Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Adjusting the controls kinda helped, but the colorful static is probably because of the really bad convergence (I struggled real bad setting this set and have certainly bumped the rings around the CRT a time or two).

Here is the best picture I could get of the set when hooked up to a Sencore VA62. The Sencore has proven to be an unreliable unit with a ton of problems so the patterns it puts out flash and are warped. I will have to pull out a Sencore VA48 or Heathkit IG-28 after some cleaning.

Hopefully this thing doesn't blow up..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-5757.jpg (54.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-08-2018, 12:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Right now the set is running full voltage and the convergence seems as good as I can get it (right top of screen seems off but we have that issue with every tv).

The color static is still there, and I think I hear a low pitch rumble which doesn't sound all that great. Tomorrow I might have time to hook it up to an old Nintendo to see how it works with an actual input.

The main issue is trusting the unit. I had the same issue when working on audio and never trusting a unit after a repair to the extent where I hoard repaired gear that came in super blown up. Though this set will never change ownership it would be nice to have a way to trust a repaired unit more..
Old 08-08-2018, 03:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Slight issue, but now the picture is distorted. I used 2 of the same system and have had no luck changing this. Ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sony.jpg (42.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-08-2018, 03:46 PM
M is for Memory

That horizontal shift in the orange does it also move up or down on the screen slowly (like top to bottom in around 11 sec)? If it rolls vertically that means 60Hz from the power input is making it into places in the set it should not be. Could be in the signal (using a different signal device should show that), or could be bad filter caps in the TV.

If it does not roll does it clear up if brightness and color level are reduced to a minimum for a noticeable image on the screen? Does it go away if fine tuning on set is adjusted or signal reduced (could be signal overloading).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-08-2018, 04:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

It does not roll up or down at all, but it does kinda shake back and forth a little. The odd thing is that it didn't do this with the signal generator, or if it did I didn't notice it. This set has always worked with this nintendo.

Adjusting those controls did nothing. Fine tuning changes the picture just a tiny bit. When it fades out to black and white the problem is just a hair less severe.

I'm going to try the horizontal hold controls but I don't think that'll fix an issue that is only on half of the screen.

EDIT: nothing has made this problem better.

Last edited by Sealtest; 08-08-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 08-08-2018, 08:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

With normal gameplay the problem is gone, so I have no idea what the issue is.

But now to yet another issue with this set. There is a ton of static in the picture and I can't get the blacks black. Any black stays a shade of grey. The higher I crank the tv up on the variac the worse this gets. Also when watching regular TV there is a hum that can be heard with every scene change.

It seems like this is a never ending project.

Edit: the hum went away??? no idea what the deal was. Blacks seem good now, but the static is awful. I've been resoldering connections and looking in a few manuals I have labeled as " TV case histories by Michael B. Danish". They're great guides but only if the set you have is listed, and so far that hasn't been the case. They have helped answer some questions here and there though.

Last edited by Sealtest; 08-09-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Okay guys, I think I got it. I re-soldered the IC chip in the IF section and the set seems to be acting fine with an original nintendo. Also one of the controls in the "dad panel" had a leg that was poorly soldered from the factory. I filled it in more properly but am unsure if that was the issue.

Looking through casefiles of snowy picture in Sony sets, almost every single one had bad solder joints on the IC chip in the IF section. The only ones that didnt had an issue in the tuner, but the tuner drifted.