Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:20 PM
AK Member

good shortwave radios?

The rules for the forum say it's for vintage, so I hope I can stretch the rules a bit...

I'm thinking about getting a shortwave radio. One of the portable Grundig models seems like a logical choice.

I want a decent radio, but don't want to spend a lot either. Any suggestions?

I used to listen to stations from Europe on my Dad's old shortwave receiver when I was a kid, and I'd like to putter around a bit now and then. I figure it will have probably AM and FM too, so it will double as an emergency radio.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Eagle Keeper

Vintage or new

New...http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd...5&isArchived=0

I've always been partial to the old tube model Halicrafters.

RET USAF 1978-1998
Old 12-05-2008, 03:38 PM
waltzing with sin

If a couple hundred dollars isn't much, the Sony 2010 is hard to beat in the portable zone.

Or more than 200, now that it's discontinued. At 300 or so it puts it in the same price category of a Grundig Satellit, which SQ wise far outclasses the 2010.

If you want something paperback sized, I like my Grundig YB-400. I've owned a Sony SW7600G, SW7600GR, and one-time Sangean TOTL ATS-909, all about the same size and continuous coverage SW with FM and AM. The 400 ultimately was the keeper. All have their reception foibles, especially the 909 which pretty much requires an external antenna for decent reception. The 400 is not perfect but it's in the ballpark of the best (the 7600), with the added feature of great audio quality for the size. It makes a big difference when all the power is out and you're turning to your radio for information as well as a little entertainment.

For longer lasting power, choose one with a crank, although I have yet to find one those I like; or a bigger portable like the 2010, one that has room for D cells. Older analog units like the Sony SW5500 or the Panasonic RF-2200 will last a pretty long time on 4 D cells or so.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:56 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

For a new portable, try the Kaito 1102. It is not expensive, quite small and even has a BFO. It comes with three AA rechargeable batteries that can be recharged in the set.

For vintage shortwave sets, go with Hallicrafters. I have a restored S-53A and I just love it.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:26 PM
AK Member

How much is not a lot? It will mean different things to diffeent persons. I the real low range, find a Eton S350DL. About $100 new. An analog radio with a digital readout. The FM has a mpx output through the line outputs and the headphones. AM does not have an external antenna connection but has a long built-in rod and pulls well. The SW and FM have external antenna connections or can use a fairly long whip antenna. The AM and FM pull quite well and sound good. The AM has a narrow and wide band. No SSB. The SW is not great about 15mhz but below that it is sensitive, Comparable to my Hallicrafters SW-500.

If you want more sensitivity or even better audio there are filter mods available.

I have 2 of these, one in my office and the other besides the bed. In the office, it is the only radio that will pick up AM. All others I've tried get nothing but static.

OTOH, therfe is the vintage option. My Hallicrafters SW-500 tube radio only cost $25 in working condition. Only needed a litter control cleaning. It came with a set of magnetic headphones and is a lot of old time fun for as a kid I owned a S38C.
Audiokarma
Old 12-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Holding my tongue...Y'all know what I wanna say...(grin)
Old 12-05-2008, 08:36 PM
I like....big sparks!!

Yes, yes...we know. Sandy...we know that instead of counting sheep to get to sleep you count R-390s.

Seriously, though...there's a TON of good to great SW radios available both new and used. I have a $5 garage sale Grundig YB320 that does pretty decent, although the frequency coverage isn't quite complete. Then, there's my Sony ICF7600DS...paperback size, BFO...a good radio. Lots of bigger desktop rigs around, too...a vintage Yaesu FRG-7 can sometimes be had for a reasonable cost and is a good performer. Like tubes? Hallicrafters offered everything from the beginner S-38 to the Holy Grail SX-88 and a ton in between. I kinda like the SX-96, myself. Then there's National, Hammarlund...it's a lonnnng list. We'll all pitch in with opinions and advice for sure.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Analog Addiction

Just look for any Amateur transceiver such as Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood and TenTec from the 90's onward for around 300.00 and you will be in business and then study for your license and talk as well!

73 de -Mike
Old 12-05-2008, 08:58 PM
VK Member

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting a shortwave radio. One of the portable Grundig models seems like a logical choice.
If you are partial to Grundig radios, as I am, I would highly recommend getting a Grundig Satellit 2000 portable. It has AM, FM, and complete coverage of the short wave bands from 1.6 to 30.0 MHz. An 8 band turret (drum) tuner covers the frequencies from 5 to 30 30 MHz with a separate independent tuning scale and choice of normal or wideband tuning.

Years ago I owned both a Drake R8 and a Lowe 225 Europa receiver using a roof mounted antenna for worldwide shortwave listening. After I acquired and restored the Grundig Satellit 2000 (it had a failed out audio output transistor), I was very impressed by its performance (sensitivity, selectivity, and sound). I decided to do an A/B reception evaluation betwen the Grundig and each of the other two receivers. I was amazed that even on hard to reach stations that the Grundig was equal to both of the other two. After that, I sold both of the other receivers and kept the Grundig for all my shortwave listening.

More info on vintage Grundig shortwave portables here:

http://www.classic-worldband.com

You might also want to consider joining the Grundig Satellit Info Group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/grundig_satellit/
Old 12-05-2008, 09:09 PM
DTV blows

Panasonic RF-2200. Great with the built-in whip, excellent when connected to an outdoor wire, for both AM/MW and SW. FM is no slouch, either.
Superb tone quality is the icing on the cake.

Tom
Old 12-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Another couple of choices if you're not afraid of "old" would be Sony's CRF-150, 160, 230 or 330 models, or Panasonic's RF-3000, 5000, & 9000 models. They were the respective "flagships" of 2 very big & proud Japanese electronics firms, had all the bells & whistles Sony & Matsushita could cram in 'em, & had very good performance. Only problem is that w/these sets, you tend to start to butt up against the collector "nuts" who want one of these things for what they are, rather than for what they'll do, & run up the prices on 'em.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:25 AM
AK Member

Kenwood R1000. You can find them used and it is a nice rig. Its a desktop, not small.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:38 AM
DTV blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Another couple of choices if you're not afraid of "old" would be Sony's CRF-150, 160, 230 or 330 models, or Panasonic's RF-3000, 5000, & 9000 models. They were the respective "flagships" of 2 very big & proud Japanese electronics firms, had all the bells & whistles Sony & Matsushita could cram in 'em, & had very good performance. Only problem is that w/these sets, you tend to start to butt up against the collector "nuts" who want one of these things for what they are, rather than for what they'll do, & run up the prices on 'em.
Here's a 5000:

And a drool-worthy 9000. A Panasonic dealer told me that in 1982 they only made a few thousand of them because they cost so much (±$3000). I believe it.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I would ALMOST swap one of my R-390s for a 9000....Yeah, I'd guess I'd do it, but I'd cry...
Old 12-06-2008, 11:02 AM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

Man, that 9000 looks amazing.