Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Found a Multistandard Sharp VC-NF01

I found what I think is a European model Sharp VC-NF01 VCR, it will play PAL, NTSC and SECAM. I didn't get a remote with it and that might be hard to find, seems like most of the features can be accessed on the front panel though.

All I've done so far is load a tape, it seems to work, the counter moves but I need to hook it up to a monitor and see how it looks.

It looks to be a very nice machine and has some odd features, can anyone tell me anything about this?

Will it play a PAL tape through an NTSC set or would I need a PAL TV also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hifi.jpg (12.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg sharp.jpg (20.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg frntcontrols.jpg (13.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg outputs.jpg (15.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg tag.jpg (22.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg ntscpal.jpg (10.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Eric H; 02-21-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Administrator

It works, and it has a really good picture!
This is only a little 9" Sony but the picture is really nice, no noise and good color.

It's really hard to take a decent picture off the screen but here's one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture.jpg (23.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-23-2011, 12:58 AM
Administrator

No interest? I would have thought a deck like this would get at least one reply.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
No interest? I would have thought a deck like this would get at least one reply.
I have a new-in-box multi-standard JVC VCR. I also have several multi-standard color tv's. Still have to do some experimenting with them.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thats defiantly a 1990's VCR, this was the age where cheap recycled junk dominated. Those were the last of the "Left side loading" before middle loading VCRS became popular, which is all garbage..
Audiokarma
Old 02-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Administrator

It's probably early to mid 90's but I wouldn't put it in the BPC category with the Funai built junk.

This one was built in Japan and it has some heft to it, lots of metal in the deck still, lots of circuitry but I expect that's because it plays more than one format.

I can't find out much about it on the Web, I'd still like to know exactly what year it is, no date that I can see inside, about a million Electrolytic caps though, I'd hate to recap it!

I like to pick up decently built Hi-Fi VCR's when I find them because I have a zillion out of print VHS tapes I still want to be able to watch (and copy to Digital) someday.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Eric,

Nice find. yes to watch PAL or SECAM tapes you will need a multistandard TV/Monitor. A lot of the new flat panel sets will do NTSC and PAL.

Panasonic made a VCR that had digital format conversion built in, I believe it was the W-1 model.

Matt
Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I bought a Samsung VCR, model SV-5000 I think, that converts any tape standard (or video input format) to any desired output if I remember right. If yours is the type that just plays the multiple standards but does not convert them, one easy way to watch the output from foreign TV standards is to buy a computer video-capture device. Most of the ones I have seen include drivers that allow you to pick any desired input standard. The limitation, of curse, is that you have to watch your video on the computer rather than your regular TV.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 03-01-2011, 12:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

I want to say the year was 1993 or 1994.. We bought a JVC back in 1993 and it was left side loading. shortly after I noticed middle loading decks..
Old 03-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
I found what I think is a European model Sharp VC-NF01 VCR, it will play PAL, NTSC and SECAM...
Looks to be a Japanese domestic unit with the Japanese writing and "100V" voltage rating on the back panel. It will put out RF on probably 30 - 36 UHF. That's what the screw in the back next to the "Channel" does. The Test switch makes a video test signal, lets you tune it in on the TV. Haven't seen one of those Sharps, but I sure saw a bunch of the Samsung SV-5000s with power supply problems, electrolytics in SMPS a common failure, and more than a few with an eeprom chip that failed. Few mechanical problems. The Samsung converts one format to another, PAL tape to NTSC output for example. Aiwa made a couple of multi-standard decks I saw a lot of too, the HV-MX1 and later the HV-MX100 both convert formats like the Samsung.
Audiokarma
Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Looks to be a Japanese domestic unit with the Japanese writing and "100V" voltage rating on the back panel. It will put out RF on probably 30 - 36 UHF. That's what the screw in the back next to the "Channel" does. The Test switch makes a video test signal, lets you tune it in on the TV. Haven't seen one of those Sharps, but I sure saw a bunch of the Samsung SV-5000s with power supply problems, electrolytics in SMPS a common failure, and more than a few with an eeprom chip that failed. Few mechanical problems. The Samsung converts one format to another, PAL tape to NTSC output for example. Aiwa made a couple of multi-standard decks I saw a lot of too, the HV-MX1 and later the HV-MX100 both convert formats like the Samsung.
Hi Ed, will it put out RF at a level high enough to broadcast around the house or is it low level like any other VCR?

It has an odd output connector, like the connector on an older car radio except with the male end inside the socket.

I know I have some PAL tapes here somewhere, I'll have to find one and see if it'll play on an NTSC set.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Hi Ed, will it put out RF at a level high enough to broadcast around the house or is it low level like any other VCR?
I doubt it's output is high enough to transmit since it's made for direct connection into a TV's tuner.

Quote:
It has an odd output connector, like the connector on an older car radio except with the male end inside the socket.

I know I have some PAL tapes here somewhere, I'll have to find one and see if it'll play on an NTSC set.
Those are the "PAL" RF connectors. You can get adaptors to go to F connectors.

Check out these at MCM: 27-3015 and 27-3020
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/

(At RadioShack these are about $6 ea! )

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 03-01-2011 at 10:41 PM.