Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

'08 RCA ATC116 TV/DVD combo

This is yet another example of the Chinese junk brand that RCA has become.

This is a 20" TruJunk RCA TV/DVD combo that is dead and it belongs to my neighbor.

So far, I'm having zero luck with finding any service information on this set. Obviously, it's another one of those sets where they intend for you to get 2-3 years out of it and toss it when it breaks.

This set is dead; but, the main switching supply is working. However, the 5V line is missing and there is another 12V line that reads about 6.5 volts (both of these voltage points are located at one of the plugs that goes to the DVD unit and the 5V line also goes over to the seperate DTV board. The 5 volts comes out of a 4-pin PQ05RD21 voltage regulator. When I measure between the output and ground pins of this regulator, I get around 4.5 Kohms; so, I'm thinking this part may be bad.

My neighbor said that she started to toss this set (probably a good idea), until she found out that she could no longer buy a new CRT set. This set belongs to her young children and said she couldn't see spending the money on a flatscreen that could be easily torn up.

Knowing how unreliable these later RCA's are, I should advise her to toss this one and try to find an older, more reliable set.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

It shouldn't be hard to find a second-hand BPC 19" for a few bucks.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, had she called me two weeks ago, I could have fixed her up because I had 4 or 5 of them. Then, I advertised them for $25/each and, believe it or not, someone bought them. Anyway, I just finished putting hers back together so that we can either put it on her garbage pile or my garbage pile.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

My local thrift stores are full of CRT TV's in all sizes, $15-$25 or not much more for sets that work fine.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

yup just like i said in another post that all this china junk is made to be thrown out in what appears to be a specified time frame , and they get that right but what they dont get right is to build a set that lasts like the older american sets but although they probably can very well make a good long lasting quality set. i dont remember if it was RCA or ZENITH that had the logo,THE QUALITY GOES IN BEFOR THE NAME GOES ON, remember, thats when stuff was good.
Audiokarma
Old 02-16-2011, 12:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

That phrase was used by Zenith.