Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith Tube Record Player Console Find.

My latest find. According to the guy who had it for sale, "It sounds bad, like something is wrong with it."

The price was almost free, so I drove the 25 miles and picked it up.

Cabinet is in pretty good shape. A touch of static when turning the bass control. I put on a record and yes, it did sound pretty bad.

I figured out what was "wrong with it". I flipped the needle over. BAM! It was magic. Sounds great now. It's amazing that he never did that. There's not a thing wrong with it. One of the wires to one of the speakers was dangling, so I plugged it back in. BAM! It sounds even better than at first.

I don't know what this model is called. Maybe a "Cantata"?

Old 08-29-2018, 02:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thats a sweet HiFi.
We had one a few years newer. It was mono but it had a stereo EV
cartridge. You could add a matching amp / speaker to make it
stereo. I doubt many bothered. My old man bought a Sherwood FM
tuner for it instead.
The compensation switch is a rare touch & useful. Only seen it on
Zeniths of this era & a few super high end HiFi's.
Since I was about 6 yrs old my greatest memory was the cobra
tone arm with that beady eye. I could stare at it for hours. By the
time of the Beatles I played every album on it & added a dump
picked amp for stereo. It was the cats ass.........

TNX 4 the memories
73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 08-31-2018, 10:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wonderful!!!

What a Beauty!!!
Old 08-31-2018, 10:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayburn69 View Post
What a Beauty!!!
Yeah, it's pretty nice. Of course some of it is not real wood, it's mostly that photo finish laminate that was popular back then. But it does look good in the room.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

I got it back today. It sounds great. Nice full sound now, with way more bass.

AND.....the record changer works like new.

I like this thing a lot. Nice tube sound. AND.....the tweeters do work!
Audiokarma
Old 01-30-2020, 08:56 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

This is beautiful, well built, they sounded very nice. And stlll good listening today. A joy to own, to operate, to enjoy. And I like them. "Zenith, the Quality Stays in even when the Name Falls Off". Chicago craftsmanship at it's best, hand wired.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

i've got this same unit in my basement that someone dropped off for me to work on a few years back and it takes one of those"powerpoint" needles but I'm not sure which one it takes as VM Enthusiasts lists at least 6 of those types of needles that Zenith used for their Cobra-Matic record changers and the ones I thought it would of been the ones that looked like it would match the original turned out to be either too big or were stereo rather than mono, and the original needle had no part numbers on it and the cartridge on the unit has no maker marks or model numbers on it anywhere.

Unfortunately the guy that brought it over to me to repair it, I havent heard from him in a long time and when I've tried to call him about his record player I would just get his voicemail.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:10 AM
<----Zenith C845

Zenith has always been my favorite brand of TV, radio and audio gear. I've had several Zenith radios (I still have a few), Zenith televisions, and Zenith stereo phonographs, all of which worked and sounded great and gave me many years of excellent service; unfortunately, I had to give up most of my collection, including all but one of the televisions, and start absolutely fresh when, 21 years ago, I moved to a very small apartment from a 3-bedroom house with a basement.

BTW, Zenith was one of the best makes of TV, radio and audio, IMHO. It was a darn shame the company decided to leave Chicago for Korea. However, in the early '80s until I moved, I had a Zenith four-mode stereo system (their model IS-4041) which had been made in Korea. It worked great the 17 years I had it, but again, when I moved to an apartment, I had to give it up since it was too darn big for my new place (the main unit was almost as wide as my desk, and the speakers were in large walnut-grain wooden boxes). I replaced it with an Aiwa CX-NA888 4-mode digital stereo system, which is actually much better than the Zenith (50 watts per channel, while the Zenith was only 5 WPC). The Aiwa bookshelf system also has a CD player which can play up to 3 disks sequentially (the modern-day equivalent of a record changer). The system sounds great to me as well, even though each enclosure only has a 3" tweeter and a 6.5" woofer. (There may also be a midrange speaker in each of those enclosures as well.)

