Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Lines on Picture Tube

I seem to be having something going on yet with my 1986 RCA Console TV.
When I turn on the old gal the picture comes on like it should but if you look real real hard onto the picture tube(especially up real close) you see a dark vertical line on the left side and behind that is a sign of bright light underneath. Then on the right side there is a vertical line going down near the extreme right hand edge that appears to be green in color. After the set has been on for a few minutes or so the issue on the left side pretty much disappears and the issue on the right still seems to be there but maybe not quite as noticeable. Also, one other issue it seems to be having is after it has been on for awhile there seems to be a horizontal gap at the very top of the picture tube between the very top of the picture tube and the trim that goes around the picture tube. I still have a good picture and none of the above issues have gotten severe enough yet that they distort the picture that you are watching. I would say that if you aren't aware of the above issues you wouldn't even no they are present except for someone as I that happened to walk up to the set and look real close . I then discovered these issues. Could this perhaps be some leaky or weak capicators on the main board inside?

Thank You!!

Old 08-18-2013, 12:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Signs of a Weak CRT?

I would like to know some of the signs and or symptoms of a CRT becoming weak? Also, what is the normal lifespan of a CRT in a 1980's Model RCA TV?

I have one that is around 27 years old. I have been told that my particular set may possibly have a CRT in it that lasted for a long time.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Hi! RCA XL100 tubes were driven pretty hard, and they show signs of age pretty quick... Usually in the form of a trailing streak of color next to a dark item on the screen.... It would be nice if you could post a few pictures of what you are seeing, it may be something other than the tube.... The color streaking in the aging tubes usually gets worse as the brightness is increased, less as its made a little darker....

Picture tubes generally last longer if they are not used as a spot light. Watch tv in a less than brightly lit room, don't make the tv compete with the sunlight, and keep the contrast low as well, and the tube will last a very long time. I believe that is true for all picture tubes, newer and older.

On time hours have an impact as well.... If the set was used as a spotlight for 19 hours a day, then expect to see a weaker tube there too.

The top of the scan becoming visible could mean at least one capacitor beginning to go bad in some way, if it continues to get worse you may need to do some work..... If its temporary then it may just be a minor voltage fluctuation either in your neighborhood, or the tv. Does your home have a big A/C unit running? or on the same circuit? Be sure its a problem before you go nuts trying to fix it....
Good day.

Last edited by Username1; 08-18-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

My set actually isn't a RCA XL-100 but rather a 1986 Color Trax Model #GLR689PR. I don't have any color bleed problem if I don't turn up the color too high. I have a nice subtle color yet. I don't know how to post pictures on this site.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Console User View Post
My set actually isn't a RCA XL-100 but rather a 1986 Color Trax Model #GLR689PR. I don't have any color bleed problem if I don't turn up the color too high. I have a nice subtle color yet. I don't know how to post pictures on this site.
I don't even know if there's any difference between the XL-100 and ColorTrak sets, aside from perhaps available options. Anyway, attaching photos is easy. Instead of using the quick reply box, click Post Reply under the most recent post, then scroll down and click Manage Attachments. It's pretty straightforward from there. Don't worry if the pics are above the size limits, this forum will auto-scale them.
Audiokarma