Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-25-2002, 07:40 PM
Banned

Show us your vintage B&W sets!

I began collecting vintage TV's with round CRT's about 5 years ago when it occured to me that one of these would make a really cool period and conversation piece in my living room. I started looking around and putting out the word to my circle of friends and one day got a tip that there was a 1948, 10" Admiral bakelite consolette at an antique shop a couple of hour's away. Well it was in really tough shape, major crack in the top of the cabinet, most of the tubes were missing, and even the knobs were missing. The price was also too high but I just hadn't discovered the 'network' yet and let me tell you, these vintage sets are really hard to come by in Ontario, ...so I bought it. Then began all the phone calls, at first trying to find a good 10BP4 CRT (the picture tube was also shot). I eventually discovered the AWA and the radio swap meets and the rest is history. I had to buy another cabinet for that set, and another complete Admiral just for the right knobs, but eventually did get it fully electronically restored and polished to a nice shine. During that project I developed a keen interest in these early post war marvels of technology and that interest led to a full blown desire to collect more and more. Now I have filled my home with them and the collection spills over into the shop where the unrestored ones still await my attention. I would be ready to open a Vintage TV Museum any day now, if it was only a practical thing to do. The cost of heating the display building alone would never be recouped by the take at the gate. Anyhow, when I get time I'll eventually be sharing these sets with visitors to my website in Virtual Museum mode.

Vintage TV collecting has not entrenched itself yet like the well established hobby (and business) of radio collecting, but in the past 5 years it sure has seen a rapid growth curve. I'm glad I got started when I did, my collection is now pretty much big enough and I limit my collecting now somewhat selectively to just those few B&W sets I still desire to find or vintage round screen color sets.

I've enclosed an after restoration picture of my first set that launched my collecting hobby and invite all of you to share your pictures and collecting stories with us.

Rob

Last edited by Rob; 06-26-2002 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

B and W tvs

Rob:
Boy, that is opening a can of worms! Do you want them cronologically or alphabetically! Allright, how about a 7" Emerson. Ummm, lemme see if I can do this.....

Marlin
Old 06-26-2002, 10:19 AM
Banned

Marlin,

Nice Emerson 600! That is one of the ones still on my wish list. If you'd like I could store it for you.

Rob
Old 06-26-2002, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Hi Rob, great group you got here!
OK, here is one of my newest favorites, a 1953 + or - Philco 21" floor model with a "Golden Grid" Tuner whatever that means. It must work though because it really pulls in the stations even without an antenna!

This is an old set you can actually watch.

Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg philcof1.jpg (37.9 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Eric H; 01-18-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:15 AM
Banned

Hi Eric,

Glad you could drop by! That is a great early 50's set. Yes one you can watch! Great sound too I'll bet. Didn't they make a car about that same time, early 50's, with a front ornament that looked like the pencil box with that Vee below it?

Rob
Audiokarma
Old 06-27-2002, 02:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Rob, I believe you are referring to a chevy. The "V" stands for V8. Come to think of it I have several television sets which grills that look sorta familliar. maybe I saw them at our neighborhood classic car show.....
Marlin
Old 06-27-2002, 02:49 PM
Administrator

I always thought the "V" stood for "Victory", after the US won WWII. But that was always an educated guess, seeing that I've never seen a television with a V8....but then again I wouldn't put anything past Rob
Old 06-27-2002, 03:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Smile Beautiful Crosley 9-408

Here's my Crosley 9-408. Bought from a friend in NY, I restored it about a month ago.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Excellent RCA 721TS

Here's an RCA 721TS that I bought unrestored from a Canadian collector. It took me over a month to get it cleaned up and working since it was once used in a bar and was covered with tobacco smoke residue. Here it is, working again..
Old 06-27-2002, 03:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

GE 800C

Also bought in Canada, here's a GE 800C working again.
Audiokarma
Old 06-27-2002, 03:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pathe 12-2

Here's a Pathe 12-2 that I restored some time ago.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:04 PM
Banned

Re: Excellent RCA 721TS

JS,

That 721TS is a beauty now. After all that hard work, why on earth are you selling it?????

Rob
Old 06-27-2002, 06:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA 721TS

To answer that question, I'm selling it because vintage tv is now more than a hobby. I used to work for a leading long-distance phone company which is now in the news for the worst accounting scandal in US history. Vintage electronics is my job now.

Some products and services we offer are:

1 - We buy, restore and sell vintage radio, tv, hi-fi and guitar amplifiers.

2 - We design and build tube guitar and hi-fi amplifiers.

3 - We restore vintage electronics for those collectors who already have the sets but lack the time or expertise to do their own restorations.

When I acquire an especially rare set (there were fewer Crosley 9-408's made than RCA 630TS's) I hold onto them for private display in my home.

One of my goals is to increase the number of surviving antique sets that are also working antique sets.

This has been something I've wanted to turn from a hobby into a career since I was 12 years old. The ultimate goal of my business is to bring America's consumer electronics industry back to its former glory in the same way as we all love to bring pictures bact to the screens of classic tv sets that have sat dormant for decades. I hope to market a 100% American-made tv set within 10 years. Please visit my Web site and have a lok around. The URL is http://home.earthlink.net/~amptechsys. Here's my AboutMe page on eBay, also http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/jshorva65/

Thank you for the reply.

John
Old 06-27-2002, 07:50 PM
Banned

John,

Sorry for you that the bean counters at the phone company got caught doing what they and bankers do best. A lot of people that trusted the system have been burned badly.

I wish you luck in your enterprise. It is great when you can turn something you love as a hobby into something you will also enjoy as a mechanism for buying groceries. Looks like the 721 will buy you a few groceries.

I have one of those 721TS's obtained from a mutual friend (I'll bet) who happens to also live in New York State, the Crosley looks awful familiar , and wouldn't think of parting with it. I'd like to restore it someday myself. I just have so many to do I don't know which one to tackle next and other matters keep me distracted of course. I don't buy any of these ever to resell however, just for the private collection. Someone's gonna get a nice complete collection someday.

Rob

Last edited by Rob; 06-27-2002 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Can't get much rounder than this set. A Stromberg-Carlson TC-10

Chuck
Audiokarma