Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:10 AM
TheUniversalDave1

2010 Panasonic Plasma

Yes, for the first time in my life, I actually paid money for a flat screen TV. I got it at the local thrift store for a pittance - only $10. Considering it was close to $1000 new, I think I did pretty good at a 99% discount. Unfortunately, it's totally dead save for blinking the red LED ten times over and over. Anyone know what that's code for? I've got a good friend sending me used working boards for it, so hopefully I'll be sporting a working 50" plasma soon. Panasønic model TC-P50S2 August 2010.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5556.jpg (65.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5557.jpg (35.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 09-05-2018, 07:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Error codes do vary a bit from generation to generation, but 10 blinks is usually one of the low voltage supplies not coming up. Other than an actual fault in the power supply board it can also be caused by another fault loading the supply down. In one I found something jammed in the SD card slot shorting the 3.3V rail.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Might just be bad 'lytics in the power supply. The Vizio I had did that and a PSU recap brought it back. Yours is a 2010 model so it may or may not have rotten caps
Old 09-06-2018, 12:47 AM
Administrator

I have a P50S1 sitting here (given to me by a friend) with a shorted board, I've been debating for a couple years on spending the $140 to get the board repaired, with no guarantee that's all that wrong.

It had seven blinks I think, and when powered up the cooling fans would rev up full blast, probably trying to save the PS from overheating due to the short.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

I don't think I've ever found a Panasonic power supply with bad electrolytic caps. The caps that can cause the 10 blink error code are actually little 1uF SMD chip caps on the little subboards. I think those were pre 2010 though. Post a picture of you power supply board or lookup the massive 10 blinks thread on badcaps.net.

7 blinks can be caused by a bad panel, a bad buffer or a bad sustain board. A bad panel can kill your replacement buffer board. A bad buffer board can kill your good replacement sustain board. I learnt this the hard way trying to make one good set out of 2.
Audiokarma
Old 09-08-2018, 04:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Fixing a 7 blinker is not too difficult if you know what to do, but finding good quality replacements for the shorted IGBTs is almost impossible.
Don't even think about chinese fake components from Aliexpress.
They are a waste of time and money
Old 09-11-2018, 12:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

With any Panasonic, you should tighten all of the ground screws prior to attempting any diagnostics. These things are great tv's, but the ground screws are their Achilles heal. Speaking as a huge Panasonic plasma fan ( I used to sell them and I currently own two ), I would fix it. My living room flat panel is a TC-P55UT50, and it is still better than any LED, in my opinion.

Now I should admit that most of my viewing is on an old Zenith system3 CRT in the back room, so feel free to ignore my advice.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:33 PM
TheUniversalDave1

The new boards for this set are coming tomorrow. All except for the "A" board.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:46 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I changed all the boards today except for the "A" board. After that, it went from 10 blinks to 6 blinks. I checked over all the connections many times, and eventually got it working. Unfortunately, I think the display is going bad, it has some pretty bad black bars in the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5663.jpg (61.1 KB, 47 views)
Old 09-15-2018, 06:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

The ribbon cables from panel to the buffer boards are not seated correctly. Each 1 pixel high black line is a pin that it not connected.
Audiokarma
Old 09-15-2018, 09:51 AM
TheUniversalDave1

Thanks for the confirmation. My buddy told me the same thing, and so did a guy in a Youtube video. I'm just so skiddish to mess with it, because of all the things to screw up in one of these.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:48 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I adjusted the ribbon cables on the far left, and now the picture is free of all those annoying lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5681.jpg (60.2 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by TUD1; 09-18-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Glad to hear you got it working. Panasonic made a great TV, and you should be able to enjoy it for years to come.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had a TH-42PZ700 come in recently with 10 blinks. I went straight for the 1uF cap on the the MC301 module which measured a little low.

It still wouldn't start up. I didn't follow my own advice - Another coin jammed in the SD card slot. I just disconnect the SD card slot from behind. The pins usually break when you try to straighten them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caponmodule.jpg (110.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg coininslot.JPG (124.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 09-18-2018, 11:18 PM
M is for Memory

This is a good reason to never allow kids to have spare change...At least VCRs are gone now so most parents will never again find an ice cream sandwich in one.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma