Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:51 PM
Vintage Junkie

Exclamation Question on 1982 RCA Selectavison VGT-650

Hello, fellow Videokarma members!

Need a little help here from those with some experience...

I have a 1982 RCA Selectavision VGT-650 VCR. I got it for free and decided to see if I could fix some issues with it, mostly cosmetic. The first thing I noticed is that some of the channel scanning dip switches were broken, there basically a little switch that slides into three positions. When I took it apart, to see if I could fix them, i noticed that someone had de-soldered some of them before at one point probably because they were broken too, and put a small piece of wire as a replacement? I wonder why they did this? instead of replacing the switch instead. I'm wondering by chance if anyone might have a spare board kicking around or perhaps the switches? I've included photos to show what I need.

[Figured I tact this on here, instead of making a new post.]

As you know these old VCR's have the infamous VFD Display that of course can become dimmer over time, on these VCR's you have a DIM/BRIGHTNESS Switch. I noticed on the clock display on mine that it seems to pulsating? I'm wonder if it is the result of a bad capacitor and is causing it to pulsate because it's not getting the right voltage?

I made a YouTube video to demonstrating the problem -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S5mE8mjXQc

Last edited by VintageLove; 08-12-2014 at 09:27 PM. Reason: New Question.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:57 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Used to keep those band switches in stock, and replaced a bunch of those, back in the '80s. Easy to break. Someone probably jumpered the broken switch positions to make it work. You'll probably have to salvage some replacements from another unit. I think that's the same machine I had as Panason1c model, a PV-1780. Linear stereo only with Dolby noise reduction, no stereo tuner. NTSC stereo TV hadn't come out yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pana-pv1780vcr.ad.jpg (102.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 08-11-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:09 PM
The glass is -3dB.

Heh, looking at your attachment I can't help laughing at "LED Clock" bit. Obviously a VFD unit.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Ha! Yes it was definitely a vacuum clock display. The channel indicator lights were LEDs.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Kinda funny how they touted this VCR not going obsolete any time soon in that ad, then VHS Hi-Fi came out about a year or two later, with MTS stereo TV in about 2 years too.
Audiokarma