Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Smile What's the longest distance you've been able to pull in a station?

Let's see who has been able to pull in the furthest station "radio only," without the help of an external antenna or signal amplifier. I was able to get a Minneapolis AM station from about 1600 miles away one night around 2 am on my (now gone to another owner) '56 Philips table radio. How about you?
Old 03-17-2007, 01:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

One time late at night I pulled in an Albequerque station (about 1000mi away from here) on my 1948 Stromberg Carlson console.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:08 AM
electronics packrat

Every now and then, I pick up Albuquerque and Denver on my little 1955 Motorola table radio.

Dumont-First with the finest in television
Old 03-17-2007, 05:31 AM
I need that radio

a little help from uncle sam

Sidi Yahia Morocco, pulled in WLS, Chicago, WGY Schenectady, and WNEW NY,
R-390a, (1968-69)
Old 03-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Instantly addicted

Well not sure how to handle this question my 1936 Silvertone has no internal antenna having been designed to work with a long wire. I have pulled Austrailia Japan, South Africa, Russian, And the BBC with it from Silverton Oregon on a 75' long wire.

My Heathkit Mohican has pulled in South Africa on it's built in antenna. But that was some time I ago.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Peanut Head

Omaha, Nebraska on my GE Superadio III (no external antenna). Shortwave...the Hammurlund and old Sony portable pick up stations from Russia, France, Africa, etc. with ease.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Shaken, not stirred

Most any night I can get AM stations from Oklahoma City and the occasional Texas signal pretty easily with my GE Superadio using just the built in extend-o-tenna. Lots of stuff from the Bay Area too (1000 mi).

My best signal-pulling tubie is a Zenith H 845; good enough to pull in FM stations from 200 miles away and clear AM signals from L.A. I have an outside wire-set up done, using my house's old TV pole and spread to the peaks on my roof. I haven't hooked anything to it yet tho-

My brother uses a Zenith T/O 1000-1 and tells me he gets signals from some pretty crazy distances. I've just *got* to get me one of those! But one of the later ones, with FM.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pulled in a Chicago AM station in Juneau, AK on a cheap Aiwa mini-boombox. Oddly, I couldn't get it on my home systems.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Once got a Jesuscaster from Iowa on 1530 (IIRC) here in New Jersey. Another time, picked up a station near St Louis, broadcasting a local college basketball game.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

On my "civilian stuff", I guess the most impressive was WLAC one nite on my 1938 2-tube Arvin set..On my "military" stuff, I think I've picked up carriers from Europe a few times in the dead of winter on the R-389....pretty good for MW stuff..
Old 03-18-2007, 10:57 AM
sleddogman

While station hopping one evening, I paused and briefly heard "All Your Base Are Belong To Us" but I'd be hard pressed to say exactly where it was originating from...
Old 03-18-2007, 02:18 PM
<----Zenith C845

AM DX in northern Ohio

One Sunday morning about 25 years or so ago, when I lived in a suburb of Cleveland, I heard KOA-AM, 850 kHz, from Denver, on my Zenith Allegro stereo system. Cleveland has a station on 850, but it was off the air for technical maintenance at the time. Haven't heard the Colorado station, or anything much west of Chicago except WBAP 820 in Dallas, Texas, since then. I usually hear stations in New York, Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, Richmond, Virginia and Pittsburgh, not to mention WLW in Cincinnati, several smaller Ohio stations, New York City, Buffalo and Schenectady (WGY Schenectady booms in here at night), and several 50kW Canadian stations, such as AM 740 in Toronto and CKLW in Windsor, after dark from my present location. I guess it's because Ohio is the easternmost state of the Midwest that I cannot hear most of the region's other big stations (I have yet to hear any stations from Missouri except St. Louis, the Dakotas, Illinois except Chicago, Indiana except Fort Wayne, etc). The Southwest? From here, no. I have yet to hear stations from Wyoming, Utah, Arizona and so on (even the big 50kW giants), although I don't use anything fancy for an antenna on my radios either (just the built-in ones); living in an apartment building means putting up a long wire antenna is out of the question. Another reason I don't hear most of the Midwest's/Southwest's 50kW AMs may be that, after the FCC did away with clear channels about 20 years ago, all the smaller stations on those frequencies (most of them licensed for daytime-only operation), not to mention the big stations now having to restrict their night antenna patterns and/or reduce their power output from 50kW to 10kW or less, now means most if not all of those big former 50kW "giants" aren't so "big" anymore. Cincinnati's WLW, for example, calls itself "The Big One", but since 700 kHz is no longer a clear channel, I doubt if that slogan means much anymore. Oh well; I'm sure many of those 50kW former clear-channel bruisers are now saying "it was fun while it lasted."

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

How many of you are able to pull in AM 780 WBBM from chicago? I went on a trip to florida back in 2000 I brought my TO royal 3000 with me (before 911, they aloud me to bring my TO onto the plane as a carry on) I picked up the station excellent in Naples. Ive heard its an "easy to dx" station. Just curious. WBBM is a 50KW station broadcast from the Sears Tower.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Peanut Head

WBBM is fairly easy to get in NE Arkansas.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:09 PM
tube gear fanatic

i can get wbbm on a regular basis up here in the great white north.(winnipeg, manitoba)

real radios glow in the dark...
Audiokarma