Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Didn't Bro Stair recently get busted for some kinda very naughty behavior?
Old 09-05-2018, 06:24 PM
David Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlabs View Post
Didn't Bro Stair recently get busted for some kinda very naughty behavior?
Yep, he sure did. Allegedly, he likes the company of young girls who live (if you can call it living) in his compound. They arrested him, but I haven't heard what happened to the case. From everything I've read, he's got a small cult going on in rural South Carolina.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

AND, that was the SECOND time. I think whoever it is who pays for his broadcasts ($100K a month) probably made his bail too.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:02 PM
David Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
AND, that was the SECOND time. I think whoever it is who pays for his broadcasts ($100K a month) probably made his bail too.
Now there's a question I've always wondered about. The guy buys massive amounts of time on just about every American shortwave broadcaster in the country, and that has to cost big $$. Where does the leader of a small cult get his hands on that kind of dough?

WRMI in Florida would have to shut down half their transmitters were it not for Brother Scare spewing his nonsense on the air. WBCQ in Maine is spending lots of money upgrading to a new Continental transmitter and some fancy new antenna farm, and I think Bro. Stair is their biggest paying customer, too.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think the WBCQ upgrade is totally financed by another religious group. Its an Alliss antenna which is popular in Europe but this will be the first one in the US.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:08 PM
Collector of heavy things

Getting back on-topic, WWV will not be shutting down in 2019 as once feared, and is making plans to celebrate its 100th anniversary. More info here.
-Adam

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors
Old 02-25-2019, 08:21 PM
I like....big sparks!!

Great news there, Adam! Thanks for posting the link.

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Old 02-26-2019, 12:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjohn View Post
Great news there, Adam! Thanks for posting the link.
Indeed! Looks like “atomic” watches and clocks here will continue to be accurate, and the signals that I use for a quick check of SW band conditions and calibration will continue.

jr
Old 02-26-2019, 01:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yay! WWV not dead! I've been setting my watches from them since the 1980's Some of my friends over the years have asked me "do you know what time it is?" my reply, Yes, I really do!
Old 02-26-2019, 07:01 PM
David Thomas

Good news indeed. I actually bought a Citizen eco-drive wristwatch last week that adjusts every night from WWV, so there is a need for that station other than us radio guys.
Audiokarma
Old 02-26-2019, 10:40 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

My thing was with CHU, the time station up in Canuckistan... For SOME strange reason, it came in AMAZINGLY well down here in Greater Bugtussle. And, it rather completely MESMERISED a rather weird 11,12 yr old kid w/only a cheapy Grundig. My dad made the misteak of taking me to Bondurant Bros Co in Knoxville, they were the Sony distributor here in NE Tenn, I stole a catalog of all their SW radios, & NOTHING would do until Santy Claws brung me a CRF-230 that year.... 1969 was a GREAT year... But is it just me, or do "Time" stations have a rather hypnotic spell that they can weave ?. Beep, Beep, beep, beep....The time is twelve hours, seventeen minutes, Eastern standard time...
Old 02-27-2019, 06:34 PM
David Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
My dad made the misteak of taking me to Bondurant Bros Co in Knoxville.
Oh yes, I remember Bondurant Bros very well. Back in the day, they were the closest parts house to my shop so I would stop in occasionally. Unfortunately, they were on a downhill slide after Sony dropped distributors, and didn't make it through the 1990's. Their location down on Sevier Avenue is just a few miles from my house. The building is still there, and I read the other day there are plans to redevelop it.

Bondurant Bros had quite a collection of vintage service manuals in stock, lots of old Sams and even Rider's. I can't remember the guys name in the parts dept, but when I was a kid, he was nice enough to Xerox copies for me every now and then.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:45 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

For an electronics infatuated redneck kid, as I was-and STILL am, just now I'm an electronics infatuated Olde Pharte', going to Bondurant's was akin to getting to go to God's Office or something. Well, maybe not quite THAT good, but pretty dern close. The staff was friendly, they knew their stuff about what they sold, & were INFINATELY patient w/annoying electronics infatuated kids. I knew 2 guys who worked there-An older guy named Leon-Whose last name escapes me- & Doug Ivey, who was likely in his thirties back in the late 60s-early 70s when I knew him. Leon was sort of a little guy, I remember towering over him when I was 11, 12, 13. Doug was taller, prolly a good 6' or more. Funny how you remember things like that almost 50 yrs later. I DO remember asking them which kind of VCR I should buy ? back in '79 or 80, & they told me "VHS"-they saw a lot less of them than sick Betamaxes. I also remember seeing a Sony branded COLOR set about a year B4 the Trinitron came out in one of the offices in the back of the Bondurant bldg. It looked like a std USA type 21" tabletop color set, but it said "Sony" on it. Wish now I'd gone into my "Young Sheldon" mode & asked questions about it...From all I've read/heard about Sony, slapping their name on an RCA, Zenith, or Admiral would have been anathema to them...
Old 02-28-2019, 06:56 PM
David Thomas

I never bought anything from Bondurant Bros. except for parts. We were a Zenith dealer (which was distributed by Graybar and then Cain & Bultman on 17th street) and Quasar and Crosley (which was EB Copeland and then Consumer Wholesale on Jackson Ave). We tried selling Sharp, but the shipping costs were too high. We also carried a little Magnavox stuff as they had a distributor down in Cleveland, TN.

Our biggest parts supplier was L&S Electronics, from up your way in Morristown. The only game left in town for parts these days is Shields.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:10 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I also remember seeing a Sony branded COLOR set about a year B4 the Trinitron came out in one of the offices in the back of the Bondurant bldg. It looked like a std USA type 21" tabletop color set, but it said "Sony" on it. Wish now I'd gone into my "Young Sheldon" mode & asked questions about it...From all I've read/heard about Sony, slapping their name on an RCA, Zenith, or Admiral would have been anathema to them...
Interesting. I have a 17-19" Setchell Carlson industrial color Monitor that is really professionally badged Sony up front (with the amount of rust and neglect that had to be done VERY long ago to look as original as it does)...There's a chance they might have ordered a bigger table set too...I figure mine was probably to demonstrate experimental color videotape systems to trade shows or sales reps in the USA.

There is a thread on it somewhere here on VK if you poke around.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma