Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Consoles 'Я' Us

Rca trk-12 Garage Find

A lady down the street is moving and has her father's old TV sitting in the garage. I believe it's an RCA TRK-12 according to pictures that I've found online. It's operating condition is unknown, but it appears to be intact (other that the cord being cut). I know nothing about vintage TV's as my collection is comprised of tubed console stereos and mono units. Is this something worth persuing? I think I can get it for next to nothing. The cabinet is in very nice shape with some minor veneer peeling. The picture tube is there and the mirror under the lid is intact. All the knobs are there, but the radio side looks to have some missing pushbutton caps. I really don't know what the heck I'd do with it, but it's just so damn cool looking!

Thanks!
Dave

Fisher, Grundig, Motorola & Magnavox Consoles | Dahlquist DQ-30 | DCM TimeWindow 3 | PSB Stratus Gold i | RtR II-F | Klipsch KG-4 | KLH 6 & System 20 | Nakamichi PA-7 | B&K Monoblocks | Outlaw Audio 950 | Carver MXR-130 | Pioneer SX-1250 | Sansui 9090DB

Last edited by relaximus; 06-20-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Title Change
Old 06-19-2011, 11:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Dave:

Yes, it is definitely worth getting if that is what it is. I am definitely interested in the set if you are not planning on keeping it. I am in New Jersey so not that far away.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Consoles 'Я' Us

It looks just like this (well, a lot dustier and with some veneer peeling on the right-front, curved portion of the lid):

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trk12_cab_done_open.jpg (141.6 KB, 238 views)

Fisher, Grundig, Motorola & Magnavox Consoles | Dahlquist DQ-30 | DCM TimeWindow 3 | PSB Stratus Gold i | RtR II-F | Klipsch KG-4 | KLH 6 & System 20 | Nakamichi PA-7 | B&K Monoblocks | Outlaw Audio 950 | Carver MXR-130 | Pioneer SX-1250 | Sansui 9090DB
Old 06-19-2011, 01:23 PM
M is for Memory

You lucky dog! Oh what I wouldn't give to have the chance to purchase a pre-war TV for next to nothing.

If you can get it for a good price, then go for it!

This is one TV that should have good room for profit in it(should you decide that you don't want to keep it).

Tom C.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

These sets sell for an average of about $6-8,000 if they are complete and have a good cabinet.

There are a few postwar mirror in lid sets that look somewhat similar, so be sure it is really a TRK-12/120 before you buy it.

If you do get it, please contact me so the set can be entered in our database.
Audiokarma
Old 06-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Looking For Time

I suspect there will be some folks green with envy over this post here.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Consoles 'Я' Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McVoy View Post
These sets sell for an average of about $6-8,000 if they are complete and have a good cabinet.
Are you serious? I really know absolutely nothing about vintage TV's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McVoy View Post
If you do get it, please contact me so the set can be entered in our database.
Absolutely!

Cheers!
Dave

Old 06-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Uhh, that's one of the most coveted, "Holy Grail" type sets....Survivors can about be counted on yr fingers... If you DO get it, PLEASE don't be tempted to apply power to it until its been COMPLETELY checked out...
Old 06-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Consoles 'Я' Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
... If you DO get it, PLEASE don't be tempted to apply power to it until its been COMPLETELY checked out...
Sandy:

If there's one thing that I learned from AK and through the restoration of my tube consoles, it's that. And the one thing that I do know about vintage TV's is that as scary as the voltages are in old tube stereos, they pale in comparison to those in old TV's.

Dave

Old 06-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaximus View Post
Sandy:

If there's one thing that I learned from AK and through the restoration of my tube consoles, it's that. And the one thing that I do know about vintage TV's is that as scary as the voltages are in old tube stereos, they pale in comparison to those in old TV's.

Dave
Most Pre war sets use a "Brute Force" high voltage supply as opposed to a Flyback supply.

The Flyback type is very low amperage, it'll bite you but seldom hurt you, the brute force supply is stepped by a transformer right off the line voltage , massive amperage and instant death if you happen to come in contact with it.

The B+ is dangerous in any set but still only 200-400 volts, it'll kill you too of course but it takes longer.
Audiokarma
Old 06-19-2011, 08:05 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Main thing is to be careful around any high potential, and treat it with the respect it deserves.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaximus View Post
Sandy:

Dave
I wasn't talkin' about YOU, I was talkin' about the TV !! Mbwahahahaha...(Grin) Seriously, DO be careful...'Lektwissitty DON'T take no prisoners...
Old 06-20-2011, 11:26 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

If this is a real post about a real TRK-12, there indeed will be a lot of envious people on here. But all due respect to the OP, there need to be photos put up of the actual set, and a serial number that isn't already in the ETF database, etc., as sadly, there have been many hoaxes out there surrounding TRK-12s and CT-100s, etc.

These things do come up for real once in awhile, as I know a building contractor who was hired to rebuild an old garage, and the lady said her late husband's non-running old Chevy had to be towed out of it first. She said the contractor could have it if he was silly enough to want it, and it turned out when he dug into the garage, that it was a '54 Corvette in showroom condition with low miles that had been parked since the 50s.

Charles
Old 06-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Consoles 'Я' Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
If this is a real post about a real TRK-12, there indeed will be a lot of envious people on here. But all due respect to the OP, there need to be photos put up of the actual set, and a serial number that isn't already in the ETF database, etc., as sadly, there have been many hoaxes out there surrounding TRK-12s and CT-100s, etc.
I'll try and get some pics today when she gets home. Will the serial number be on the back panel?

Dave

Old 06-20-2011, 12:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

The serial number will be stamped on the main chassis.
Audiokarma