Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
As it is, I did help unload Bob Dobush's truck when he brought in all of Jim Cozart's stuff, so I can appreciate the effort involved in moving everything. Especially the projection sets and DuMonts. I would jump at the chance to come down early next year and move stuff.
I think I moved every set in the whole museum *but* those. I think I was running around doing something with the media for the presentations when those were being offloaded.

Funny thing....when I was loading my own stuff everyone seemed to scatter. Not on purpose I'm sure. The only person who came over and offered a hand was Julian Burke. Spent quite a bit of time with him at the convention and I'm glad I did......he's a hell of a nice guy
Old 05-08-2018, 01:35 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
I think I moved every set in the whole museum *but* those. I think I was running around doing something with the media for the presentations when those were being offloaded.

Funny thing....when I was loading my own stuff everyone seemed to scatter. Not on purpose I'm sure. The only person who came over and offered a hand was Julian Burke. Spent quite a bit of time with him at the convention and I'm glad I did......he's a hell of a nice guy
Tim, those were unloaded about a month ago when Nick picked up the rebuilding equipment he had purchased. It was Bob, Nick, my father, and I that unloaded that truck.

Anyway, I regret even mentioning anything. It was just a relatively simple suggestion, with absolutely no cost to implement, that could hypothetically net more for the museum, and worst case cause no harm. I believe I've presented ample evidence to that effect.

In the future I'll keep my mouth shut.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Photos are up. https://www.flickr.com/photos/jsw681...57666687171147
Old 05-08-2018, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
Tim, those were unloaded about a month ago when Nick picked up the rebuilding equipment he had purchased. It was Bob, Nick, my father, and I that unloaded that truck.
Ahhh...I thought you meant the Dave May stuff. My bad.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
That's the problem.....unless some benefactors come in and dump a load of cash, that sort of thing can't happen. It's difficult enough raising funds to pave the parking lot.
Understood. I've worked with a couple organizations with small budgets.
What could help is 'renting' space (by the pallet?) for storage of individual's goodies (that are in the scope of ETF). Granted, not everyone lives close enough for that to be worthwhile, but it may also spur more visits to the museum.
Audiokarma
Old 05-08-2018, 03:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
I learned about the ETF through my friend Jerome in 2010. I’m in the Phoenix area and getting up there in age. I get severe pains in my chest from being doubled up in the cramped airline seats, so I don’t go to the convention. I’ve watched the stream every year and have a few suggestions about the auction.

1. Get a wi-fi extender to improve the signal. They are cheap. Lots of buffering and drop outs.

2. Definitely agree that everyone should be seated once the auction starts. It seems that most folks have ample time to inspect the sets they are interested in prior to auction start. Standing up and following the auctioneer blocks the view for everybody.

3. The camera operator should be able to pan, scan and zoom without obstruction.

Reading the “behind the scenes” preparation on this thread was informative and sounds like controlled chaos. I saw the auctioneer was rushed to maintain the timeline of the Saturday schedule with so many items to be auctioned off.

I think everyone did a great job this year as always. Remember it’s all volunteer work.

I’m so sorry I can’t be there, maybe one year I will. I do what I can in my own way to help the museum and our hobby.

Last edited by etype2; 05-08-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:34 PM
M is for Memory

Good news and more towards the original topic. The green gun was FAR from dead, but WAS deep asleep and tested very weak initially. The green gun has woken up to be the strongest so far centered in the good range. Red is close to green. Blue is at the lower end of good. Edit: Blue woke up more.

This is shaping up to be a good 15GP22 CRT!

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 05-08-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Your deal sounds even sweeter! Lets hope it stays alive.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:45 PM
M is for Memory

Here are my buys L-R T-B : Motorola mask+knobs (better ones than on my set), Silvertone roundy, Alignment sweep gen, Duo-view projector NIB, Zenith porthole, 23" Zenith table set, 21FBP22, CT-100, Dumont color monitor, and the corner of Project 'M' (which will remain secret till the time is right).

The CT-100 has sound and video, but the video is weird. Luminance if present appears negative, contrast can extinguish the raster but not affect it much otherwise, if the color is turned to minimum raster extinguishes...Based on that I think the luminance stages are not operating. Cabinet and screen pictures are from before I woke the sleeping CRT.
I built a working video injection amplifier for my 21CT55; if time allows I hope to connect it to the CT-100 tonight to better diagnose the video stages. With luck, I'll be "off to see the wizard".

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-08-2018, 06:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Good news and more towards the original topic. The green gun was FAR from dead, but WAS deep asleep and tested very weak initially. The green gun has woken up to be the strongest so far centered in the good range. Red is close to green. Blue is at the lower end of good. Edit: Blue woke up more.

This is shaping up to be a good 15GP22 CRT!
Such luck!

Go buy Powerball tickets...

Audiokarma
Old 05-08-2018, 11:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

What a great score. I'm sure you'll do a thorough & careful job of restoring that CT-100.

I'm curious about that DuMont monitor, too. Perhaps you can post some photos & details when you get around to that project.

Have fun!

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 05-09-2018, 07:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

What we all want to see, or at least I want to see, before I start crying
in my coffee for not bidding, is a raster only, two guns cut off, that has
good purity. I have a theory that might make it possible.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

50's Admiral color ($1000) very desirable, rare.
Wonder why blonde ctc-5 went for less than blonde 12" GE B&W?
- Got excited, thought I had one, but it was a blonde Hallicrafters 12" (pic)
Good to see 50's limed oak item prices on the rise!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (81.1 KB, 61 views)
Old 05-10-2018, 07:08 PM
Administrator

The blonde 5 had an FJP conversion....I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not going on it
Old 05-11-2018, 12:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
The blonde 5 had an FJP conversion....
That would be a sweet TV.

I'll have to settle for adding the Hallicrafters 12 to my mid-50's blonde room, where 'time-stands-still' (pic)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (56.4 KB, 74 views)
Audiokarma