Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

RCA CTC-5 electronic restoration project completed!

This is the CTC-5 westcott that I bought off ebay from John Marinello back in March. This is an original chicagoland TV set, originally from Park Ridge, IL. Ive had it sitting down in the basement since then and have had the chassis pulled and sitting on another bench out of the way since April.
I actually attempted to sell the set on ebay a few months back, but am glad the reserve was not met. I finally made it important to restore this set and will now be keeping it for the collection. Its too nice.

It only took the replacement of 49 paper wax caps to do most of the job. I used all exact value sprague orange drops were ever I could. Some of the odd values such as .0018uF and .0039uF, I used off brands as they were not available from sprague. Having the weller desoldering station made this job much more efficient and clean.

ESR was bad on only one of the filter caps and was replaced. The others were excellent still and left them alone.

This set was used up until atleast 1971 as there is a repair tag from then. However, the set does not appear to have daily use from new untill that date or else the PC boards would have been toast.

The CRT was changed out in 1959 with a correct RCA 21AXP22. CRT tests very good. I have not raised the heater or rejuvenated the tube. A few tubes got changed out, still a number of original RCA tubes on the chassis, all dated middle year of 1956.

The set was in a very clean home and probably never in a basement as there is no mold/mildue presence or chassis rust.

These sets are quite different when it comes to convergence. I had the service manual to guide me along luckily. After the recap, the set was slowly powered up and had a nice color picture and great sound. It is not even neccessary to align the IF or chroma circuits. The picture is great on this set and should be a reliable set for years to come. Another early roundie is up and running!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56rca14.jpg (90.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 56rca15.jpg (100.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 56rca6.jpg (100.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 56rca7.jpg (113.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 56rca9.jpg (107.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 56rca10.jpg (108.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 56rca8.jpg (112.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 56rca13.jpg (61.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 56rca16.jpg (50.9 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by drh4683; 03-14-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:36 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

Excellent Job Doug. Its god to see yet more early color sets being restored and enjoyed!
Old 10-21-2007, 11:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've heard that the roundies have a really nice red phosphor, but in looking at these pics, and of other roundie sets. i have noticed the Blue really stands out as a almost electric blue. I loved the pictures someone else took of a set with a DVD of the film State Fair playing on it. Doug, thats beautiful work on the RCA!
Old 10-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Living The Draper Ethos

Has anyone actually gone through the effort to etch new PC boards for early RCA roundies? In this day of digital imaging it would be as easy as removing all of the components from the boards of a junker chassis and then simply scanning the trace sides of each board with a flatbed scanner, using photoshop to convert the images to grayscale, inverting the images, and then printing them on transparency film with a laser printer. A clothes iron could be used to transfer the pattern onto blank PC boards, which could be etched and drilled.

http://www.headwize.com/projects/garbz2_prj.php
Old 10-21-2007, 01:47 PM
<-- "Byron"

"Super" nice, Doug... Let me know when you're through "borrowing" it! (Ha ha)
Audiokarma
Old 10-21-2007, 05:05 PM
I love old stuff

It's a classic answe, but man, you got yoursfel an owsome colour tv! Shees, I want too to know how to restore tvs!
Old 10-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Beautiful Doug, of course it's a little out of place among your Zeniths.
I on the other hand have lots of RCA's, it'd be tough but I could find room for one more...
Old 10-21-2007, 05:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Smile

Congratulations Doug! I have heard that "you can't get a good picture on a Special". BS! Your 5 looks great!
I have only done one 5 so far, and it's waiting to be reunited with the cabinet. I found the chassis very easy, and enjoyable to work on.
Kevin
Old 10-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Gizmo Nut

Yeah,, that sure looks like a keeper to me. Very very nice!
Dan
Old 10-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Convergence freak!

Great job Doug! That set really looks sharp! Dont mean to sound all duh, but I thought those big color bars on those components were resistors! I gotta whole bunch of those in my 16 chassis that could be shot...
Audiokarma
Old 10-21-2007, 07:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow! Doug, your photos really show the meticulous and fantastic work you perform in the restoration of your televisions! I am most impressed by the thoroughness of the work you do and the "pride in craftmanship" that obviously comes through in the final product. You see this less and less these days...

Makes me wish you were closer to NJ, as I have a RCA CTC16XL set I would love to have you go through and work your magic on! Nice work!
Old 10-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Bob Galanter

Beautyiful Job Doug. It gives me hope that when I get around to restoring my ctc5 that it will produce as nice a picture as yours. Mine is a Super too, but it has the el-cheepo cabinet on 4 legs.

BTW, before you bought this set from John, on the e-bay auction, I was begging him to sell it to me for almost the exact price you paid for the set. I went out of town on a trip to get my ctc4 and the ctc5 and when I got back he had the ELVIS set on ebay.

I am not going to let John forget that either, even though he is my good friend.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 10-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Fantastic job, Doug. It is nice to see that "Super" chassis looking so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683 View Post
These sets are quite different when it comes to convergence. I had the service manual to guide me along luckily.
I am working on the CTC-5 Super that I got from another AK member, and I am having trouble with its convergence. In particular, I cannot make the "red horizontal" and "green horizontal" adjustments work as described in the RCA Field Service guide. Did you have to go through convergence several times or do other odd actions to be successful? My set has been fully recapped. I have not actually traced for possible circuit problems yet, but all other convergence adjustments seem to work as they should.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:38 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Beautiful! Now that it's working I'd like to find a time to come by and see it. I have been buried in work, so it probably can't happen for a while.

Green with envy over your good tube!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:56 PM
roundie not so n00b

hmmm... care to do my 21-T639?

Another idea.....instead of expensive anti-psychotic drugs, let's provide schizophrenics with dummy bluetooth headsets. They'll easily blend into the crowd, although I suspect their "conversations" would be far more rational than those of the typical Wal-Mart shopper.

Ron
Audiokarma