Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Do any of the Crowley reproduction radios function decently as a radio? My grandfather
Bought a GE cathedral reproduction of a GE radio in 1988,
And it's actually quite a great sounding and performing radio..
The instructions even showed the internal
Parts versus the original.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:58 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Friends & family have given me "Electronics" over the past several years for Xmas & my birthday. They MEAN well, but I wish they just keep their money..I got a "Bubbler" radio several yrs back, it VAGUELY resembled a tombstone, w/Christmas Tree "Bubblers".. The lights dimmed on it if you turned it up above whisper-level.. It ACTUALLY received fairly well.. But civilians rarely know the difference between "Lightning" & "Lightning Bug" in radio sets..
Old 02-24-2014, 08:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Friends & family have given me "Electronics" over the past several years for Xmas & my birthday. They MEAN well, but I wish they just keep their money..I got a "Bubbler" radio several yrs back, it VAGUELY resembled a tombstone, w/Christmas Tree "Bubblers".. The lights dimmed on it if you turned it up above whisper-level.. It ACTUALLY received fairly well.. But civilians rarely know the difference between "Lightning" & "Lightning Bug" in radio sets..
I guess it was supposed to resemble a Wurlitzer 1015 juke box. They had the bubble lights on both sides of it.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
She gives me a different model every year. Crosley builds dozens of variants on the same theme. I have one which is a copy of the '30's Spartan Bluebird radio, one with radio and CD player only, a couple that look like miniature jukeboxes, the radio/CD/tape/turntable in a retro wood case I just sold, a cathedral "Philco" lookalike, a "tombstone" AM/FM, a Belmont pushbutton reproduction, and a bakelite all-in-one with remote control. I finally got her off the Crosley kick, now she's on a different gift theme that's probably even more useless to me.
I bought the Sparton Bluebird replica, several years ago. It was priced at a fraction of what they were selling for at retail stores, etc. I kept the box and packing and put it away, when I moved. ten years ago.
They're selling on the E place for several times more, than I paid for it.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:54 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I guess it was supposed to resemble a Wurlitzer 1015 juke box. They had the bubble lights on both sides of it.
Aye-Yup. That be the one... I sold the house I lived in when I got it, can't remember if it made the trip w/me...Guess I'll lose sleep over it tonite...NOT !
Old 02-26-2014, 12:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Aye-Yup. That be the one... I sold the house I lived in when I got it, can't remember if it made the trip w/me...Guess I'll lose sleep over it tonite...NOT !
Hope it was not one like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Crosley-CR12-2...rosley+jukebox
My word!

Not affiliated,
jr
Old 02-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Hope it was not one like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Crosley-CR12-2...rosley+jukebox
My word!

Not affiliated,
jr
Naw... This was a little thing, MAYBE a foot tall..
Old 02-26-2014, 10:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Naw... This was a little thing, MAYBE a foot tall..
Yeah Sandy, I had that same model, and like yours, the lights on mine dimmed when the radio was cranked up. I got tired of it gathering dust, so I put it up for sale on Craig's List for $5, but when I went to make sure everything worked OK, the on/off switch for the "bubbler lights" broke. So I dropped the price to a whopping $3 (and probably spent that much money in gasoline driving to a store parking lot to meet the purchaser).

I also noticed on at least some of these Crosleys, the power transformer is wired directly to the AC line and the secondary is switched, so the radio is sucking some power even when it's turned off.