Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
<snip>
BTW, what station did New Orleans' WJMR-TV become when it switched to a VHF channel, and what UHF channel was it on?
It would lead to today's WVUE, Fox 8 (which, in more than a little irony, would later petition the FCC to go back to its UHF temporary digital channel).
The old UHF channel was 61, but had changed to 20 before changing to VHF.

The station has been through an amazing number of QSYs!

See the Wikipedia page:
<<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WVUE-DT>>

Quote:
Was it a network affiliate?
Yes, has never been independent (again, see Wikipedia page).

The more I read about TV station history, I'm perplexed as to why so many stations in the 1950's were built on UHF when and where vacant VHF channels were still available (note that WJMR came before WWL-TV occupied channel 4 there), history is full of these, WPGH Pittsburgh (which somehow survived) and KCEB Tulsa (which did not), for example. The death rate for these stations was severe. These UHFs usually lost their network affiliation when the VHF newcomer arrived, quickly lost their advertisers, and revenue, when this happened, and died.

I wonder if one needed better political and/or social connections to get a VHF CP than a UHF CP back then.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

WDSU signed on in 1948 (iirc) on channel 6 - we never had a channel 5 here.

WJMR was on 61 from 1953-56, 20 from 1956-59, 13 from 1959-62, 12 from 1962-70 and 8 from 1970-09. It was renamed WVUE in 1965. It was a CBS affiliate until WWL signed on in 1957, when ABC became its primary affiliation.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here in Austin, Texas, there is only one VHF station(at least in the analog days-not sure if they have moved), Channel 7. The others are all UHF. I suspect the fact the the LBJ family owned Channel 7 back in the 1960s had some effect on this.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:10 PM
<----Zenith C845

Erie, Pennsylvania has the same situation -- only one VHF channel (WICU-TV NBC channel 12); the other four stations (all network affiliates) are UHF. There is at least one other TV market in the US besides Erie and Austin that also has only one VHF channel, the rest being UHF, but I don't recall where. This was probably done when the FCC was first starting to assign UHF TV channels in this country; if a market had one VHF network affiliate already, the others would be assigned to UHF channels. Some markets, such as Youngstown, Ohio and Fort Wayne, Indiana, have only had UHF stations as long as they have had TV; this was probably because these cities got their television stations on the air well after the FCC stopped assigning VHF frequencies to new broadcasters.

BTW: For AUdubon5425: Thanks for the information on WDSU-TV; I must have mistaken the "6" on the side of the old WDSU-TV camera for a 5. Also, thanks for the info on WJMR-TV. I had no idea that station had been through so many channel changes over the last 53 years, finally settling on channel eight as a FOX affiliate. That's interesting to me, as the long-time CBS affiliate in Cleveland, WJW-TV, was sold to FOX Broadcasting in the early nineties and was, of course, switched to FOX, after more than four decades with CBS. The CBS affiliation promptly went to a 3.7-megawatt ERP UHF station in Cleveland (it is actually licensed to the eastern Cleveland suburb of Shaker Heights), WOIO-TV; the network has been on "CBS 19", as the station is known locally today, ever since. I have always thought this was a poor decision to put the CBS affiliation on channel 19, since the station has (or had) very poor OTA coverage to the west of Cleveland. However, I guess that doesn't matter so much nowadays with the station (and all other Cleveland TV stations, all network affiliates) being carried on all area cable systems, as well as satellite TV providers.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 12-25-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyurkon View Post
This looks like a color Admiral. I'm guessing that because of the large round CRT. Anyone know what model it is? Seems to be blonde with doors. The TV that is.

It appears that she was tuning in Amos & Andy.

John
John,

Once I got past the cheesecake and was able to concentrate on the TV, I also thought the lettering below the screen says Packard Bell. It also looked like one of those CTC-4 clones, except for the bottom knob. No pun intended. The SAMS index lists Packard Bell color set models 21CC1 & 21CC3 in folder 386-2. That would place it around 1956 or so. Must have been one heck of an office party in any case.

-Steve D.
Audiokarma
Old 12-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

"Bottom Knob...No pun intended..." Yeah, sure...I gots a bridge I want you should buy, too...(grin) Just teasin'...
Old 12-25-2009, 02:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Erie, Pennsylvania has the same situation -- only one VHF channel (WICU-TV NBC channel 12); the other four stations (all network affiliates) are UHF. There is at least one other TV market in the US besides Erie and Austin that also has only one VHF channel, the rest being UHF, but I don't recall where.
Binghamton NY had one VHF and the rest on UHF back around 1980, channel 12 IIRC. Worked in that town then for 2 years, not much there. Listened to NYC AM stations WABC and WNNBC (you could get them on the car radio fine) as the locals were awful.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Riders shows only one model number grouping in volume 21 for Packard Bell, which appears to be a cTC-5 clone. This is the same set Steve D identified in Sams. Was there another Packard Bell roundie?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7357.jpg (70.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 12-25-2009, 04:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think the set is a 24" Packard Bell Monochrome set, using a 24BP4. One model (but not the one shown) would be 2622 shown in Sams set 196 folder 10 (3-53).

Add...Also similar to model 2118 shown in Sams set 204 folder 7 (5-53).

jr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0572.JPG (112.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Packard_Bell.jpg (143.0 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg Inside PB.jpg (117.5 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by jr_tech; 12-26-2009 at 02:04 AM. Reason: add more pix of set
Old 12-25-2009, 07:09 PM
console lover

I'm glad the question came up for the chance to see John's pics. I never knew of those Packard Bell 50s roundies! But the set playing Amos & Andy (which was in first-run airings 1951-53 BTW) is definitely a large screen black and white set.
Audiokarma
Old 12-25-2009, 07:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
I think the set is a 24" Packard Bell Monochrome set, using a 24BP4. One model (but not the one shown) would be 2622 shown in Sams set 196 folder 10 (3-53).

Add...Also similar to model 2118 shown in Sams set 204 folder 7 (5-53).

jr
That does look very similar. And now that I see what the "Packard Bell" label looks like, it's at least certain that's the brand.

John