Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Magnavox Magna-Color...

So this had all its cords ripped out and was just seconds away from being tossed into the dumpster. When the lady told them don't lets put it on the floor....got it for 19.99$ she was ecstatic that I bought it

I can find nothing on this set, I see the earlier roundies and I see a few sets like mine but nothing identical, can't find any schematics, manuals, ads...notta...

So don't be scared, it is french Provencal. Yes not my favorite style....but you gotta admit it grows on you, if it was a 8foot console...in this style...nope...no way!!

I really don't want to power it on till I buy another variaic(had house fire, lost everything )but I do have a tube tester. The lady said, that another person did turn it on..I was like ekkk...

Might pop it open here in a minute and do a visual...

So thought? Worthy of a project? Hide it in a deep dark corner of the crawl space? :P

Old 10-09-2014, 08:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

pretty sure its this chassis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTnhM...CVtyRrqXVtll-g

nice all tube should be easy to get going. when you said all the cords ripped out I presume you just mean the power cord, not the yoke or CRT connections.

a Good start is to check the condition of the CRT before investing a lot of time and money.

Last edited by DaveWM; 10-09-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:22 PM
sampson159

late 60s model.decent sets with very ornate cabinetry.produce nice pictures when right
Old 10-09-2014, 08:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well opened it up, it is cleaner then I expected. Didn't see any visually bad tubes.

That does look like the chassis! Looks like some repair man or last owner maybe? ripped the tube chart off the side of the cabinet and the chassis number tag!! Least they left the model tag.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

looks like an instant on power trans on top of the regular trans. Hope the CRT is ok. The one in the set from the video tested like new, but I don't recall if it had the instant on.
Audiokarma
Old 10-09-2014, 09:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

eeppp I hope it is, looks like first order is to find a crt tester....I hope its good, I would like to see it run again and play some original Nintendo on it
Old 10-09-2014, 09:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

fairly certain that set is the big brother to a magna color table top set i have
there are pics here ... if father time hasn't erased them
Old 10-09-2014, 09:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

That is all of the model tag. The chassis number is on a tag usually on the rear of the chassis. It will begin with T-XXX
Old 10-09-2014, 09:26 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

I had a very kind great Aunt/Uncle who had that kind of furniture (and the same TV). I am sad when people say hurtful things those who chose this kind of furniture (although I know that hasn't been done here...yet). Personally I think it's pretty cool. Obviously of another era, but aint that the point?

Good luck fixing it.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

there is a good chance it will work just fine as is (most likely the only issue will be dirty pots). that era had pretty good caps in it, including the cans.

If it was mine I would pull the horz out and the vert out tubes, variac it slowly monitor the B+ to see if it comes up, and check to see if the cans get warm, I generally do this over a period of time (hours) to give the cans a chance to reform.

Stop at about 80vac input, there is no load on the B+ with the sweep tubes out.

Pulling the tubes mentioned is done since they are osc tubes and may not like the low power. If all goes well I put the tubes back in, hook up a current meter to the horz out cathode, and a HV prob to the anode and do a full power start, keeping an eye on both the horz out current and the HV. Look for horz current to be around 200ma and the HV not to go over 25kv. If either go too high I shut down and look for problems before trying again.

often wiggling tubes will correct problems, so that should be tried 1st depending on the faults that show up (in case the above startup does not result in a working set). beyond that you have to apply regular diagnosis skills.

Last edited by DaveWM; 10-09-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 10-09-2014, 11:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
That is all of the model tag. The chassis number is on a tag usually on the rear of the chassis. It will begin with T-XXX
I'll take a look again, but it looked like it was a two part tag and only the words chassis # is left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
there is a good chance it will work just fine as is (most likely the only issue will be dirty pots). that era had pretty good caps in it, including the cans.

If it was mine I would pull the horz out and the vert out tubes, variac it slowly monitor the B+ to see if it comes up, and check to see if the cans get warm, I generally do this over a period of time (hours) to give the cans a chance to reform.

Stop at about 80vac input, there is no load on the B+ with the sweep tubes out.

Pulling the tubes mentioned is done since they are osc tubes and may not like the low power. If all goes well I put the tubes back in, hook up a current meter to the horz out cathode, and a HV prob to the anode and do a full power start, keeping an eye on both the horz out current and the HV. Look for horz current to be around 200ma and the HV not to go over 25kv. If either go too high I shut down and look for problems before trying again.

often wiggling tubes will correct problems, so that should be tried 1st depending on the faults that show up (in case the above startup does not result in a working set). beyond that you have to apply regular diagnosis skills.
Thanks for that! It would be nice if it just powered up with out any issues, not really normal for me :P Its a good thing I bought a huge can of dexoit....so many post and connectors on this thing.

If anyone could supply a sams for it, that would be awesome, I have lightly dabbled in tvs...and never found it really exciting...so it would nice to have some sort of guide on where to probe and the values. This thing looks to have a lot going on inside..
Old 10-12-2014, 11:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Maggy was notorious for using different chassis in the same
model so you gotta watch it ordering manuals. We only
used chassis #'s, the model is only safe for cabinet parts.
Tag is small maybe 1" by 1/2" usually green or white.
usually right on back of chassis but can be found other places
so look everywhere. If you dont find it & need a manual post
some chassis pictures & tube line-up & prob can find one
very close...

73 Zeno
Old 10-12-2014, 01:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is identical (99%) to my Magnavox U-911 chassis from '67 which was lost in hurricane Sandy. It makes a great pic. Be sure to 'dip' the cathode current on the 6JE6
Old 10-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Not sure how I got here.

I think its a nice looking set, and I like the cabinet a lot. It's got character.....

I sure would like to see pictures of it once you are done with it.....

Did it come with a back....? 23" tube right.... What number...?

Last edited by Username1; 10-12-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I will go try and do a 360 on the chassis and see if I can find the number somewhere else besides the tag.

Sorry you lost yours in Sandy, I lost my entire collection in a fire...
Audiokarma