Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:42 PM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

What is the best way to...

...completely and safely dry out a CRT TV mainboard that has become soaking wet, through washing, rain inundation, flooding, or otherwise? I have two boards that will need thorough drying and I am worried most about the flybacks shorting. I seem to recall being told to put them in the oven at the lowest setting (150 degrees?) but I don't remember for how long...or if I should even try it. What do you guys do when a board needs a serious cleaning and drying, when the leaf blower and toothbrush just won't do?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

hang em up and let em dry! I soak boards all the time for repair. you just have to make sure they are completely dry before using them. I usually use air from an air compressor to get the excess water off then let it dry on a hanger for a while (at least 24 hours).
Old 04-22-2013, 02:26 PM

A 24-hour air dry will be sufficient for the flyback to be okay? I remember having rinsed a projection set's mainboard once and waiting about three days, and the flyback wouldn't engage afterward...which is why I'm trigger-shy to do it again.

I use an electric leaf blower for a good few minutes to remove the excess water.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have used lamps & hair dries to speed up drying.
Air compressor works good BUT once I was blowing out
a chassis & a coil snapped off, looked like a wire guided
missile shooting across the shop.
For small boards ive soaked them down with 91%
isopropyl alcohol. Takes the water away & drys fast.

73 Zeno
Old 04-22-2013, 06:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-05-2021 at 08:02 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-23-2013, 08:19 AM

Thanks, guys! I have removed the mainboards and hosed them down gently, hit them with the leaf blower, then hung to dry for a few days. Both would be considered modern; a 1998 RCA 32-inch stereo monitor and a 2005 RCA 20F512T 'TruFlat' set.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 PM
David Thomas

Time is the best method.

Years ago, a customer brought in a 25" Magnavox set to me that he had found in a creek bed near his home. At the time, it was a fairly new set (C5 chassis). He didn't want it fixed, he just thought I might want it for parts. I remember thinking to myself (as I watched the water dripping out of the cabinet) that it was likely beyond salvaging.

I sat it back underneath the workbench, and forgot about it. After about 7 or 8 months, I thought I'd plug it up and see what would happen. Lo and behold, the thing worked! I cleaned up the outside of the cabinet, took it home, and watched it daily for several years.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Modern stuff is really water resistant, other than paper labels and such.

If it's warm where you are you could set them in the Sun for the day to speed things up without getting them too hot.

Edit: Duh, Florida, might be warm there.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

One of the first sets I restored was a 15" Magnavox from the early 60s. When I got it it was filthy-nasty-disgusting. Having nothing to loose, I put a garden hose on the hot water faucet from the washing machine and let her rip. Added a little suds too, IIRC. After a couple days in the hot California sun I put it back together and it worked perfectly. I used it through college, and a year or two more.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:32 PM

That's a pretty wild story, Dave! I hung my boards to dry near the roof inside my storage shed, which gets like a sauna during the day; very hot and dry. I reassembled the small RCA today; works just as it did before, which is good, but apparently cleaning the board didn't solve the problem! Go figure. :P
Old 04-25-2013, 11:38 AM

I reassembled the 32" RCA late Wednesday afternoon and am happy to report that after replacing the right side speaker (dead; open VC) the set now works perfect! This set was left for dead and sat on the street in pouring rain for 48 hours, so I am proud I was able to save it. There didn't seem to be any issues with it before the rain, aside from that one bad speaker.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 PM
David Thomas

Glad to hear you got it working!

I think most modern television sets can withstand a little water or dampness, as long as they have ample time to dry-out before powering it back on again.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:33 PM

I still have the 32" RCA, and it's still working great. I am given a certain personal satisfaction from the fact that I saved it from an untimely death. It went from sitting on a dark, rainy curb to displaying Luigi's Mansion in a warm, dry game room.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

One time I saved an older TV that had been outside in heavy rain. I just let it dry out for two days and then tried to start it. Vertical was collapsed. I found a joint on a transistor in the vertical section that was almost totally devoid of solder; I patched that up and all was well. I then sold the set.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

i have taken a many of nasty circuit boards to the car wash. water wont hurt anything just let it dry good. i use a heat gun then a fan. steve
Audiokarma