Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

i'm located in NJ.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

blank

Last edited by site123a; 11-18-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

i know i don't. never replaced parts before. i did call a tech i usually deal with in my area cause he's only one i know who fixes up old vintage amps and been doing it for over 40 years. when i talked to him over the phone he told me monitors are pretty complex compared to tv's and if it's anything big it'll gonna cost around same price you be able to find a 24'' lcd monitor on the market today but i'm fine with that if it can in fact be fixed.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Not sure how I got here.

where in nj? Zip code? Its good its dead, dead is easier to fix than on standby with no diagnostic help. Now for sure (almost) its in the power supply main, or stand by. and 100% its not the picture tube.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well it's very good to hear it's not the tube itself. that's all i was worried about. i'm in NJ,Riverside,08075.
Audiokarma
Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Not sure how I got here.

-o- yer a good distance from me.....
Old 09-14-2011, 03:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

yea it is. sorry about that. i do appreciate you and everyone here helping me out informing me on my problem. i greatly appreciate it. now just need to figure out how i'm gonna bring this behemoth to the shop without breaking it. it has a crack stand already so i want to be careful. i was actually thinking of dragging a roller chair with me up there and rolling it in the shop lol since it'll be a pain with me carrying it through the door since i do have pretty wide shoulders.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Not sure how I got here.

well, you do have to be careful about shock you may give to the set. By shock I mean sharp bang, vibration, etc. Putting it in a chair and rolling it in the street, sidewalk, will bounce it sharply, and possibly move the focusing magnets on the neck of the tube. A lot of tv's & monitors used pretty crappy glue to hold these items in place once adjusted at the factory. you can easily add to the amount of work needed to get it working again if you are harsh in transport to get it repaired, so be gentle. You can carry it sideways, that would make it taller, not as wide. Just keep the bouncing to a minimum. Take your time, that monitor seems to really be worth it, and besides you have a backup.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

i was going to do it slowly but i didn't know about the magnet part. so i think i'm probably gonna just carry it or just have my friend help so i can carefully get it there. i can carry it myself of course even tho it's heavy. i just thought of the chair out of precaution cause want to be careful but didn't know about the magnet part.

how much you think it can estimate of the cost? if it's just the power supply does that mean like 100-200? or more then 200?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

iirc these got dried out small lytics in the psu.
too bad i trashed mine when the crt went to air and started arcing.the boards were still good.
mine had a shorted hot dragging the psu down.got it free and used it 5 years after i fixed it.crt went sick over a week or so.sprung a leak.R.I.P.
Audiokarma
Old 09-24-2011, 10:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

well looks like i be putting it out on the curb now..... i went to the tech and told me he didn't want to bother with it cause had too much stuff to look at and it's not worth fixing. and after that when i came back since i had a ride my friend was dumb and open the back before i got out of the car and since the monitor had a broken stand already it fell out on the street...... seemed screen was unharmed but the stand broke more and piece of the back casing broke. also the front bezel chipped. i swear....i have the worst luck in the world.

i have no idea if it's still worth fixing or not. i don't know any other experience techs who are willing to work on these things anymore in nj. also don't know if anything internally suffered anything from the fall(was about 3 1/2 foot fall). should i still try or just curb the thing? i don't know what to do.

this truly sucks and worst day i ever had....
Old 09-24-2011, 01:30 PM
M is for Memory

Might be better off getting a good used one at a thrift shop.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Might be better off getting a good used one at a thrift shop.
that's going to be impossible in most cases cause this is pretty rare and sought after monitor....and still go for over several hundred bucks in good working condition. i think the tube itself is still worth good amount for parts maybe,so thinking if i can't get second opinion from another local shop or find anyone local in south jersey who willing to help me out i guess i might just have to put it up as parts or something maybe. i really don't want to see it go on the curb.

the tube itself is still in perfect condition from what i expected. just the casing and stand is cracked and bezel is chipped. glass tube is still unscratched and not harmed.

power supply or front panel fuse is dead from what people told me here so i can't really test it cause it won't power on but i still get static sound every time i plug it in the wall so guess that's a sign that the tube is still working fine.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

maybe you will get lucky and the fall didnt kill the aperture grille.too bad you are not local.would not be hard to figure it out here.
you sure you hear static?
more likely you are hearing the degausser.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8adu View Post
maybe you will get lucky and the fall didnt kill the aperture grille.too bad you are not local.would not be hard to figure it out here.
you sure you hear static?
more likely you are hearing the degausser.
kinda sounds like static to me. i mean i get sound every time at the plug. i guess that just means it's receiving power to the connector maybe? i took pics in my other forum asking for suggestions of the inside. seem none of the inside suffered one bit and no crack boards or anything. the thin steel sheet that protects the circuits also has no dents or suffered any damage. the fall wasn't very high. maybe 3ft the most. only thing seem to take damage from the fall was the back plastic casing and front bezel is slightly crack but no damage to the glass and not single scratch. i have no idea what position it fell from either.

heres the pics i took.

only damage it suffered in fall(from what i can physically see):

Last edited by Rex Aeterna; 09-25-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Audiokarma