Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:05 AM
catman

Full wave loops and 1/4 wave verticals.

G'day all, I had a very nice QSO this afternoon up on 20 m with a Ham friend in VK3 (Victoria) and I am in Northern VK4 (Queensland), quite a long way away.

I was switching between my single full wave square wire Quad loop and my 1/4 wave vertical ground plane. You should have seen the ‘S’ meter at this end.

The loop showed an almost constant S8 to S9 plus, and the vertical, ‘all over the place’! Amazing to observe really! I love my Quad loop, I just wish it was a ‘bit’ higher! The vertical is better on distant DX signals, but for more 'local' signals the loop is amazing! Felix (vk4fuq) aka catman.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

You know the old saying Felix, vertical antennae radiate equally poorly in all directions.

If one has a properly installed vertical antenna with the needed RF counterpoise system or one of the offset fed vertical antennae, they will work OK in certain instances.

The take of angle of the vertical antenna makes it a good candidate for DX.

I use both a Hy-Gain 18AVT and a Hy-Gain DX-77. The DX-77 supplies its own RF counterpoise and works better than one might expect.

However, as you know there is no substitute for full sized, resonant antennae and the loop antenna is one that I enjoy using.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

If those whips on the tanks are quarter wave antennas, looks like the Chinese army could get on 15 meters . I'm sure you're not operating from a tank, but verticals are known for not working well if the grounds are not good.