Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Radio repair shop.

Until about a year and a half ago I had an old, good friend who is skilled in Radio/TV repair. He was a source of good units and did excellent work. He no longer wishes to help me which is his right. There's one lone repair shop in a major city that's been sitting on a Philco chassis of mine OVER A YEAR!

A dead piece of electronics is just a nice piece of wood to polish. I have a Zenith 11S474 that has cable problems (1940 cheap rubber, ick!!). Along with that I have a Zenith 8S154 chassis that needs repair and a Radio Shack DX-160 that needs maintenance. Can anyone give me a reference for a repair shop within 200 miles from Omaha, Nebraska. The 11S474 is the most important to bring back to use. Please help this vintage radio aficionado!

Last edited by Titan1a; 04-07-2019 at 11:30 PM. Reason: wrong tense
Old 04-08-2019, 10:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1a View Post
Until about a year and a half ago I had an old, good friend who is skilled in Radio/TV repair. He was a source of good units and did excellent work. He no longer wishes to help me which is his right. There's one lone repair shop in a major city that's been sitting on a Philco chassis of mine OVER A YEAR!

A dead piece of electronics is just a nice piece of wood to polish. I have a Zenith 11S474 that has cable problems (1940 cheap rubber, ick!!). Along with that I have a Zenith 8S154 chassis that needs repair and a Radio Shack DX-160 that needs maintenance. Can anyone give me a reference for a repair shop within 200 miles from Omaha, Nebraska. The 11S474 is the most important to bring back to use. Please help this vintage radio aficionado!

Hi Rick ,

One possible reason your old friend may have given up is that there are many cases where the amount of labor hours required far exceeds both the value of the (restored) unit and the owner's willingness to pay perhaps 2 to 10X the set's worth to have it repaired . A great example is your rubber wired Zenith , I can't throw out an exact number but say it took 20 or 30 hours to totally restore the chassis . A reasonable labor fee for such skilled labor would be $20 to $25 an hour . $400 to $750 , would you really be willing to spend that kind of money ? This is why the majority of us here are antique electronic technicians ourselves , there is no way I'd pay that kind of money knowing how little the greater majority of these tube radios we love are actually worth .
Old 04-08-2019, 06:29 PM
M is for Memory

It ain't that hard to learn. Just treat it as a game and start on simple radios that you won't cry over if you mess up, and ask questions when stuck/confused.

I gotta agree that sets with rubber wiring are hell...Especially high tube count table stes with shallow chassis (when they pack them full of wires and caps you can't recap them without ruining the wiring)...

As a rule, I never take on rubber wire radio/TV restos for anyone else. I worry it'll catch fire and I'll get sued if I don't change it and I HATE CHANGING RUBBER WIRING...I even try NOT to buy sets with rubber wire for my collection. The time investment to change it is virtually never worth it. Once in a while, I'll buy and recap such a set for my self...If the rubber hasn't cracked or come off I'll do my best to NOT disturb it during a recap so I can leave it and hope it holds together...

All rubber wiring degrades, it is why maker switched to plastic wiring as fast as they could.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-08-2019, 08:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Would I spend up to $750? Depending on the radio (rarity) I would in a heartbeat. I did it before.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:01 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I WISH I had learned how to do a LITTLE bit of radio/TV repair... Trouble is, I've read books on the subject & I'm just TOO effin' Stoopit to figger any of it out. Seriously. Secondly, I have as Mr Buffet so eloquently put it, "Island Sized Paws" & tryin to do any sort of fine, detailed close in work is an essay in frustration for me. We won't even go into having to deal w/my dear, loving Uncle Arthur who has set up shop in both my paws... Meanest one of them Itis boys, ol Arthur is.... Almost as mean as his wife, Auntie Bersie-Itis... Ain't it FUN gettin' Old ?!?