Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

panasonic travel tv 1 inch screen

does anyone know these little bw tv sets? just got one and appears it dont have horiz nor does it have crt heater. the hv it has but its 2kv so i dont know what it should be but it has that much. with the other little sets it was the horiz hold pot but not this one and im not sure where it gets the heater voltage from, im guessing from the flyback. if anyone knows these give me a shout.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

What is the model number?
Old 11-08-2012, 06:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

tr-1010p panasonic
Old 11-08-2012, 07:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK - now I know what to tell you. This is the worst model of the Travelvision line - it is going to need a complete recap of all the electrolytic capacitors. You also need to see how bad they leaked, and how much damage has been done to the very fragile traces on the circuit boards. Also, the ribbon cable portion of the circuit boards are very fragile, and tear very easily.

Good luck!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtfool View Post
OK - now I know what to tell you. This is the worst model of the Travelvision line - it is going to need a complete recap of all the electrolytic capacitors. You also need to see how bad they leaked, and how much damage has been done to the very fragile traces on the circuit boards. Also, the ribbon cable portion of the circuit boards are very fragile, and tear very easily.

Good luck!
ok i found out about the ribbon but ill fix that but the caps are the culprit? some of the cap leads have some green on them like it was stored in a damp place. caps will cure this junk because it dont have the crt heater as well.
Audiokarma
Old 11-08-2012, 07:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

are there any issues with any of the ICS that you know of ?
Old 11-08-2012, 07:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Why dont you run over that with the lawnmower and ill send you a watchman. I have a few floating around here somewhere with spots teams logos printed on them.
What am I ever going to do with all this junk!
You can get a BT modulator going on a good homemade antenna and take the micro tv outside when you have your ciggyclogger.

I get 500' of coverage easy with my modulator and antenna on a watchman.
Spiteful Old Cuss

Anybody know if the color version, CT-101, had similar problems ? For it to be a "Flagship" type of product, they sure were cussedly "Cheap"...You'd THINK they woulda spent more than 15 cents on the cabinet...Seems like I spent $350 in '84 on mine...Had the local hdware store order it up special...Got LOTS of Fisheyes, too..."You want THAT ?!?..For the same money, I can get you a 27" REAL TV.."
VideoKarma Member

The IC chips generally do not fail, but they could be damaged from leaking electrolyte from the caps - if they are not corroded, then they should be OK. Green corrosion on the capacitor leads is 1 sign that the caps are defective. A complete recap should bring the TV back to life, if all the circuit board traces are not compromised - if they are, then they need to be repaired. An ESR meter would be very helpful if you do not intend to replace any capacitor that does not look physically damaged - they most likely will be electrically damaged.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Anybody know if the color version, CT-101, had similar problems ? For it to be a "Flagship" type of product, they sure were cussedly "Cheap"...You'd THINK they woulda spent more than 15 cents on the cabinet...Seems like I spent $350 in '84 on mine...Had the local hdware store order it up special...Got LOTS of Fisheyes, too..."You want THAT ?!?..For the same money, I can get you a 27" REAL TV.."
Sandy - the CT-101 is very electronically sound. The plastic cabinet is it's worst enemy, as well as people leaving batteries inside to corrode, out-gas, and leak.
Audiokarma
Old 11-08-2012, 08:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
Why dont you run over that with the lawnmower and ill send you a watchman. I have a few floating around here somewhere with spots teams logos printed on them.
What am I ever going to do with all this junk!
You can get a BT modulator going on a good homemade antenna and take the micro tv outside when you have your ciggyclogger.

I get 500' of coverage easy with my modulator and antenna on a watchman.
ctc17 - I like junk, you have anything that I might be interested in the way of these small CRT or LCD TV sets? What model Watchman TVs do you have?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Sandy - the CT-101 is very electronically sound. The plastic cabinet is it's worst enemy, as well as people leaving batteries inside to corrode, out-gas, and leak.
Kewl ! Don't think I've EVER left the batteries in mine more than a night or 2...It sure was a HANDY little trick to set yr Camcorder up with...No more purple or green faces...And it AMAZED people, too...I have a candid shot of a buddy of mine holding & watching it, he has this look of utter amazement on his face..
Old 11-08-2012, 08:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
ctc17 - I like junk, you have anything that I might be interested in the way of these small CRT or LCD TV sets? What model Watchman TVs do you have?
Someone at the swap meet had a big box of them, I felt sorry for them and got the whole box. Its around here somewhere, I have no idea where.

The small stuff just isnt real practical sense the analog shutdown. Ohh and my eyes suck so that really makes them pointless.

Ill look around here when I get some time and Ill give timmy first shot sense he seems to like tvs that require B&D to get working.

I do like and have several restored 60s vintage small metal sony sets. Those are super cool.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

ctc17 - Thanks. Of course Timmy should have first choice.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:46 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Yup...the 1010 is deffinately gonna be a project.

I have two of those now...."in a basket". I ended up tearing the flexi circuit and had to mess with the connections on both sides of that small rigid ribbon cable. I'd had the original set since new, and had nursed it back once from a loss of vertical. Now it's just a basket case since it lost all signs of having a tuner one day and I was only making it WORSE getting into it. I have it and a "parts set" that showed up doing NOTHING...both in a little Kleenex box coffin.

Decided to just pay attention to keeping the 1020,1030 and CT101 up and running.

The 101 DOES have a terribly creaky case...and always appears to just not be right, but that set has not ever given me drama.