The only thing I don't like about this system is the selectivity of the stereo FM tuner. Since this system's FM tuner has fixed AFC, it will pull the tuning toward the strongest station(s) on the dial, which irks me because there is a strong FM station about eight miles from here on 104.7 MHz. That station completely drowns out a classical music station 0.2 MHz up the dial, at 104.9 MHz; I am sure I could hear that station very well were it not for the tuner's AFC locking the tuner on the stronger station. I am not a dyed-in-the-wool classical music fan (I grew up listening to rock music), but I would like to hear the classical station on 104.9 once in a while.

I hated like anything to hear of the end of the Zenith Radio Corporation, and have no idea what led to its downfall, but I do feel it was a tremendous loss to the hi-fi and television industry since, as I said, Zenith was one of the best if not the best brands of hi-fi stereo, TV, and transistor radios.

I am all but amazed no other company offered to take over Zenith to keep it going in the 21st century and beyond. To see a company like this, which had been founded in 1918 and had many, many followers, just throw in the towel after all those years and move from Chicago to Korea is just too darn bad, IMHO.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 06-04-2022 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
I...have no idea what led to its downfall, but I do feel it was a tremendous loss to the hi-fi and television industry
Watch it and weep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aesJTsZqm6c

This is saddening and incredibly frustrating, looking back and watching the people at Zenith and Motorola, who knew what was coming and couldn't do anything but wait to be devoured.

TL;DW: Nixon administration traded our consumer electronics industry for a military base in Japan.
Old 06-04-2022, 11:38 AM
I love old stuff

That connector in which the external cable is pluged, what is for?
Audiokarma
Old 06-04-2022, 12:32 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1210 View Post
Yeah, it's pretty nice. Of course some of it is not real wood, it's mostly that photo finish laminate that was popular back then. But it does look good in the room.
That photofinish stuff looks nice, but it won't take much abuse. Also, if the cement which holds it to the wood it is attached to dries out or otherwise fails, the material will detach itself and, again, become all too easy to literally tear off. This very thing has happened to the photofinish on my desk; in fact, some of it has been irreparably scratched when my cat runs across the desk itself. The desk looks bad now, but there is nothing I can do about it, although I have been able to replace some of the damaged finish with wood-grain shelf paper.

I don't know when your Zenith stereo was made, but if it was made in the '70s or '80s (I would guess the former, in the latter part of the decade, but it could have been made in the '80s, as I am about to explain), the "finish" was all but certainly that photofinish stuff, which as you said was becoming extremely popular by that time, and is still being used to this day.

Old 06-04-2022, 12:44 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanInSitges View Post
Watch it and weep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aesJTsZqm6c

This is saddening and incredibly frustrating, looking back and watching the people at Zenith and Motorola, who knew what was coming and couldn't do anything but wait to be devoured.

TL;DW: Nixon administration traded our consumer electronics industry for a military base in Japan.
I clicked on the link to the video you mentioned, and received a message that it is no longer available.

Old 06-05-2022, 10:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cobramatic changer would date to late 50’s, maybe real early 60’s. I started with a Zenith dealer in 1963. 2 gram tone arm. A few years later would have been solid state. No photo finish to speak of in 63. That looks like Cherry veneer or Mahogany. I still have a 1968 Zenith cabinet built in Springfield, MO. My avatar. All cherry hardwoods and veneers. The speaker cloth is the original with no damage. Now just a cabinet used to hold home theater gear. I wish I could find a set of original doors.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:49 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

The Cobra was not 2 gram. Micro-Touch which followed Cobra in 1962, was 2 gram. Micro-Touch was also much lower output, much better for record life.
Old 06-06-2022, 01:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
Cobramatic changer would date to late 50’s, maybe real early 60’s.
Model number “HF20R” is covered in Sams Photofact 346-21, which was published in mid 1957.

jr
Audiokarma