Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:19 PM
AK Member

For Am Either Ccrane SW or one really good one sony ICF-SW7600GR ..This particular one has syc hronus detection which basically injects a crrier signal back into the am to prevent the annoying fading in and out you usually get.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:49 AM
modern primitive

My Grundig has an excellent AM section and has the provisions for connecting an external AM antenna.

My Cambridge Soundworks table radio fills the bill. It pulls in AM stations that both of my Sony table radios don't even know are there. It's similar to the Tivoli radios mentioned in a previous post.

C Crane Company has the best selection of quality AM receivers and antennae you will find anywhere.

The best civilian AM receiver I've ever seen was the classic combo of the McKay-Dynek AM receiver and matching antenna. It set a standard that few have even approached, much less matched. Good luck finding one of these!

If you want what may be the best wide-band AM receiver ever made, acquire a surplus AN-R390. It's a military-grade all-tube unit that was used from the 1950s until the early 1980s. With a suitable antenna it would put to shame any other receiver I have ever seen or heard. The chances of finding a working model are small but it remains the standard against which all others must be judged. It's as big as a large microwave oven and weighs 40 pounds and is full of hard-to-find parts. And, if you can find one in good shape it will sell for large $$. Of course.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:14 PM
EFSP

Sangean 909.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:22 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
You do not define the term "best reception" so hard to answer. Does it mean best sounding, best to pull in far off stations, dx'er, or other? Also, portable or not and with or without external AM antenna connection?

As you do mention modern so discussing things like good am radios from the golden tube days that are 1st class receivers or later units. You also mention radio so tuners are out.

I found one that is sensitive, sounds good, and pulls well. Also, has a good FM section and output for stereo through the headphone jack and has stereo line outputs. Also, has SW. It is portable and can use either D or AA cell batteries and the batteries last a long time. Tuning is easy as it is an analog tuner so not lots of buttons to deal with while it does have a digital readout so easy to dial into a specific frequency. There were originally in the $200 range but now can be bought in the $60 range.as they've been out a few years and early on had some QC issues. It is the Eton S350DL also marketed as the Grudig S350DL.

I work in an office that is on the interior of a steel and cement facility with 12 floors of computer company and next to me 2 server rooms. Talk about a tough test for AM. It is the only radio I've tried that can pull in any AM stations and it doe so rather well. No, not noiseless but, good enough for listening while the others I've and others have tried will not even pick up a hint of an AM station. A number of others in the facility have likewise picked them up for their offices.

The unit has a decent sized speaker and separate bass and treble controls that are effective.

I've now got 2 of them with the other a bedside radio sitting on my Hallicrafters SW tube radio.
I agree. I have A Grundig S350 in my work office. Good sound. Pulls in an astonishing amount of FM/AM stations. Easy to use (has knobs!)
Old 11-28-2008, 10:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Redsun RP2100 (Sold as the C. Crane SW in the USA) or any one of the clones of that radio sold in various parts of the world.

The FM tuner has 4 tuned circuts is vary sensitive.
The AM side is very good as well & SW is very sensitive off the whip alone.
Audiokarma
Old 12-01-2008, 02:16 PM
simul justus et peccator

Location: Rheinhardt Station, Peters Colony, Republic of Texas
You can't go wrong with a Tivoli Model One.

McIntosh MA6100, Klipsch Klipschorns, Denon DP-1800 w/AT-15SS, Sony XDR-F1HD, Yamaha CDC+Entech dac
McIntosh MAC4100, Fons Mk1 w/Shure M97xE, AR3a, Frazier Mk V, Yamaha NS1000M, TEAC A-2300SR
H.H. Scott 299D, Frazier La Fiesta, Tivoli Model CD, ELAC 40A
Old 12-05-2008, 03:11 PM
AK Member

I have the Sony HD tuner and it does a nice job on AM. (I replaced the loop that came with it with a long piece of wire.)

A car radio might be the ticket for AM too, although I don't know how well the newer ones work. Certainly the old AM-only ones should do a great job, and I remember the AM/FM ones from the late '70s / early '80s had good AM reception too.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Sr. Hyperbole Strategist

Quote:
Originally Posted by daro View Post
Redsun RP2100 (Sold as the C. Crane SW in the USA) or any one of the clones of that radio sold in various parts of the world.

The FM tuner has 4 tuned circuts is vary sensitive.
The AM side is very good as well & SW is very sensitive off the whip alone.
I've got the RP2100 also, and agree that it really grabs the stations, has great sound. It is perhaps the best overall radio I own... and it has RCA outputs for connection to my integrated amp; a nice touch. I bought the SSB external module and it works like a charm. Currently the radio is attached to a 60 foot horizontal wire.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:45 PM
ZL2MC

AM and modern I believe was the original request so the Tivoli's and HD's are out. GE Superradio 2's were very good, sensitive and with a big speaker. Not modern. How much do you want to spend? Portable or tabletop? Most of the expensive 'communications' type radios have poor audio due small speakers. I agree with the Redsun, but see if you can find someone with a Kaito 1103 or better still a Tecsun PL450 or PL600. Google for 'tquchina' on EPay and you'll be surprised on what you get for your money.

If it ain't glowin', it ain't going'.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:48 PM
AK Member

Marty, by any chance are you 'tquchina'? Tecsun btw is the company that makes the Eton radios. So whether you buy Eton or Tecsun you are still getting Tecsun manufacturing and quality. You eliminate the Tivoli out of hand. Not sure why as they are in production and the quality is very good for an am/fm radio.
Audiokarma
Old 12-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Analog Addiction

There is one cheap radio that Blows away any receiver I have including my collins it's the Sony XDRF1HD HD Radio Tuner . Can't be beat spec wise either unless you go over a few thousand.I was a naysayer but now I'm a believer.

-Mike
Old 12-24-2008, 02:53 AM
ZL2MC

Hi Brian - no way am I tquchina! I think he's in Hong Kong and is the export agent for Tecsun/Degen/Kaito/Redsun and all those other factories in Guangchou who also rebadge them into the Eton/Grundig range. I eliminated the Tivoli as I assumed you wanted shortwave capability but if you just want BC then fine. It seems a little expensive here (New Zealand) for a two band radio. Have a great Christmas and hope you eventually find the 'right' radio!

If it ain't glowin', it ain't going'.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:30 AM
simul justus et peccator

Location: Rheinhardt Station, Peters Colony, Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoco View Post
AM and modern I believe was the original request so the Tivoli's and HD's are out.
Tivoli Model One and PAL are AM/FM. The AM reception is excellent.

McIntosh MA6100, Klipsch Klipschorns, Denon DP-1800 w/AT-15SS, Sony XDR-F1HD, Yamaha CDC+Entech dac
McIntosh MAC4100, Fons Mk1 w/Shure M97xE, AR3a, Frazier Mk V, Yamaha NS1000M, TEAC A-2300SR
H.H. Scott 299D, Frazier La Fiesta, Tivoli Model CD, ELAC 40A