Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Danny in Cleveland

Video Claibration Message on JVC VCR HR-S2901U

Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone can offer any 2 cents on a JVC VCR model HR-S2901U. It produces a blue screen with the message "Video calibration" & "unusable signal", audio OK. When fast forward or Re-wine & pause you can see the signal. Cleaning of heads & transport no help.
Thanks in advance
Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

You have to access the main function menu by pushing the "menu" button on the remote, then set the "superimpose" function to off. Once you do that there will be no more "video calibration" messages appearing on your screen and becoming embedded in your videotape recordings. If the power goes out or your VCR gets unplugged you will once again have to turn the "superimpose" function to off. I have several JVC S-VHS units and I know from experience how difficult they are to program.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Danny in Cleveland

Hey, thanks for the reply Classictv80s! What if you don't have the original remote? Can that function be accessed with a universal remote. I'll give it a try. Found or gift electronic units [U]NEVER[/U] come with their remotes as you probably know.
Thanks
Dan
Old 03-07-2011, 04:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

I don't believe most universal remotes could access the main menu, especially given how much of a pain JVC S-VHS machines are to program. However, some time ago Amazon had a new old stock JVC branded universal remote control that was being offered by a number of private and affiliated sellers. I know this because I bought one for my mother to replace a remote for a JVC television at the school she teaches at that was stolen. If I remember correctly, I was able to get the JVC remote to turn on one of my JVC VCRs. Try going to amazon.com and doing a search for "JVC universal remote control." With shipping it was about $15.

If you want the safest guarantee that you will gain access to your JVC's main menu, you could go to remotes.com and buy a replacement remote for your model number, but they are much more expensive than a universal remote - replacement remotes usually cost around $30.

Last edited by classictv80s; 03-07-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Another option you may have is that a lot of charity/tip stores sell remotes for a dollar or two each. They often have a basket full of them from where a donation unit has not worked, so they won't sell it, but they may be able to get something for the remote.
Most JVC units that i have seen from 1984 until at least about 1999 work on the same signal. Having said that you will want a recent one with a menu button.
Could be a lot cheaper option and might just work.
Cheers
Tony
Audiokarma
Old 03-08-2011, 04:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Excellent point, I found a missing remote for one of my JVC VCRs at a thrift shop. It actually came with a JVC S-VHS deck, but the VCR did not work properly so I just took the remote and discarded the broken VCR - after salvaging a number of working parts from the dead unit.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Not sure how I got here.

you can get one on ebay, type in the model number and the word remote. Originals are nice to have, and the ones with jvc Svhs units are way better than universals and even worth a few bucks more. They also make programing much faster.