I can think of, have the color controls behind a door at the bottom right of the TV, at least all the roundies. In the early 70s, Zenith had thumbwheels for volume, color, and tint on the right edge of the panel next to the channel knobs, but those were 25" all-transistor rectangular tube sets.

Charles
Old 07-07-2009, 11:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

The later Zenith roundies (1967 and maybe 1966) had the color and hue controls beneath the UHF knob which was beneath the VHF knob.

Steve
Old 07-07-2009, 11:36 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
The later Zenith roundies (1967 and maybe 1966) had the color and hue controls beneath the UHF knob which was beneath the VHF knob.

Steve
True, but not thumb wheels if I recall...

Charles
Old 07-07-2009, 05:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is the only Zenith I can think of that has the type of controls you're talking about, but as mentioned, not thumbwheels. This one is a '66 model.

Audiokarma
Old 07-07-2009, 09:45 PM
AK Member

That's pretty close. I remember the Zenith logo on the masonite back, and I think the thumbwheels protruded below a panel, about where those controls are. I'll have to look thru mom and dad's photo archive and see if I can find a photo. Maybe I'll even find a pic of the 50's bw tha preceeded it. Thanks.

Chief
Old 07-08-2009, 01:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I saw a sylvania color once, that had 3 thumbwheel controls. it had a backlit channel indicator that was arranged like a radio scale
Old 07-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Zenith had a set with this control arrangement in 1966. My grandmother owned one, beautiful set and she bought it new then. Me and my brother loved it. We kept it till 1972. It sustained a direct lightning hit. Our first color set growing up. We got another one like it secondhand and used it till the CRT went dim. Ingjerd and I own a pristine example and use it with a converter box in our bedroom. Ours was a low hours original impeccably maintained and used until 2004 as a guest room set. Bought new in Knoxville, TN at G&C TV (still in business). Our neighbor gave it to us after he tired of it.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:41 PM
AK Member

Sounds like you have a nice set there! It could have been '66. I remember my dad considering other sets (even tho we were a Zenith family). What made him decide on the roundie was our dealer- repairman. He told my dad that the round crt's were easier to replace than the rectangular crt's. That was during the era when you always planned on repairs rather than replace!